First Review by TheresaKuttner

Very nice and central restaurant - Edit

The interior of this restaurant is really nice. The portions are huge and the price fair. The food itself was delicious. Can recommend.

Pros: central, huge portions, nice interior

Excellent restaurant near Andrassy ut - Edit

Kozmosz is a very cozy restaurant located near the Terror Museum, in a very calm square. We came there since they offer gluten-free dishes and we were very pleased with our dinner. The food was very tasty and the proportions were generous. And the service was fairly quick.
We definitely recommend this restaurant if you are in the neighborhood.

Really cozy restaurant - Edit

The restaurant was very cozy and with warm ambience. I had polenta pizza from the daily menu and my bf a Bean burger from the list. My polenta pizza was something I haven't even heard of before but was quite nice with a lot of cheese on it. The bean burger was ok but, have to say, a bit dry. Anyway, we liked this place a lot and will visit later too!

Pros: Good menu, Reasonable prices, Cozy cafeteria

cozy ambience, good cake! - Edit

The cafe is very cozy, right next to the terror house. I only had time for a cake and a drink and the cake was really good! The prices were very affordable too!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious

Cons: Could do with more cake choice

Amazing!! - Edit

Delicious, hearty food. I had the Hungarian stew which was great and something I'd never had before. My boyfriend had the gyros which were also very good. Good selection of drinks and a few desserts. Definitely check it out!

Pros: delicious, great variety, friendly service

Cosy restaurant - Edit

Nice little place, have quite a variety of dishes. I liked being able to try some traditional Hungarian food and drinks. Food was tasty. They have a few desserts too. Good English. Wifi good too.

Could have been better! - Edit

We were pretty excited to taste some traditional Hungarian food after reading the reviews, but were pretty disappointed!
The menu was very basic, with approx 2 'traditional' meals as options, the other dishes were basic pastas and Mexican!!??
Food tasted ok, however very basically cooked, similar taste and sauces on all dishes, with a canteen style sloppy presentation.
While I am all for taste over appearance, it was a shame that a restaurant with so much potential could not put a little more effort into making the sloppy dishes appalling!
We arrived late and staff were very keen to leave despite us leaving before the closing time....
Generally not a very good experience, we found many vegan and vegetarian options in the rest of the city on general menus with Veg and gluten free options clearly marked!

Pros: taste

Cons: not many options, no atmosphere, presentation

Decent - Edit

I had a traditional Hungarian 'meaty' meal. To be honest, it was a bit boring. It was a big plate with a lot of food, but it was basically pasta with some goulash, Not much variance in taste.

Pros: quite some choice

Cons: Bit boring

Vungarian - Edit

Very good option located a little bit in the north of downtown.

I specially liked that they make vegan versions of traditional hungarian dishes. I tasted the vegan goulash which was fantastic and the seitan stew which was very good. I also tried the seasonal dessert and was nothing special, here the place loses one star!

Pros: Vegan, Nice staff

Kozmosz? Kozmosz. - Edit

We ate there 4 times in 2 days the last time we visited Budapest. It speaks for itself I guess. Purely vegan, great menu, delicious burgers, daily soups, cakes, friendly staff. All in all a very pleasant experience. It's the kind of restaurant that is the first thing on your mind when you wake up in Budapest.

Pros: Fantastic food, Friendly English speaking staff

Cons: Underground

amazing! - Edit

I lived close to this restaurant for a few months and are here all the time. They have a pretty large menu with some vegan versions of some Hungarian dishes as well as burgers and other yummy meals. The staff is very friendly and everyone speaks English. I definitely recommend this place!

Good food at a decent price - Edit

This restaurant is hard to find by night, we passed by at first without noticing but it's worth double checking twice.
The interior feels cool and cosy and they serve good portions of real food, nothing fancy. An ideal place to try Hungarian dishes.

Pros: Big portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Hard to see by night

Just great! - Edit

Very nice place in the centre of Budapest. We tried just burgers and they were awesome. Rest of the menu looked nice as well, but we were so full after burgers, we only managed to eat a piece of cake, that was great.

Kosmosz is hiidden in the basement, so it's bit dark, but also cozy at the same time. The staff is very helpful and speaks perfect english.

Obligatory stop in Budapest if you are into veggie fast food.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Friendly staff

Try the layered pancake! - Edit

Kosmosz is a lovely, atmospheric little place. I absolutely loved it! Service was great, there was an English menu, and the food was fantastic. My partner had a bean burger which was big and filling, and came with mini potato wedges, which were a nice change from chips. I had the seitan stew, and I loved it! It was served with some kind of small pasta noodles, and the flavours combined beautifully.

The real highlight was the dessert. We shared the layered pancake, which is like a multi-layered slice of cake with delicious dark chocolate oozing down the sides. It was incredible!

Pros: The layered pancake is amazing!, Delicious food, Great atmosphere

Delicious ... - Edit

We were here the day before some time after 4 p.m. but the restaurant was closed.
Today we came back at the right time. When we entered the place was almost empty and quiet (no music in the background). But after a few minutes the place got busy and the music started playing (not my first choice for dining, but ok).
We started with soup, but they didn't have the seasonal one, so we ordered two goulas soups. It was good, but I didn't like the smoked tofu bites, just my preference.
Then we ordered Veggie burger and Bean burger. Both came with a side salad and french fries with ketchup. The dish was amazing and just perfect!!!

Pros: good food, service

Cons: music

10/10 - Edit

We came here on our first night in Budapest and we fell in love with the restaurant. We both ordered different burgers after reading that they were the best choice and we were so impressed! Huge portions, such good value and very friendly service throughout. Would definitely recommend!

Best I have been to - Edit

Definitely my favourite vegan restaurant in Budapest! Nice menu and marked the gluten free options. Friendly English-speaking staff, lovely interior. It was a nice relaxed atmosphere and of course the food was delicious! Definitely recommend!

Pros: Great tasty menu, Friendly staff, Relaxed atmosphere

great place in the centre of Pest - Edit

Very lovely vegan restaurant! :) the waitress was really friendly, and the food was amazing too. I had a burger and did not want the bread because I wanted it to be as glutenfree as possible, so they added a little more salad than usual. It was very tasty and I woumd definitely return to Kozmosz :)

Amazing vegan food! - Edit

Such an amazing menu, it was so hard to pick what to have! I had the Bean Burger and it was the BEST burger I've ever had! They also had a great range of drinks :) and although they didn't have many desserts, the pancakes they have were so yummy! The restaurant itself was lovely, and the staff were friendly and helpful too. Would definitely recommend :)

Superb Burgers and Hungarian Dishes - Edit

This 100% vegan place is very close to the Terror Haza and not too far from the city park. The staff are very friendly and everyone spoke English. It looks a little nondescript from outside – the entrance leads down some stairs so you cannot see inside from the street, but once inside the atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming so don’t be put off. We visited twice on a recent trip to Budapest – on both visits the food was inexpensive and high quality, with the burgers a particular highlight. They also have veganised versions of a number of Hungarian dishes which are well worth trying.

If we lived in Budapest we would definitely be regulars here!

I loved it! - Edit

I wanted to have goulash, and that's what i got. It was sooo good! Extremely affordable too. Staff was very friendly.

Pros: smaller portions available nice neighbourhood alc

Delicious! Omni loved it too - Edit

Great wide selection of delicious food including veganised Hungarian classics. Went to Budapest with my omni mum and she loved this restaurant too. Good wine and dessert too!

Pros: vegan wine , dessert selection , veganised Hungarian dishes

Cons: very small restaurant so might get busy but was qu

Welcoming and delicious! - Edit

I was so excited to try this place for some veganized traditional Hungarian food, and it didn't disappoint! I had the goulash soup and main dish with seitan and spaetzel - I can't remember what it was called! - and it was great. Other family members had the various burgers, which were also great. Definitely visit this place if you're in the area!

Pros: Great menu, Friendly staff

Cons: Can get really warm down there!

Delicious and cozy! - Edit

The place itself is really nice and relaxed and the staff is very friendly!
However, the food is even better :) We really loved it there, so we had to go two times in a row :D

Pros: delicious, friendly, inexpensive

Quick and yummy midday stop. - Edit

This restaurant was conveniently located close to a museum I was visiting. It was a tad difficult to find, but worth the search. The restaurant has a stylish feel, located in the basement of a building with a cave-like appearance.

I had a veggie burger that was slathered with peanutbutter. It was incredible. I will say that the drinks were a tad pricey, especially for Budapest.

Studytrip and impressed non-vegans - Edit

The first evening my friend and I went to try and find it, we were a bit scared because of the location in the city and the basement. But as soon as we entered we felt comfortable. We loved it so much that we ended up eating our dinners there half of our trip! Delicious foods, with a good variety and a small amount of desserts, though delicious. I have brought four non-vegans with me to the restaurant and the all loved it and said that it was the best food they had gotten on the trip. One of my friends also complimented the wine.
The only thing to be critized is that it takes a bit long for the food to be prepared and served, and some of the waiters had a hard time explaining the menu to tourists speaking english.

Pros: All vegan, Delicious food

Cons: Time

so soooooo good - Edit

fantastic little place. great decor. service was fast, discreet and friendly. dishes are well priced for portion sizes. the food was out of this world - everybody we sat near said so. we had the burger, gyros and goulash - all far too big for us and so, so YUMMIE. Please go and support these guys.

Pros: food quality and variety, friendly, efficient service, atmosphere

Cons: a little hidden - use the app to find it

Awesome place ! - Edit

last minute we found this restaurant through the amazing happy cow app, it really saved the night. after walking for hours trying to find some vegetarian or vegan food, with no luck, this place saved our night!

the atmosphere is really cute, the staff is super friendly and helpful.

so much to choose from on the menu, really amazed me! wanted to order it all! got a super good bolognese half size, but was good size anyway!

over all a super good experience and got a lot for such a cheap prize :)

Pros: good location, amazing food, very friendly staff

Cheap as Chips - Edit

The prices were really cheap and there was a lot to choose from on the menu but both me and partner were disappointed with our meals. I felt like my burger was more of a fast food burger than a nice healthy one and my partner said his was tasteless. There was no atmosphere and we had to whisper as it was so quiet. The staff were lovely though and I think the location has great potential.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Vegan Wine , Cheap

Cons: No Atmosphere, Average Meal

Best vegan restaurant in Budapest - Edit

I have been in Budapest for a week.
I did a HappyCow-search before traveling there, so I already knew the vegan restaurants before going there.

The Kozmosz Vegan Etterem was the first Restaurant I tried and it was also better than the Napfenyes-Restaurant.

The portion sizes are great enough to get fully rich.
Realting to that, the prices are also very fair.

The people working there were very kind to me and also made great effort to understand me and fulfill my wishes the right way as I needed glutenfree meals for example.
They also made Take-away-Lunches for me, so I could do all the sightseeing I wanted with my vegan food already prepared by them in my backpack. :) Especially thanks for that! :)

The atmosphere is calm and inviting as I like it.

The restaurant is also very clean and well-kept.

I am very thankful having found this restaurant.

The Restaurant is also easy to find, next to Oktogon Place.

I would recommend visitin this restaurant to everyone!

Thanks for all! :)

Love, Stefanie

Pros: Portion sizes big enough to get full, Fair Prices, Very inviting atmosphere & kind staff

Great! - Edit

We ate there two times during our visit of Budapest and food was really great. We got goulash, burgers and pancake cake, all very good and tasty (and with beer and water we paid +-16 Euros). Yes, restaurant is in the basement, but clean and nice. English speaking staff, so all good. Location is great, just few meters from Vorosmarty utca metro station.

Pros: Great food, English speaking, Fair prices

Cons: Doesn't have outdoor seating

Great place! - Edit

My partner and I ate her twice in two days!

Great food, very reasonable prices, and large portions. The restaurant has a nice, relaxed atmosphere, and the staff is pretty friendly. The Goulash was my favorite dish. Their burgers were also quite nice.

If i'm ever back in Budapest I will definitely come back here!

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Large portions

Lovely staff, yummy goulash! - Edit

My partner and I went here for dinner recently on a trip to Budapest.

We arrived for an early dinner and were greeted by a lovely young gentleman.

We ordered an entree of goulash soup - which was really yummy! We then ordered a main of hungarian stew and mexican tortilla. Unfortunately the mains were not as tasty as the goulash - the hungarian stew had some flavour but not really enough for our taste - but then we were not sure what the traditional taste of this dish should be? We also weren't fans of the seitan it was kind of chewy and not the best I've tried.. I think the dish would have been better with tofu, tempeh or beans instead. The mexican tortilla's weren't bad, however the flavour was a little off - it had oregano and italian herb seasoning which made it confusing as it was a mexican dish but didn't have any mexican flavours to it. It also could have been improved by added some beans as well as mexican spices and maybe coriander and a vegan sour cream or vegan cheese sauce.

For dessert we ordered the chocolate-pancake cake - I really enjoyed it - I especially love the chocolate sauce and wished there was more of it! My boyfriend liked it, but didn't love it - which was fine with me as I got to eat most of it!

The restaurant itself had a nice feel to it, kind of reminded me of being in a cool little cave and the service was great.

Overall not a bad meal, however definitely could be some improvement. I would go back if I was in the area to try some of the other dishes and definitely the goulash again :)

Pros: Staff, Goulash, Pancake Dessert, Location

Cons: Mains - A bit bland/lacking flavour

very nice!!! - Edit

We had a very nice lunch at this super comfy place, and we're planing to come back!
Goulash is delicious and there's quiet a few options on their menu.

Pros: very friendly staff, pet friendly, good prices

Cons: hard to find! located on a basement and the entran, pasta was a bit lame

friendly staff & nice simple dishes - Edit

Staff is very helpful and detailed with introducing the weekly dishes special that are not on the menu. I had "Austrian week" as they have adopted the dish from their Austrian neighbor.

The potion is very generous and taste of food is not flamboyant but simple and heart warming.

Excellent, all vegan :) - Edit

I recommended, we were very satisfied. Excellent bean goulash, seitan with dumplings, but you can choose of various dishes. Service is nice and agreeable, interior is cozy (without lights).

Pros: all vegan, delicious food, nice service

Yummy, excellent!! :) - Edit

Yummy food, nice ambiance, great and friendly service. :)
We had the Gyros which was delicious, bean goulash, salad was great, spaghetti Bolognese very good and the pancake layered cake was excellent!!
Definitely recommend it!

Great little spot with a variety of options - Edit

We really liked this spot, located right of the main Andrassy Ave. The zucchini soup and goulash were great. I was happy to be able to have a vegan goulash! Their seitan gyro was also yum!!

tasty burgers and friendly service - Edit

I came here for dinner one night. I liked the setup and style of the restaurant, and contrary to another review, I didn't feel I was in an unsafe area. The waitress was lovely and gave us an English menu. We both chose burgers which came with chips and salad. I thought it was really tasty and I was only disappointed that they'd run out of the chocolate and banana cake! I wished I was staying longer so I could return

Pros: decor, options

Great Lunch - Edit

Nice and cozy underground place with nice staff and great selection of meals. I tryed here creamy garlic soup, gyros plate and home made apple juice. Everything was just delicious!

Pros: Nice Stuff, Great Selection Of Foods, Nice Interior

affordable, good food in a not so chic place - Edit

It is located downstairs in a cellar which is quite dark and rustic. The waitress was really nice and spoke good English. We ordered the pear juice and apple juice, goulash soup, the spinach pasta, the chocolate and banana cake, the layered pancakes and the vegetable tortilla. Everything was really good and made with love. We consumed all that for 18€! That's 6€ per person and we were completely full afterwards cause the portions weren't small at all! Don't expect a fancy romantic place where you can have your 3 year anniversary with your loved one. However it is a good vegan restaurant compared to the others in Budapest. Budapest seems just not to be ideal for vegans...

Pros: good food, friendly waitress, really affordable!

Cons: interior is not so nice, not that fancy, small menu

Amazing Vegan food - Edit

I visited Budapest with my partner and friend who are both meat eaters. We chanced upon Kazmosz and decided to go in for food. The food was delicious - we all had soups, bean goulash and a creamy garlic soup. I had the Cheeseburger; my partner had the weekly special, Burritos with rice, salad and guacamole; our friend had the seitan stew with dumplings. We all really enjoyed our meals - costing about £6.50 each including a beer. It was actually the two non-vegans who were very keen to return the next day. The following evening we decided to skip the soups in order to leave space for deserts, two of us had the Burritos and my partner had the Gyros plate - all very good again. We then had a dessert each - carrot cake, cheesecake and the layered pancake - all delicious! We would all head straight to Kozmosz if visiting Budapest again - Lovely friendly restaurant, attentive staff and very reasonably priced delicious food!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, attentive staff, Fantastic value

best burger! - Edit

I went there to have lunch after having run a half marathon in Budapest and it was the perfect treat meal for me! The restaurant is in the cellar and the rooms are a bit dark. I like clear places, but it wasn't a problem at all. They have a small menu with options of Hungarian dishes and burgers. I had the Hawaiian curry burger and it was heavenly delicious! In a homemade bread, with vegan mayonnaise and Accompanied by salad and potatoes. My friend had a seitan pörkölt (Hungarian speciality in vegan version) with Hungarian pasta and it was also very tasty! It's very well located near the heroes square and Andrassy ut. The staff was really friendly. I will visit this restaurant again for sure when I'm in Budapest.

Hearty Hungarian vegan food in Budapest - Edit

At Kozmosz we tried the following meals:
- fruit soup: nothing special just thickened fruit juice (cherry) with vegan whipped cream on the top. I was not bad but not as a big as it was written ön FB recommendations.
- goulash soup: this was great, full of veggies, seitan. I would personally recommend this to everyone!
- seitan stew with dumplings: very good! Try it with pickles, and you can completely enjoy the vegan version of a poplular Hungarian meal.
- pancake filled with nuts, poppy seeds and marmalade. Super dessert, very substantial!
- home made lemonde
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 20, 2014

Pros: Delicious meals, Huge portions, Friendly staff

A good surprise - Edit

Housed in a modest basement with dimly lit brick archways, the atmosphere at kosmos is tranquil and comfortable. This restaurant is brand new, and it shows a little, but Kosmos serves up better than average/expected vegan fare with some traditional Hungarian influences. Service is attentive and efficient, and the ladies at Kosmos will make sure you are comfortable and well fed. The dishes we tried were excellent and original, and although there is still some room for improvement, given some more time and experience, this place could be formidable (they have existed for about 4 weeks as of this writing). Credit cards are accepted, wi-fi is available, and the staff speak a functional level of "Euro-English". Do it.

UNPROFESSIONAL - Edit

This restaurant is down at the basement in a dark smelly place at a neighbourhood that you woudn't call the safest in Budapest. I had a look at the waiter and my first thought was "sure he must me vegan (or at least vegetarian) he just doesn't look like one". Then we clearified that there are no daily offers at this restaurant, but you can choose from the few simple dished on the menu. So my friend and I made an ordered of a gyros meal and a hawaiian burger. "What would you like to drink?" said the waiter. I ordered some water and my friend asked for a watermelon soup. He brought us the raw soup, which was ok, very easy to make at home if you have a blender, and the water. We were the only two customers in the restaurant then two people arrived after us and they got their food before us. Anyway, we were in a good mood and kept chatting along with each other. After 60 minutes of waiting for our main course we asked how our chances were on getting them soon. "What food?" demanded the waiter. "What food?? I didn't hear you order anything. Why didn't you remind me?". No, he wasn't joking. He simple forgot about our order and during those 60 minutes never approached us to ask if we wanted anything to eat. He didn't apologize either or offered a free lemonade or something, like they would at a professional place, instead we were made at fault for not having reminded him of our order. We quickly paid for what we had and left this unprofessional, dark, gloomy, smelly place.
If you are the owner of a vegan restaurant in Budapest that had been recently opened what's more at the same month as 2 other vegan resaurants, is struggling to get customers and your strenght is not your menu or location, at least why don't you employ a professional waiter or at least a smart guy who looks healthy and perhaps is polite?

Pros: none

Cons: unprofessional service, dark and smelly restaurant, easy to make at home dishes

Favorite in Budapest - Edit

This was probably my favorite place I ate at in Budapest. The vegan burger was very good, and the bite I tried of my friend's plate was also delicious. Will be coming back someday, for sure.

Pros: all vegan, excellent food

OK vegan food - Edit

The location is central the staff are friendly and speak good English. I ordered a pasta dish it was tasteless they used a lot of fake cheese really highly proccesed soy. The dish was well presented but really tasteless the use of fake cheese is not my style.it is a nice restaurant maybe some of the other dishes may be better.

Quality food and superb location - Edit

It is really nice to see that vegan lifestyle is expanding in Budapest. Around the financial crisis a lot of restaurants, shops disappeared, however new ones have been popping up recently.

The restaurant is like a 5-10 minutes walk from Oktogon - city centre -. It is located in a nicely decorated cellar. For some people it might be a bit dark, but I like such places. I arrived at around 18, but I was not the only guest. A group of foreigners entered right after me. English menu is available, and the staff speaks English as well.

There are a few permanent dishes, however there is always a daily offer focusing on seasonal ingredients. There are gluten and soy-free options too. I ordered vegan lasagne, apple-cinnamon muffin and a drink. Everything was very delicious, had to wait like 10-15 minutes to receive the food.

Considering the fact that the place is not a fast food place - snooty vegans welcome - the prices are really good value. I paid like ~6 Euros which is inexpensive compared to European standards.

At the moment there isn't a wide selection of dishes, however please keep in mind that the place just opened. Allow them some time to survive and make the restaurant familiar within the community.

Pros: excellent location, value price, friendly staff

Cons: limited selection of dishes

Good food - Edit

Ate here for dinner recently with family. We had lasagna, spinach pasta, and a gyros plate. The lasagna was alright, the pasta was great, and the gyros was just okay. We shared a layered pancake for dessert, which was amazing. We were here on a saturday night and we were the only customers, which I thought was a bit odd.

It seems they change the menu often, though they probably usually have soups, pastas and other main dishes. Didn't have any salads when I went. A good place if you want inexpensive vegan comfort food.

Best vegan meal ever? Fabulous food! - Edit

We popped in here for lunch as we were nearby. My partner usually prefers vegetarian rather than vegan places but not in this case. We had a starter of borscht with fresh Hungarian chilli on the side to add as much as we liked. Really lovely warm soup with beans and tofu. For mains I had the seitan stew with noodles (homemade, like German spatzle). Lovely tomato flavoured stew, we'll spiced. My partner had the seitan gyro which came with pita, couscous and homemade tzatziki. Best seitan I have had anywhere. Both dishes were so flavourful. Service was very good as we'll. All in all a fabulous meal that I can't fault in any way. Really can't recommend this place enough.

Pros: Fabulous food, Good seitan, Reasonable prices

Cons: Nothing!

Review by WeLoveBudapest - Edit

I haven't been there myself yet, but "WeLoveBudapest" just posted this review (sorry, in Hungarian only), so I thought I share this here: http://welovebudapest.com/kavezok.ettermek/vegan.sajtburger.es.vegan.lasagne.a.hunyadi.teren.kozmosz.etterem

The reviewers really liked it - they say, they had the best vegan cheeseburger there, and the lasagne they tasted was also great. Plus, they've posted a couple of fotos of the place and the food. It seems, you can also get traditional dishes there - like beangulyas, seitan-pörkölt and palacsinta (pancakes that are thinner than American ones, but thicker than french crepes) - all vegan.
I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in Budapest and will write my own review then. As I have to rate in order to post this "review", I'll give 5 cows based on the overall positive article.

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kozmosz Vegan Etterem closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 14006 times since Apr 2014.