Kuumba du Falafel

Contact 03-6416-8396

Shinsen-Chou, Me Boulevard 1F 23-1, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 151-0045

Vegan cafe and tapas. Offers falafel sandwiches, hummus, and lentil soup. Reported open hours vary, closes early. Open Tue-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Tue-Sat 5:30pm-8:00pm, Sun 11:30am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern

First Review by EARTHPEACE

Great falafel - Edit

Takes a while to get to the restaurant but it's worth the walk! The staff weren't super friendly when I was in, but there was a language barrier to contend with! The sandwich isn't cheap really, but it gives you a lot for your money. The chilli sauce is lovely so I recommend using it!

Amazing falafel - Edit

I loved this place! The food is delicious and the staff very nice! It was a bit pricey and far from Shibuya station tho. Nevertheless I'd go back and I do recommend it!

Pros: All vegan, Delicious food

Cons: Pricey, Limited seating

Hearty and Delicious - Edit

I saw the reviews were mixed for this place but wanted to try it out. I was not disappointed. the serving of the falafel wrap/sandwich was big and the whole thing was fresh moist and super tasty. well worth the walk. only cons were it is slightly above average for Tokyo prices and it was crowded at the time i went but that's a small price to pay for a big tasty treat after a long day of walking.

Pros: big serve, tasty and fresh

Cons: mildly expensive, may be awkward crowded during peak dining hrs

Falafel was dry - Edit

I love their use of fresh big portion of salad.
However, the falafel was dry.... far from the best falafel I have ever tasted...
The place looks clean but the stuff's hygiene was questionable (every time the waiter brought our foods, he had his not so clean finger in the bowl...).

I would like to give another shot as people seem to love this place.

Pros: Fresh veggies, Big portion

Cons: A bit of a walk from Shibuya, Hygiene..., Dry Falafel

Drink Now Required - Edit

My regret to inform everyone, but the restaurant now requires you to buy one drink per person (minimum of 500 Yen) on top of the price of the food.

I am very sad about this. I used to walk to eat here every week from my work place in shinjuku. I highly recommend going to vespera falalfel in Koenji instead.

:< I will never eat here again.

Not bad but overrated - Edit

The food and ingredients are good. I tried a falafel sandwich and lentil soup, and both were delicious and fresh. The hot sauce in particular is fantastic...made with fresh ground peppers as a kind of paste...one of my favourite things here.

The quality is good, but just note that the prices are higher than average. 1200yen for a falafel sandwich ("full" size, which to me seems just "regular") isn't exactly cheap.

Location is a bit inconvenient. It's not really "close" to anything...kind of in the middle of nowhere, separated from the other side of the street by a highway, and easy to miss once you do find it (small sign). You should use a map to find it first time. The restaurant atmosphere is not that great and is quite bare...basically just a counter. It's ok for a quick bite but that's it.

Finally, as for service...it's generally fine, but to be perfectly frank, there does seem to be an undercurrent of attitude here. I did go mentally prepared, but for someone unprepared or unaccepting of service attitude (especially in Japan), I can see how a visit could go sour.

Summary: Decent food, but seems a bit overhyped. Bear in mind the caution about the service...your mileage may vary but it may be less friendly than you're used to in Japan.

Update: Having gone a few more times since my original review, and encountered varying food quality (twice found the falafels way over-fried...basically dark brown balls of grease, along with variable quality of veggies), I feel forced to revise this review. Also, I have to mention that I've unfortunately seen a bit more of the attitude mentioned by previous reviewers. Not every time, but when it does surface, it is admittedly unpleasant. Bit of a strange place I must say. Even with all this, given how everyone seems to love this place so much(?!) I hesitated to lower the rating. That is, until I finally tried the mind-blowing Vespera's (reviewed separately). That did it...now I can't in good faith leave this as a four star (although, just reducing it by one). As for the repeated hype over this place, well...I don't really get it.

Updated from previous review on Sunday September 21, 2014

Pros: Good falafels & veggies, Amazing natural pepper hot sauce

Cons: Inconvenient location, Small bare interior, Service attitude

IF YOU WANT DELICIOUS FALAFEL GO HERE! - Edit

My husband and I love this place! Everything is so fresh and yummy. It's a small place but every time we've gone we've waited no longer than 10 minutes for a seat. The people that work there are very nice and we are always pleased with the service.

Pros: Great value for quality and freshness, Delicious falalel

Cons: Limited seating

LOVE this place! Delicious fafalel - Edit

To start with I didn't really like falafel, but this place is SO GOOD. We ate here 3 times. Each time you wait a little while because they are making it all from scratch to order, but SO DELICIOUS. The pitta is homemade, as is the falafel, hummous, dressing etc. portions are massive, super fresh and so delicious, hot and crispy and chewy! Tiny place, just a few counter seats, but always had a cool laid back vibe with great tunes playing. will miss this place!

Pros: Delicious, Value, nice vibe

My favourite falafel in Tokyo! - Edit

Used to live 5 minutes along the road from Kuumba du Falafel - it's probably a good thing that I don't any more or I would be poor! We love to get the falafel/pita plate - you get lots of falafel, salad, veg and hummus stuffed in a tasty pita with dressing on the top. Beware the chilli sauce though, it has quite a kick! The shop itself is quite small, counter seats only and doesn't have much atmosphere but the food more than makes up for it. Also good for take out. Highly recommended!

Pros: Amazing falafel, Good value, Did I mention amazing falafel?

Cons: Not many seats, Random location

Best falafel in the world - Edit

I travel a lot and always search for a falafel to eat... and this one was the best in my life! It was hugh and so big and fresh, that you just have to go there!!! :)

Pros: Very big falafel, very fresh, the falafel of your dream

Cons: Nothing

Excellent falafel, shame about the staff! - Edit

I ordered the full size falafel sandwich. The sandwich was amazing - loads of salad, tahini and crispy falafel balls waiting at the bottom. There are also bottles of hot chilli sauce on the counter if you like it spicy. I was shocked at first to pay 1200 yen for a sandwich, but it was very filling with good quality ingredients.

I would have given this place 5 stars if it weren't for the rude staff. One guy even snatched the menu out of my friend's hand! They seemed irritated for some reason.

Pros: Amazing falafel, All vegan, Good value

Cons: Rude staff, A bit hard to find

Yay for falafel! :p - Edit

I've been to this place twice. The first visit wasn't so nice, as the guy who who took our order seemed to be having a bad day.

When I went there after a few months, the staff were different and the service was good.

The falafel wasn't bad, either. :p

Pros: Vegan falafel!

very good - Edit

Ask for the big falafel plate. Some salad, tomatoes, and vegetables, with humus, and fried chickpeas. The lentil soup is delicious too. The cooker is kind. You eat sit on a stool at the counter. Very small restaurant.

Pros: plentifull, very tasty, not expansive

Cons: too much fat

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kuumba du Falafel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.