Kumo Izakaya & Sake Bar

152 Lygon St, Brunswick East, Victoria, 3057

Serves meat, vegan options available. Classically styled bar and restaurant serving share platters with a substantial number of veggie dishes. Snacks, share plates, and dessert. Last orders 30 minutes before close. Open Mon-Thu 6:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ChrisMelb

Easy, pleasing, Japanese. - Edit

After a fantastic vegan banquet on Valentine's Day a couple of years ago, we returned on Friday night for dinner before catching some bands in Fitzroy.

Since our last visit my wife has been diagnosed with Coeliac disease, and we were happy to see that a lot of the vegan options were also marked gluten-free (GF). However upon my wife mentioning she was Coeliac, the waiter was quick to inform us that some items are cooked in the same oil and those containing gluten, so cross-contamination was an issue. She checked with the kitchen and promptly returned to inform us what would be suitable for my wife. We both ate a number dishes, but unfortunately my wife couldn't try everything she had hoped for. She was happy to be able to eat the dessert - a vegan mouse with honeycomb and coconut icecream.

We appreciate the diligence and thoroughness of the staff in making sure everything was satisfactory, but having checked the menu online (which was somewhat out of date) prior to booking it would be a good idea to point out which items may contain traces of gluten.

We couldn't fault the service of the staff or the quality of the food on the night, and will be back, and now know what we need to ask about next time.

Pros: Excellent vegan options, clearly marked on menu, friendly and attentive service, located at the Brunswick East end of Lygon Street

Cons: Online menu not up-to-date, some gluten-free options not suitable for Coeliacs, leather upholstery on some seats in upstairs area

Return to Brunswick East Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kumo Izakaya & Sake Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.