La Casa del Pan

• Vegetarian
Contact 6787215

Real de Guadalupe 55, San Cristobal De Las Casas, Mexico,

Panaderí­a y cafetería. Menu features mostly Mexican dishes, plus salads, pizza, and sandwiches. Has a nice inside patio. In the same building you find a Spanish school, cinema club, and yoga room.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Mexican

First Review by knowlesnotbeyonce

NO es vegetariano - Edit

Hay un estereotipo sobre los negocios que hacen dinero a base de los veganos sin que ellos lo sean y este lugar lo cumple.

Llegando a La casa del pan dude de que el lugar fuese el correcto debido a que las sillas de enfrente son o simulan explícitamente ser de piel, lo cual fue una primera advertencia.

Ya adentro tienen una muy pequeña fuente con dos peces sin espacio suficiente para tener una buena calidad de vida, lo cual considero que está totalmente fuera de lugar que se proyecta como vegetariano-vegano.

No disfruté mi comida pensando en los peces y en el descaro de tenerlos en tan deplorables condiciones a la vista de todas las personas.

Creo que este lugar es solamente de pose aprovechando el turismo "alternativo" hippioso de Chiapas.

Cons: Asientos de piel, Pecera improvisada deplorable

Great mexican breakfasts - Edit

I went here for breakfast and it was absolutely delicious. After going here for breakfast I came back the next day too. Everything on the menu is vegetarian and a few of them can be made vegan also. Unlike some of the other vegetarian restaurants in the city, the food was largely authentic mexican cuisine although they offered tofu with a lot of the dishes to make them vegan (instead of eggs). It was the best mexican vegan food that I had in Chiapas. My dad whom is an omnivore also loved their breakfasts. They have an english menu.

There is also a bread shop and smoothies available. There is a shop upstairs that sells a lot of local crafts, coffee, tea, natural beauty/hygiene products, zapatista art and literature, and handmade metalwork as well as a couple mexican cookbooks (some in both english and spanish). Definitely a restaurant to check our if you're in San Cristobal.

Pros: good service, large vegetarian menu, diverse

Cons: Not open for dinner :(, not as many vegan options as vegetarian

Vegan breakfast galore! - Edit

I came here just to buy some bread for breakfast in my hostel, glanced at the menu and ended up staying for a meal, just because there were so many vegan options! I had the Tofu y chives which was so good and came with coconut 'bacon', fried mushrooms, avocado,tomato and a coffee, plus a choice of whole grain bread or tortillas. I thought it was good value as that all came to 83pesos! The bread was good, similar to rye but there were some spice seeds baked into the crust(aniseed?) which I disliked.

Pros: Good value, Good sized portions, Many vegan options

Cons: Service a little slow

Quite ordinary place - Edit

Went before the alternative cinema el puente in the same building. Got nice bread with spread, had crepes that were really good, a bit expensive. Not a memorable place though. We were a few ppl but the place seemed to big so it felt empty. Staff was nice.

Pros: Tasty, Cozy fire, Cinema in same place

Cons: A bit expensive, Too big / Too few ppl

So so and expensive - Edit

I didn't care for the food I ordered - I had a soup and a tamale plate. It was too bland. Also very expensive. They advertise as "organic" but many people have said it's simply not so - there is some organic food but much is just Sams flour in the bread (The House of Bread) and selling it as organic so they can charge more.

Pros: Vegetarian, Easy to get to

Cons: Untrustworthy, Bland

Excellent - Edit

I am so surprised to read some negative reviews about this place. The food here is delicious. The ingredients used are of high quality. The lunch buffet has beautiful prepared salads. There are many vegan options. The staff is nice and efficient. It is moderately priced. Excellent!

Pros: Quality Ingredients, Lunch Buffet, Delicious

Cons: Space could use a feng shui makeover

Casual Vegetarian Eating - Edit

Last time I was in San Cristobal de las Casas I ate here and though it was good I found it expensive. I ate mostly at another vegetarian restaurant (sadly now closed).
Someone reminded me about this place yesterday and I thought I would try it again since I do like my money to go and support the vegetarian/vegan/alternative culture.
I had excellent enchiladas verdes for breakfast (their coffee was not as smooth as the coffee shop next door).
I also tried out their buffet for a late lunch. It is MX$120 but if you are hungry and can eat lots it is certainly worth the money and the volume you can eat. Unfortunately someone in the kitchen needs to use a bit more spice and herbs for some of their dishes (you can add salsas and condiments yourself though). The plantano lasagna was good but could have used some herbs and spices to take it to another level.
On the whole I would certainly return but I would recommend that they encourage their kitchen to use more spices and herbs. We are here to experience the flavours of Mexico - not mediocrity.
Great Lime pie for dessert.
I would give it 3.5 cows but the system only allows 'fair' and 'very good'.

Pros: Vegetarian, Support Counter Culture

Cons: Needs more spice/herb/flavour

Good but not great - Edit

I agree with some of the comments being made about the food being bland. Me and my partner went twice while in San Cristobal. Once for breakfast, which was encredibly bland and lacked salt and spice. The Chilaquile was great with extra salt though.
And once for lunch, which was much better. We had potatoes & oyster mushrooms in sauce which was good. And grilled veggies with beans and rice, which was great. The homemade bread was awesome! Vegan options were many, but be very specific (it doesnt hurt to say it twice) as they forgot both times and served us stuff with cheese and cream. They took it away and gave us new food without complaints though.

Pros: Lots of options to be made vegan., Traditional mexican food! , Lovely setting.

Cons: Lacks spice and salt. , Many young backpacker hippy types.

Good but there's no lack of alternatives - Edit

The veggie burger was nothing out of the ordinary, but the breakfast tamales were great (and very filling). The croissant was different from the normal European ones - much thicker - but tasty.

Pros: Lots of options, alcohol, wifi

Cons: Feels very touristic

A good meal - Edit

I went here twice. The first time I just had the vegan lemon coconut tart and it was so delicious. Highly recommend trying. The second time I had a vegan burrito and it was really good. I also tried the yogi tea, which you can order with soy milk. This was one of the nicest teas I've tried in a long time.

I think if you're vegetarian, this restaurant is great. The menu says they can veganise anything, but I'm not sure how that would work for some items that are particularly cheese heavy. Still, I liked what I ate and would recommend going here.

Pros: Vegan dessert, Yogi tea

Cons: Can be a bit expensive, street sellers coming in while you eat

Could be a lot better, some very bright spots - Edit

In general, I feel that the other reviewers have a point, but may have not approached the place from the right angle.

True, this place could be SO fantastic, it has the space, kitchen, and resources to put out some incredibly creative food. The attached health food store sells ingredients which would easily make this a 5-star option. However, there are some issues (blandness, lack of vegan options), which I think they are trying to address with their upcoming new menu.

There's no doubt that the current menu is "ovo-lacto" on steroids; it seems to come from the school of thought which believes you should eat eggs, milk, and cheese morning, noon, and night. It's disheartening to see a page of egg breakfasts and nothing featuring the fresh tofu that they also have access to.

However, there is still great food to be had here, and a lot of potential which isn't found on the menu. For example, you can request to replace many egg dishes with tofu, or ask for customized vegan options (just double check that they really brought you something without cheese, as it depends on the waiter's communication with the kitchen).. Yes, the food is typically bland, but you can request chile, spicy sauce, freshly ground lback pepper, and other condiments, or even buy them from the little shop next door. The buffet is hit or miss; sometimes it's great, others it seems like hunks of melted cheese things with some lettuce. They occasionally have delicious vegan tofu cream pie deserts.

Give it a try, but be patient and try to wring what you can out of the place. With so many recent closures of veggie restaurants, it's almost all we have left. The space is beautiful and sometimes features live music, most employees are friendly and helpful, and if you put some effort into it you can get some satisfying breakfasts and lunches.

Pros: One of the only veg restaurants left her, Nice space, Special requests generally welcome

Cons: Menu is way too ovo-lacto focused, Food is hit or miss, Does not live up to its potential

unfortunately not as great as it could be - Edit

I was also disappointed that the food here was bland. Strangely, I think the Mexican food I make at home is much nicer, more spicy, well flavoured and delicious. This food was quite plain, the mole which I was excited to try just tasted like sugary BBQ sauce or something. That said, I loved the blue corn tortillas; there was a good heap of vegies with the food; and the service was reasonably quick and friendly. I'd try it again.

Pros: got vegan food with no problem, decent service and atmosphere, interesting, cheap cinema out the back

Cons: not much flavour , a little pricey

Mediocre at Best - Edit

Visited on 15th June 2012. After reading the first review I have to admit I was a little unsure weather to go to La Casa del Pan on Real de Guadalupe, however I figured that after a couple of years they may not food poison people anymore. Luckily they don't. The restaurant is in an old, pretty colonial building and the decor is pleasant. I had tamales with beans and asked for no cheese, cream etc (in Spanish), my girlfriend had enchiladas with mole sauce. Unfortunately the centre of my tamales had a small amount of cheese. I had eaten enough beans that I couldn't be bothered to complain. Apart from the rouge cheese in my food it tasted bland anyway. And my partner said the same about her meal. All in all not so good.

Pros: Nice place, Friendly

Cons: Not really that vegan friendly, Bland

Please avoid this place! - Edit

I read great reviews about the Navarro location so my girlfriend and I decided to try the Guadalupe locale since we had some shopping to do on that street anyway. What a big mistake! We both decided to take the daily buffet for 80 pesos and it was horrid. We started with bland vegetable soup of the like served in retirement homes. Then we had a salad bar which was actually pretty good, although plain. Our main course was stewed potatos in old bay seasoning. Thats it. Just potatos. Nothing Mexican, nothing delicious. Just potatos. We then had a decent flan for dessert. All of this would have been fine, as we were full. We would have just chalked it up to bland vegetarian food and would not have returned. About two hours after eating it, my girlfriend got violently ill. She has spent the entire night puking with horrible stomach cramps, shakes, and diaharrea. We had not eaten anything else yesterday except the buffet. There was no one eating here on a Saturday afternoon and now maybe I see why. It was overpriced and un-fresh. Maybe some of the lettuce or veggies were old or unwashed. I dont know, but it ruined the rest of our weekend. With so many delicious veg places to choose from in this town, dont bother with this one.

Pros: decent flan

Cons: made us ill, bad service, completely empty restaurant

Return to San Cristobal De Las Casas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Casa del Pan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1350 times since Jul 2009.