La Carotte Qui Rit

Contact n/a

6/16 Mae Haad (at Pier main road), Koh Tao, Thailand,

Menu is similar to Bangkok's May Kaidee vegetarian restaurant. Most dishes are around 100+baht. Restaurant opens to the busy Mae Haad street next to other restaurants. Large Thai food menu including salads, curries, stir fries, noodles, and desserts. Reported to be 100% vegan, Apr 2015.

Category: Vegan, Thai, Take-out

First Review by vegetarek

Hooray for brown rice! - Edit

Finally! We found a brown rice-based vegan restaurant in Thailand! They are all about protein and whole foods here (hence the brown rice) using loads of nuts, tofu and vegan meat substitutes in most dishes. Taste was superb! Large portions, reasonable prices. We recommend the carrot salad that is mixed with a nut and tofu paste, the curry fried rice and pad Thai. Very conveniently located 2 minutes from the downtown ferry pier and shopping area. Highly recommended!

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-15

Pros: tons of protein , no MSG, taste and variety

amazing food and polite service - Edit

Some of the workers English is a little poor but it's no problem I mean if you don't speak another language you can hardly complain if others don't can you, but the owner has very good English, Food and service is incredible honest the fresh spring rolls are to DIE for! And the Pad Thai is the best I have ever had and I love pad Thai!! Been here the past 2 nights and will be returning every evening till I leave Ko Tao 😍😍😍

very good food and lots of choices for vegans - Edit

we loved this restaurant. very nice cook that worked 17 years at may kaidee (vegan restaurant in bangkok). the food is really good, there is a lot of options. the owner speaks French for those who do like us and he's very nice. the only thing is that it's a little expensive when you compare to other vegan places in Thailand but it's definitely worth the visit!

Pros: no msg, Nice owner, very good food, loots of vegan options

Cons: a little expensive for budget (nothing under 100 b

Yummy - Edit

Yummy Thai Food at reasonable prices. It's a small restaurant on the main road from the pier. Seems all vegan but I did notice a picture of an omelette as a breakfast option... The menu is fairly similar to other Thai places but with a few extra tasty options. The vegan pancakes alone are enough of an excuse to go here though! Staff are friendly and relaxed.

Amazing - Edit

I really like it here. Great food, great location and really nice French owner. I didn't know that Thai Food can taste so good. Everything is Vegan. I payed for a Rice soup 100 B and it was really delicious.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice location , Clean kitchen

Great food ! - Edit

The direction map is a little confusing. There are two parallel roads up the hill from the pier. The restaurant is on the one starting at Lomprayan pier. Great food. Looks like all vegan. We came back every day. The seewead rolls taste is heavenly. Strongly recommended

Very good - Edit

Very good, on happy cow it says it's 100% vegan but I don't think it is. Butter, milk, egg, honey and even fish is used in some dishes. Most are vegan though

Pros: Good food, Fast, Nice staff

Cons: Not 100% vegan

BEST PLACE IN KOH TAO - Edit

Loved this little restaurant! Most delicious food, friendly staff, very quick service and very reasonable prices! Went there every night for dinner! Sticky rice w Mango and Banana was a favourite. Highly recommend you support these lovely people.

A daily favorite - Edit

I love this place. Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, and delicious food.
For desert, I highly recommend the black rice with mango in coconut milk. Oh yeah!

Pros: great selection, frequently updated menu, friendly staff

Cons: can't really think of any

so many options - Edit

This place has a lot of options for a vegan! Mostly Thai or Asian style food. Friendly people, fast service and the best veggie/ fruit smoothie I have ever had!

Pros: lots of options , fast , cheap

Excellent, You've got to try it! - Edit

My boyfriend and I read the previous reviews and decided we had to try it and it surpassed our high expectations. The service was great and the food was so flavorful and delicious. Really fair price for the quality and the portions. I wish we were staying in Koh Tao longer just so we could try more things on their large menu. After traveling for four weeks, its officially my favorite restaurant in Thailand.

my favorite place in Thailand - Edit

We were in Thailand for 4 weeks and travelled all around and La Carotte was the best. I loved a lot of places in Thailand but the food here was so fresh and flavorful.

Google maps wasn't accurate, so if you can't find it right away please ask around, it is so worth it. It's right on the Main Street of koh Tao right up the street from the ferry pier.

The prices were very reasonable and the portions were generous. I had the red curry and it was great. My girlfriend had a noodle dish and she loved it.

Truly a great spot with nice people and we are so lucky we found it.

Pros: food, price, food

best vegan/vegeterian restaurant in Koh Tao!! - Edit

The food is amazing! the atmosphere is great and the owner is awesome! you should check this place out, I believe it is one of the best vegan places in Thailand!!

Pros: best food, best atmosphere, good prices

Cons: non

good food - Edit

I had really good curry, mixed veggies and black mango sticky rice at this place. The prices are reasonable, staff is friendly and portions are filling. They don't use msg. Would definitely recommend if you're on Koh Tao.

BEST VEGAN FOOD EVER - Edit

I lived quite far from this restaurant but walked every day half an hour in the heat just to eat there. It's that good. The best food I had during my 1 month trip in Thailand. And lovely stuff, super friendly, I felt like at home. I will never forget the taste of Massaman Curry that I had there!

Pros: amazing food, great value for money, super friendly stuff

Fresh + Friendly + Tasty - Edit

This was so far my best vegan experience in Thailand. Everything is vegan except for an egg omelette which is not listed on the menu and just available upon request. The staff is very real, down to earth and friendly. Their food is so delicious that our group decided to come back evening after evening. Their food is indeed happy and healthy food and I'm glad i found this place! The only thing I didn't like too much was their tofu - it's ok but I'm just spoiled with sprouted tofu and a wider variety. Beside that: outstanding flavored and just a great relaxed and super gorgeous spot!

Pros: tasty food, fresh food, friendly staff

Highly recommended - Edit

This is simply one of the best veggie places in Thailand and the best place to eat at Koh Tao. The food is similar to May Kaidee's in Bangkok since the chef used to work there.

The staff is really friendly and speaks good english and the food is great. Highly recommended.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food

One of the best vegan restaurants on this planet! - Edit

LOCATION: It's the main street in Koh Tao, walk uphill on the main road coming from the pier and you won't miss the carrot sign on the left hand side.

No MSG, homemade food, all vegan. I've done quite a bit of vegan tourism and this was the best restaurant I've ever been to. They serve all Thai food as well as Western breakfast. They can even do oatmeal with coconut milk!

All their curries are great, so are the salads. Make sure to try to the pad thai as well. Prices range from 80-120, definitely a good value for your money. Shakes are heaven sent.

The best thing about the place is the staff though. After a few days they felt like family. Service was really personal and Bruno and his wife are doing an amazing job. Price: Moderate

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, good vibe + interesting customers

Return to Koh Tao Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Carotte Qui Rit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.