CLOSED: Kyoto Engine Ramen

• ( 179 reviews )

452-1 Matsugaecho, Kyogoku Bldg 1F, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan, 604-8034

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern style ramen restaurant offering vegetarian and vegan options which are labeled on the menu. Has vegetable gyoza (pan-fried dumplings) and two vegan ramen: soy ramen and zesty spicy ramen. Gluten-free soybean noodle and konjac noodles are available. Buy a ticket for the dishes you'd like: the vending machine accepts big notes. English spoken. Est. 2018. Reported closed June 2020. Last order 30 minutes before closing.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Gluten-free, Non-veg

First Review by ghansman

AndrewBlazevic

Points +27

27 Jul 2020

Favourite Ramen!

The Zesty Vegan Ramen was my favourite ramen that I ate during my trip to Japan! Would definitely eat here again

Veganbea

Points +150

16 Jun 2020

Nice ramen and gyozas

The ramen is tasty and not too creamy. It's not my favourite vegan ramen in Kyoto but a reliable option. I definitely recommend trying the gyozas too.

TaraAnnGreen

Points +23

27 May 2020

No longer there.

It is not there anymore.

Sheen per

Points +208

15 Mar 2020

Good but not magic

Had the spicy vegan ramen. It was tasty enough but about half way through had grown bored with the “soup” which was tasteless and boring. But is was a vegan meal and not too expensive so ok.

egrzunov

Points +300

13 Mar 2020

Great vegan ramen

Two vegan options clearly labeled. Was a great ramen, nothing like I’ve had before. Prefer clear broth it got a bit heavy towards the end but great non the less. Good price point also.

Pros: Great flavours, 2 vegan options

Dranrebm15

Points +16

28 Feb 2020

Vegan Ramen option

They have two vegan Ramen Options, one spicy as Well. The staff ist friendly and helpful with ordering.
Your Order and pay at the Automat in the Front of the Store.
The Food was served rather quick and was very delicious.

Unumstritten

Points +13

28 Feb 2020

Two vegan Ramen and dumplings

Staff was very nice and helped with questions. Both vegan ramen options are amazing. One is pretty spicy, JFYI.
We've been here three times during our trip, can only recommend.

maggo

Points +21

18 Feb 2020

Good vegan Ramen

They offer two vegan ramen options. One is spicy and the other one is based on soy beans and mild. We have been 6 days in Kyoto and twice in this restaurant. You order by Engine. Theres english explanation and friendly stuff will help you to order if you need help. Price was ~1300 Yen per Ramen. Try the vegan gyoza also! We didnt order drinks because you get cold tea for free. You find the restaurant in google maps & maps.me. Its in a shopping street in the city center. Highly recommend!

Pros: Cosy , Two vegan Options

turl

Points +24

14 Feb 2020

Delicious spicy vegan ramen

Choice of two vegan options. The spicy ramen was delicious and the restaurant is warm and clean (has a franchise vibe). Seems to be popular with tourists but would definitely recommend for vegan ramen!

MiaShivaunn

Points +59

12 Feb 2020

Seriously Delicious!

So far best value for money that I’ve come across here in Kyoto. Delicious Spicy Vegan ramen & fried gyoza 🥟 yum yum I’m going back for dinner tonight for sure!! Big Serving & big flavour!!

Pros: Easy & fast, Delicious , Great Value

CerataWang

MiguelG

Points +118

02 Feb 2020

Great Ramen

First time we’ve ordered from a vending machine which was a bucket list item that turned out well. The ramen is fantastic but only two vegan options.

Pros: Great taste

Cons: Not much variety

evoluktion

Points +36

22 Jan 2020

How good is sake

Great ramen honestly very nice also try the dumplings or regret it

Sake is strong in the best of ways

Cool vending machines, very touristy, great service and a friendly team

Pros: Dumplings, Sake, All the food

charlotteinjapan

Points +347

19 Jan 2020

I love engine ramen!

Despite some of the negative reviews, I actually really like engine ramen’s vegan ramen and happy to pay a little extra for it. The soup is thicker and very flavorful compared to other ramen places. Almost like pottage. The noodles are really yummy too. I like that they are thicker and not so much like pasta spaghetti like some other ramen places. I tried both the original vegan ramen and the spicy one. I like spice but it was almost too hot for me!!! I was so surprised. I like the original the best. Also there is the option to get a bigger size which I don’t find often at other vegan ramen places. The gyoza is ok, it’s more like a deep fried dumpling than gyoza but appreciate another vegan item on the list. Also it’s convenient to go their with my carnivorous husband lol we can both eat ramen and be happy.

Pros: Tasty vegan ramen , Multiple vegan options , Spacious

brebre

Points +77

17 Jan 2020

Delicious ramen!

Had fantastic vegan ramen and the gyoza. Both were delicious and filling. Staff were super friendly

JuneBugLiv83

Points +66

09 Jan 2020

Filling and Delicious Vegan Ramen

Quirky little restaurant in the busy shopping district.

Order and lay at a vending machine which was fun.

Absolutely delicious veg dumplings and two vegan ramen options - all clearly labelled.

Some much food and full of flavour.

AndyVeg

Points +19

Non Veg
22 Dec 2019

Tourist trap

I have no idea how this place has such a good score, I've had better vegan ramen in Australia.

If you want to pay 1200 yen for a bowl of below average ramen and get catered to as a tourist then go here.

You won't see locals here because it's rubbish.

Cons: Aimed at tourists, Expensive, Poor quality

Veganminshuku3neko

Points +28

11 Dec 2019

Good vegan options

We have eaten here many times, and taken friends staying with us. Love their zesty vegan ramen!!! Also, the fried vegan gyoza are good. The owner recently told us that 50% of their business is now serving the vegan options.

Pros: Tasty vegan options, Nice venue, Good atmosphere

Cons: The vending machine is a little impersonal

LucyChamberlin

Points +30

03 Dec 2019

Hot comfort food!

Spicy and non spicy vegan options in this cosy ramen restaurant. Food comes quickly, staff speak some English- a great place to chill after too much shopping!!

whiskersc

Points +51

Mostly Veg
28 Nov 2019

Ramen with a super rich soup made with daikon, soy milk and rice milk.

Their dumpling are deep fried with green onions as fillings.

roquerynn

Points +305

20 Nov 2019

Great ramen

We enjoyed two of the few options of ramen they had and the gyoza as well. You have to order at a vending mashine. Staff was very friendly and showed us the vegan options although they were clearly marked. The ice tea was free and very refreshing. Would come back!

JulianaElmgren

aportillog

Points +74

02 Nov 2019

Amazing ramen!

This place is really nice! They don't have a lot of vegan options but they are clearly marked (in English). Ramen was amazing: really tasty and creamy. Also tried vegan dumplings and they were great. Staff is really nice and they give you ice tea with your food.

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked, Free tea and a lot of place to sit, Not expensive

Cons: Not so many vegan options

Faanny

Points +30

26 Oct 2019

Amazing ramen

Maybe the best ramen I have had. Would have given 5 stars if I could. My meat eating friends also liked it and you could get your ramen gluten free. Perfect for a mixed company of vegans and meat-eaters.

Pros: Amazing food!, Gluten free options, Good for meat eaters as well

kat_wal

Points +41

24 Oct 2019

Rich and creamy ramen

They offer two clearly labelled vegan ramen dishes and gyoza. If you like creamy ramen, then this is the place to go, but unfortunately it didn't meet my taste.

AnnaStockholm

Points +15

23 Oct 2019

Best Ramen Ever! Great for vegans/veggies

Absolutely mind-blowing ramen. I wish we were here another day so that we could go again!!!!
Ordering was really easy, just a heads up that it is cash only - there is an ATM just round the corner.
Menu is in English and clearly states that there are vegan options. I had the vegan Gyoza and zesty vegan ramen. The gyoza was amazing, I loved that they weren’t greasy. The ramen was just phenomenal, I added an egg and green onions to my ramen. Was so nice to have a meal and not have to repeatedly ask the servers “is this vegetarian? Are you sure there’s no meat”. I will definitely return to this restaurant. We got seated straight away and our food came pretty quickly.

Pros: Easy to order, Amazing food , Not having to question if it’s vegetarian

Cons: It’s not available in my home country , I have no time to go again

epowers

Points +312

23 Oct 2019

Good hot filling meal

Engine ramen has 2 vegan ramen options, clearly marked as vegan. There was a bit of a wait when we arrived and so we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. They were sold out of the vegan gyoza, unfortunately. Before sitting you place your order by purchases tickets for the items you want at a ticket machine. The service was quick once we sat. We had both vegan options and I thought the regular ramen was superior to the spicy. The quality was very good. It’s not the best ramen I’ve ever had but it’s top five for sure. The broth is thick and rich. I felt very comfortably full - something I found hard to accomplish many nights in Japan!

Pros: Very good ramen , Clearly marked vegan options

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kyoto Engine Ramen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 19706 times.