Kotai Garden

Kungu iela 2, Riga, Latvia, LV-1050

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has many vegan choices in the first Thai restaurant in Riga which opened in 2012. The chefs have trained in Thailand and serve authentic Thai food. Previously named Kotai Noodle Boutique. NOTE: Jan 2018 reported limited vegan options - please send updates. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri 9:00am-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Ricardo

no longer a good vegan / vegetarian option - Edit

Poor selection, really only one or two choices. I think it’s changed owners. It’s definitely changed menus

Great Cheap food - Edit

Firstly this place is called "Garden". We wandered for a while a little confused but eventually worked out the name had changed.

Outside there is someone with a menu to try and entice you in. We decided to have a look at the menu to work out what we could get. The lady at the front asked us what we liked, so I said we were vegan. At this point most places will start offering you the vegetarian options - however this girl new what vegan was - even stating we could have the salad with no cheese. But trust me there is more than just salad to be had here.

WE came twice in our stay in Riga. For Starters we got onion rings and spring rolls, for mains we got pad thai and a brocolli and garlic noodle dish (I have forgotten the name!). Both times we visited the food was fantastic,

This place would be great is travelling with a non vegan.

Really recommend this place - 2 drink, 2 starters and 2 mains was under 30 euros so very good value for money.

Pros: Staff are knowledgable, Food is fantastic

Kotai Garden Restorāns - Edit

The place has a new name now.

Staff is extremely friendly, food served fast, prices are low. Food looks good and so does the restaurant.

Despite the great friendliness, the young girls working there couldn't really cope with their jobs.

The Kwass was served at room temperature (warm), the drinking glass was so sticky, it stuck on the tablecloth.
I received extremely soft rice although I had ordered noodles.
The tofu was missing on the bill - I didn't complain.

Delicious Thai Food in Riga - Edit

This restaurant has friendly staff and delicious food. Unfortunately you have to ask if the dish has eggs or fish sauce, but if you tell them you want the dish to be vegan, without eggs and fish sauce, they will make it that way for you. In my opinion the extra explanation before ordering is worth the delicious meal at the end. I love their soups and curries with veggies, I don't recommend the tofu there as in my opinion they don't cook it well enough, but if you like almost raw tofu, go for it! It's an excellent option if you're in Riga and are craving a Thai soup or curry!

Pros: Tasty, Excellent location, Nice Staff

Cons: Have to ask to veganize a dish

Do not trust the Vegan Label - Edit

This restaurant clearly does not have understanding what veganism is. Many dishes with the "vegan" mark on their menu contain eggs, fish sauce, etc.
At the end the will prepare something for you; but this is not different from any other restaurant where you would go and explain what you can and can't eat.

Pros: inexpensive, location

Cons: vegan options are not vegan, no understanding of veganism, have to confirm all ingredients

Return to Riga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kotai Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.