La Casa di Nonna

41 Rue Hoche, Cannes, France, 06400

Serves meat, vegan options available. Italian restaurant with vegan pasta dishes, salads, avocado toast and crumble. Has vegan mylks for drinks. Gluten-free options. Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-7:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by voltigeou

finally found a vegan(ish) restaurant in france! - Edit

Finally after ordering cheese-less pizzas for a week i was able to have a real meal! All the vegan dishes are helpfully specified, along with vegetarian and gluten-free meals. I had the pasta arrabbiata which was actually spicy and not bland with a few sprinkles of chilli pepper. We were also given a free loaf of bread which i dipped in salted olive oil. Service was prompt with the waiter attending us whenever needed. The menu has an english description too if you're unsure of any ingredient, which was handy as i didn't know the pasta names! All in all, a very good restaurant which i would highly recommend.

Pros: Menu is in english too

Cons: Smell of urine passes through occasionally

Comme ci comme ça - Edit

I've been a few times now, only ever for coffees. They have a good range of soya/almond milk hot drinks, cappuccino, latte, matcha etc, I would definitely recommend them. it is in the central cafe/restaurant street of Cannes pretty near the station, it's somewhat pricey (yet not much different to Starbucks truthfully) so it's relatively understandable.

For food however, the price puts me off every time... €13 for avocado on toast, the usual €12-15 for a simple pasta dish. I tend to just make that stuff at home anyway, nothing attractive for me there.

I'd recommend La Casa Di Donna for a decent coffee in a nice setting while you're out and about but I'm still yet to want to try the food because of the price.

Pros: Soya and almond milks, Good quality coffee, Nice setting

Cons: Expensive, Nothing imaginative for vegans on the menu

Wouldn't bother if I had my time again - Edit

We came here simply because it was on the Happy Cow app. We walked past three days in a row before we finally found it was open and we were so excited to eat here. If it didn't have vegan labelling on the menu I don't think it would make it onto this app. We had tomato and basil pasta each. Both came without basil. So essentially it was a tomato pasta for about 12 euros each. The sauce was bland, I suspect it was literally blended tomato. So we ended up smothering it in salt, pepper and olive oil to give it some taste. There are so many more bistros and restaurants in the area that I feel could do a better tomato pasta but just don't say vegan explicitly on the menu. I wouldn't go there again and I'm disappointed that we waited almost all of our holiday to go there and we were very underwhelmed!

Pros: Nice setting

Cons: Food was bland, Service was not great

Very bad service unfriendly - Edit

This was my second visit to this place and both times we have had rather rude service. Typically French. The first visit was a few months ago with my fiance and we received the same rude abrupt non chalant service. The meals we had then were the steamed vegetables and the pasta dish. Both extremely overpriced and bland. We were charged 15/16 euro per dish for basically soggy vegatables and pasta with a bit of sauce. I make better food at home. The staff were unfriendly and abrupt.

I saw that they do vegan milks for the coffee and decided to give it a second chance. Me and my friend were met with the same rude abrupt non chalant French demeanour. After being handed the drinks menu we asked if the hazelnut milk was vegan to which the very couldn't be bothered looking waitress said she didn't know. For a place advertising vegan milks they really should know. We both chose a normal as stated on the menu ice soya coffee. I advised them I was dairy allergic.

Without being advised the "french" iced coffee was actually cappuccino which it did not state on the menu. There were options for cappuccino marked separate on the menu which we clearly did not order. We ordered and I couldn't ask more clearly two normal coffee iced with soya. They came and were covered in cacao to which my friend is allergic.

I asked if it was chocolate/cacao and we were rudely and patronisigly told that's the French way. We were spoken to like children. To which my friend said get me the menu I'll show you because that's not what the menu says. Suffice to say the menu was not brought over. The drink was begrudingly remade. When it came to pay at first he said 10 euro for two coffees which didn't seem right as it said 3.60 on the menu. But then proceeded to charge us 6 euro each! The remade drink was mostly soya milk!

On top of that there was a very strong smell of urine and toilet in the restaurant.

We will not be visiting a 3rd time and wish we hadn't a 2nd time. There are much friendlier nicer coffee shops nearby with a nicer atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend going here unless you like people being rude to you and wasting money being overcharged for something you could make better at home. I would recommend that this place is taken off happy cow. With such poor rude service, bland overpriced options it doesn't deserve to be on here.

I don't know if it's because we were English or judgemental views of how we looked but this place is definitely not friendly or worth your time.

Pros: None

Cons: Rude unfriendly staff, Overpriced bland food, Staff don't know what's clearly vegan

Very nice breakfast - Edit

Since I was a bit disappointed about the vegan restaurant culture in Cannes (there is none😉) I was very happy to find this place.
We had breakfast and they had a few vegan options and you could veganise some dishes since they serve vegan margarine and plant milks.

I had a baguette with vegan butter and jam and a fresh juice which was really good. Saw also a nice vegan crumble but unfortunately not hungry enough to try it.
For sure I can recommend this place.

Pros: No funny loons when you ask about vegan options, Great juice options, Really nice interior

Very good with vegan and GF options - Edit

After being told there were no GF options in Cannes I quickly searched HappyCow for some options. I walked just down the street to this restaurant and found gluten-free avocado toast and and an almond miIk latte. Both were very good, the service was typically French, if you know what I mean. But I would still recommend this lovely place for people with dietary restrictions interested in healthy food.

Pros: GF, city center, lovely interior, vegan options.

Très sympa - Edit

Options végétariennes, véganes, et sans gluten à la carte pour les repas du midi et du soir, y compris pour les boissons lactées (lait de soja ou lait d'amande) . Le patron a promis d'ajouter du beurre végétal pour le petit dejeuner.

Pros: Très bon

Return to Cannes Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Casa di Nonna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.