CLOSED: Kwan-Imm Jae

02-2596466

Sukhumvit Soi 24/1 (at near BTS Phrom Phong station, in small street beside UOB Bank), Bangkok, Thailand

Thai vegan food with mock meat. Specializing in "suki" dishes which are hotpots served from a central pot at the table over a heating element. Has water and soft drinks. Staff speaks English. Directions: Be aware of it being soi 24/1, walk 30 meters and restaurant is on right side pass bars & massage parlors; look for yellow & red sign for "jae." The soi (side street) on which it is located, Soi Sukhumvit 24/1 is a "bis" street, meaning that it is one block north of Soi Sukhumvit 24 on the right and unmarked. Reported closed/shut down to HappyCow Sept 2013.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai

First Review by Krsnamayi

Such a shame its closed! :( Great place! - Edit

Really sad to see it closed... I really liked this place :(

I've tip toed through the mine field of massage parlors and made my way to Kwan-Imm Jae on quite a few occasions. It's a simple, friendly... and just damn good restaurant! It has a larger number of local/Chinese clientele... and me when I'm in PromPong! Very tasty Thai/Chinese dishes at good prices. Ooow... I'm getting hungry now. I may well go there a little later today! 5 stars.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 01, 2010

Pros: Great food, Relaxed and Friendly

Cons: Closed

closed but we found another veg. place nearby. - Edit

We went to Kwan Imm Jae but found no sign of it. Their neighbor said that the restuarant has been closed down quite a few months already. As we were so hungry for dinner and had a senior Taiwanese guest with us, we had to quickly find another equivalent veg. Restuarant in the same area. Luckily, we were recommended to go to V residence restuarant which was located on the Main Street next to the gas station where we parked.
This restuarant was even better because they also had vegetarian menu!!
It was newly renovated with cozy atmosphere and very friendly service.

Closed - store front is empty now. - Edit

This place doesn't exist - at least not at this address.

Closed but maybe re-open. - Edit

Rode past today and signage still up. Maybe refurbishing the place.

Still have all the furniture/settings inside. Too early to make a permanent call. Plenty of vegan friendly veg resturants nearby though.

Pros: great food and service

Cons: closed currently

Definitely Closed - Edit

We made a trip over. The place has been vacated.

Too much fried, not healthy - Edit

It was our first place to eat in Thailand. And it was so-so, maybe cause of Singapore (vegan paradise) we visited before. My wife told that her food was too savour and deep fried(
Description of making for me just raw salad took too much time.
Place is clean, but location in dark road between sex&massage saloons was ugly - we were with our 6yrs old kid.

Good Place - Edit

Enjoyed our dining experience here. Simple Chinese decor & fare. Green curry was delicious flavour & lots of veges and tofu. Mini suki was a lovely tasting broth & filled with plenty of veges & mock seafood/meats. Broth was lovely & plenty of veges & mock seafood/meat variety. It closes for lunch at 2pm so make sure you get there early. Some strange things on the menu like pig liver with enoki,double boiled goat meat with herbs etc. We were not that brave to try those but the menu was very extensive. The owners are very friendly and advised the recommended dishes with an asterik. We would definately go back again. Good value with dishes starting at 25bht up to 130Bht

Pros: Great food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Place needs a paint job!

OK food, not mind-blowing - Edit

We went to this place twice now, after checking out many venues in Bangkok that offer vegan food.
The food that you can order is quite good, the suki (Hot pot soup) tastes really blend and boring and the suki sauce they offer with the dish was watery and tasteless.

The prices are OK for this location and the ingredients fresh. It might be OK to go once in a while, but if you live in Bangkok you have more options to go to for vegan suki.
(Be aware though, in many places they use pork stock or chicken stock for the soup...)

Pros: Fresh veggies, OK prices

Cons: Boring taste of the soup and suki sauce

Great sauces - Edit

Came here on the strength of other reviews, despite being not a huge fan of mock meat
Food was good, especially the sauces. We had eggplant with chilli, fish red curry (apparently house favourite), musaman curry and chicken drumsticks

NB Soi 24/1 is now marked with a road sign

makes our tummies happy! - Edit

we were so happy to find this place! affordable yummy food. We didnt have Suki but we had the thai style soup and pad thai one night - the soup was sooo aromatic and wonderful. Pad Thai was ok... had better. Another night we had the Tom Yam Soup (fantastic!!!), chicken fried rice and spring rolls - all great! We also tried the morning glory and mushrooms once - so fresh and delicious and green curry = also good.
We really liked the food - portions were fine. We found that some dishes had too much mock meat and both our tummies were a little sore from it one night - be careful.
But - staff is lovely and everyone in the restaurant is super friendly - the locals love to see foreigners in there :)
price is definitely a bonus with no VAT.
highly recommended!

Pros: huge selection, fresh clean food, not greasy at all

Cons: mock meat can hurt your tummy

Tasty food, nice owners - Edit

They spoke no english, so I'm not sure whether the food has MSG. We enjoyed the meal and it was very inexpensive.

very delicious food - Edit

It was a rainy night when the taxi dropped us beside the main road and asked us to walk into the small street by umbrella. It was so warm when we entered the restaurant. We ordered green papaya salad, small suki, fried rice and red soup noodle. All dishes were so nice! 4 dishes with 260 baht for 3 persons. The staffs were friendly too, told us how to get a sim card from the nearby 7-11.

Pros: cheap, nice food

Liked this place - Edit

I live in Bangkok and went to this restaurant with my girlfriend for lunch after reading the positive reviews here - and we liked it a lot. We had the Masaman curry, Thai style hotdog salad and rice - all very good and reasonably priced. We were the only customers there at the time, as it was towards the end of their lunchtime opening hours, but the service was attentive and friendly. It's a nice quiet spot with a family run feel - the owner happily chatted to us. They have an extensive menu including many mock-meat style dishes, a mix of Thai and Chinese. We'll definitely be back to try the other items on the menu.

Pros: Good location, Tasty food, Lots of choice

Cons: Closes between 14:00-17:00

If you like mock meats, this is the place! - Edit

This restaurant is actually very easy to find as long as you know not to look for the name of the place in roman characters. Just look for the round, yellow sign with the large, red Chinese symbol on it.

They open at 5pm for dinner. I turned up at 5:30 and was the only customer there the whole time. The ambience is closer to that of a cafe than a restaurant, which is fine. The menu is huge but not quite overwhelming and recommended dishes are marked. I went for the chicken drumsticks, as mentioned in a few of the reviews here. Delicious, great texture and served with a sweet chilli sauce. I also got the minced duck with hot and sour dressing. I was glad that it was sctually shredded, rather than 'minced'. Again, great taste and texture, though it was served on some quite limp and unnecessary lettuce leaves. I also got the salted fish fried rice. The bits of 'fish' were the least impressive of the mock meats I had. It tasted okay but the texture was somewhat over-chewy. The rice was brown.

All in all, a delicious and impressive meal. I will certainly return to try more of their menu.

Pros: Interesting menu, Tasty food, Pretty cheap

Cons: Slightly shabby

First taste of Bangok - Edit

Not easy to get to - especially for the local taxi drivers who are anyway a pretty clueless lot. Next to some less-than-savory looking massage places, the restaurant is simple and clean. They boast a large menu and the food was excellent and inexpensive. We had a soup with tofu and mushrooms that was great, Pad Thai noodles with some bean curd that was even more great. And stir fried rice that was sublime. The place closes at 10.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Nearly good, but left us feeling sick - Edit

Part way into this meal I was thinking we'd found yet another winner in Bangkok.

The menu here, as others have mentioned, is extensive (although much of it is Chinese) and everything tastes ok - nothing out of the box, but certainly enjoyable.

We were already aware that mock meat is used extensively here so tried to avoid ordering anything that overtly included it, but alas it popped up in most dishes anyway (sorry but in my mind unless mock meat is made fresh on premises it is at the same level as commercial dog food - much of it is imported from taiwan etc and there have been numerous cases of it being found to contain not only real meat but all sorts of non-food ingredients).

We also specified at the time of ordering that we didn't want them to use any MSG in our food and judging from the response we got the feeling they probably don't use much of it anyway - we couldn't detect the taste in any of what we got, so that was good

The service was prompt and polite and ambience like a typical Chinese joint only a bit cleaner. Certainly no worries there.

The problem for us was that (a) there weren't enough veges (even our 'mix vege tom yum' had very few in there) so despite ordering WAY too much food for 2 people we still felt like we were lacking in nutrients, and (b) whatever oil they are using, it can't be good.

Part way through the meal I had to stop and collect myself - my head was spinning and I felt like I was on my way into a bad experience, feeling light and floaty. When I mentioned it to my partner he said he was feeling a bit off too. We managed to get down most of what we ordered, but feeling a bit nauseous, we came to the conclusion that it must be the oil they use. Both of us are quite sensitive to excess and bad quality oil since we don't usually consume it, so when it pops up, we'll be the first to detect it.

After arriving back at the hotel I was in writhing agony for an hour or so - I'm currently nursing a leg injury and the meal had caused it to flare up majorly for the first time in months.

So although I actually did enjoy the tastes and variety on offer, I'm not sure I'd be game to try it again. If I were to go, I'd stick to the hotpot, or 'suki' on the first page of the menu. That way the oil content is quite low, you can choose all the veges you like (although even then the vege selection is only average) and you can exclude the mock meat. The sauce for the suki was really nice and I'm willing to believe it wasn't too oily.

Pros: Thai hotpot menu, Clean shop, Polite staff

Cons: Bad quality oil, Mock meat nightmares, Insufficient vegetables

Good Buddhist Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

Very nice food with a chinese flavour. We have eaten here a few times now and the food is always yummy. We particularly like the fact that the menu gives non spicey options. The people are helpful and nice - the restaurant is buddhist. Our only negative comment would be that there are no cold drinks on offer. We now take our own cold water and the staff don't mind. Good vegie food.

Pros: Tasty food, Varied menu, Non spicy options

Cons: No cold drinks, Cost a little higher

Delicious! - Edit

The food here is excellent, both Thai and Chinese. Our favourite is the vegetarian fish curry, which is a Penang-style curry with plenty of lime leaves - tastes of the sea (seaweed is used in it), not fish! Restautrant is airconditioned and though not posh os very pleasant.

Tell your frinds to come.

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Kwan-Imm Jae closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.