Kyotofu Fujino

075-3525401

JR Kyoto Isetan, 11th floor, Kyoto, Japan

Serves meat, vegan options available. On the 11th floor of the department store in the Kyoto train station, a few doors down on the right when you exit the elevator. A tofu restaurant with meal sets and a la carte menu. Has yuba, tofu dishes, and desserts like vegan cheesecake and ice cream. Severs chicken. Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by GardenTiger

Tofu Lovers Only - Edit

We stopped by for lunch before wandering Kyoto Station, the view is absolutely amazing and the staff are very friendly.

The menu is pretty much all tofu-based however none of the set meals are vegan due to fish sauce. Staff are helpful to point out what is fish sauce free. Considering the front page warns that everything isn't vegan (so they obviously know what it means) it would be great if a) they added a vegan set and b) marked vegan items clearly as staff are ok at English but we did have a few communication errors (obviously not the fault of the staff but I assume this would help them a lot also!)

I had the sesame tofu which was ok and the assorted baked tofu which was much more impressive and accompanied by vegan soy sauce as the one on the table contains fish.

I initially asked if the soy milk ice cream contained any dairy (this is sometimes the case in Japan) and was told no so I ordered it. Then the waiter returned and said (or so I thought) that it did contain milk, so I said not to worry about it. It came anyway but wasn't sure if that meant it was in fact dairy free or was served to me by mistake so I didn't eat it.

If you particularly love tofu it might be worth a visit especially if you have a non-veg companion who is super keen and/or you want to enjoy the view. Otherwise give this one a miss as it is quite expensive.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great view, Interesting approach to tofu

Cons: Few vegan (and vegetarian) items, Vegan items not clearly marked , Expensive

Average - Edit

Disappointing. There was quite a queue outside so we thought it must be good. After 45mins we finally got in and thought the set menue looked lovely. then the waitress came and told us it was full of fish stock. We ordered the individual dishes that were veg, and ended up with a very expensive meal of tofu upon bland tofu. furthermore, the wait staff just didn't seem to have it together, making mistakes with us and other nearby tables. Some of this could have been forgiven if they were rushed odf their feet, but when we got in it was very quiet and we wondered why we had waited so long.

Pros: The Ten Lucky sake was lovely, as was the soy ice

Cons: Expensive. Repetitive. A bit bland.

Great food, great location, can be hard to find - Edit

In Kyoto station, search for the department store (Isetan) first, then take an elevator in the store to the 11th floor, there you find a floor map and you can find the restaurant easily.

We went there at 1pm and it was very crowded (1h waiting time), came back in the late afternoon and got a table immediately.

They don't have a vegan/vegetarian English menu available, but the server was able to tell us what is vegan and what is not. Staff was very helpful and nice.
I had fried tofu with rice and vegetables. Portion was small but that's often the case in Japan :)
Food was very delicious, and the view above Kyoto was magnificent. I would happily go there again.

Soy sauce contains Fish so don't use it, I got a fish free sauce with my Tofu so no problem :)

Pros: Great food, Great view, Nice and friendly staff

Cons: Can be very crowded, Small portions, order enough or ask

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kyotofu Fujino closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.