Kran Boom Modern Thai

Contact 021887987

India Emporium, Thanon Chakkaphet at (at Thanon Pahurat), Bangkok, Thailand,

Located in the Indian Emporium Building on the 4th floor you will find this Thai vegan food booth. Offers an extensive menu which includes a varied selection of salads and dishes from different regions of Thailand. Owner speaks some English. Approx 10 minute walk up Chakra Phet Road from the Boat Pier. Mon-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm

Category: Vegan, Thai, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by beancurdled

Kran Boom? - Edit

In search of veggie food we looked for Kran Boom on the 4th floor of Indian Emporium. We have found a thai veggie food stall, no mentioning of Kran Boom so not sue if this was the same place.We could pay with food tickets bought from the ticket lady close by. The food was nice but quite small, cost 45 bahts. We had to write the requested food's name on a piece of paper and wait about 20-25 minutes to get it. There was also an Indian vegetarian place in the food court.

cooked to order in a food court - Edit

I was glad to escape from the heat and the scrum of Chinatown into the India Emporium which is a pretty interesting shopping experience I itself. I recommend taking the elevator straight up to the forth floor if you're hungry and meandering back down via the escalators, taking in some of the stalls as you wander and browse. The fabric floor is particularly spectacular - rarely have I seen such a concentration of lace, sequins, and gold thread. I loved it!

Anyway, on to the food...there's also an Indian Vegetarian restaurant in the 4th floor food court but I headed straight for Kran Boom, inspired by the listing here. I expected to see preprepared food I could point to and stood around looking confused for a few seconds when I saw only a few fried snacks and ingredients for juicing. The 6 or so staff working kinda did too until I said, "sawasdee kaaa" and someone handed me an English menu. The range was great and dishes priced between 40 and 60 baht which is cheap for cooked to order vegetarian food, even in a food court. Since it was my last day in Thailand, I couldn't help myself so ordered too dishes - the wonton and cucumber salad and tofu with pepper.

When my food arrived I wondered whether I would regret my big order...but it turned out fine! The portions are generous for the price but not huge. The wonton salad consisted of fried wonton skins (no filling, to my surprise!) with super fresh crunchy cucumber, tomato, spring onion, finely sliced raw onion, plenty of herbs (mainly coriander), and a lip-puckeringly tart citrus dressing. The tofu was silky but firm and it's sauce was warm and spicy with green peppercorns as well as cracked black pepper giving it heat.

Staff are nice, food is prepared quickly, food court is clean (if that bothers you). All in all, I'd recommend this place for a quick bite as a respite from shopping and exploring in the heat if you're in the area.

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kran Boom Modern Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2640 times since Apr 2013.