Komaki Syokudo - Kamakura Fushikian

Contact 03-55775358

8-2 Kanda Neribeicho Chiyoda-ku (at Chabara Complex), Tokyo, Japan, 101-0022

Vegan restaurant in shopping mall 2k540 Aki-Oka Artisan/Chabara Complex, underneath the train tracks, next to the UDX building. Offers shojin ryori (temple cuisine). Rice and miso soup re-fills with purchase of meal. Since 2013. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian

First Review by syrupofipecac

Temple cuisine - Edit

The food here was tasty but for me wasn't that special. Maybe I was expecting something different.
You have to purchase a drink with your meal, which is not right, in my opinion.
The portions seems small but they were enough for dinner (the large plate) and miso and rice are free to refill.
Not cheep, so I don't think will be back.

Pros: Good food, Very particular

Cons: Nothing special, You have to order a drink, Not cheep

Very good food - Edit

The food was very good. The only negatives where the fact that I was forced to buy a drink and also it was hard to find the place. But overall it was really tasty and very Japanese !!! I recommend this.

Pros: Food, Presentation, Price of food

Cons: Forced to buy drink, Location (hard to find)

Not worth the money - Edit

We paid 3000 yen for the small evening set for 2 with two drinks. The owner says you're obliged to buy one drink even though this is not written on the menu nor a common practice in Japan. The food didn't look fresh and tasted bland. I liked the miso soup which hardly ever happens and I liked the multi-grain coffee latte but the food wasn't that good and I didn't like all the hidden costs (drinks + extra for other kind of rice) so I won't be going back unless I'm desperate for food and everything else is closed.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-09

Pros: all vegan

Cons: too expensive for what you get, bland taste, hidden costs

Good food but limited choices - Edit

The food is generally good but the choices are limited. We were there for dinner and were told that it was compulsory for each of us to order a drink with extra charge (at least 480 Yen each) on top of our meal order. I dont quite like this as our meal already included Miso soup and we really didn't want the extra drink but we're forced to pay for it.

Amazing!! - Edit

I came here because I was interested in trying shojin ryori and because I was in the area anyway and I was blown away by how delicious it was! I tried a bit of everything which at 1500 yen was really good value. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone who comes to Tokyo! It is not something you could find anywhere else I think, unlike sushi, and it's really nice to be able to try some traditional food and not have to be scared it's going to have any animal products in it. Do yourself a favour and do not miss this place!

Pros: amazing food, great experience

Convenient vegetarian restaurant in Akihabara - Edit

On my frequent trips to Akihabara, this is my vegetarian restaurant of choice to go to. Having said that, I wish there were better options, because I find the menu to be somewhat lackluster for my tastes. You usually have the choice between several cold menu items, and you get some hot vegetarian miso soup with it. It's okay, but I would definitely like it if they had some more hot items on the menu, but that may not be the style they are going for.

Bland, and way to little food - Edit

Honestly don't understand how this place could get so good reviews. Our small portions were about half the size of that in the pictures. Not even enough food to serve a 5-year old. Also, did not taste very much at all. Would not come here again.

2 Responses

scareglow 21 Aug 2016 - question: do you know Japanese temple cuisine?

llindr 21 Aug 2016 - scareglow: yes, I've had better in the past, but that does not change the fact that the portions received were far less than pictured.

Been twice and excellent both times :) - Edit

This is real shojin ryori... its traditional japanese style plates with small portions, but quite a lot of different foods that you've probably never tried before, and also they have many untried drinks as well, try the amazake!!

Yes, you can have dinner and have fun also! - Edit

This small restaurant is located in a corner of a larger shop selling organic (also, but not only) veg* food: just enter the shop and go straight past the small coffee shop on the right. Although the menu does not offer a broad choice, the food was good and cheap, and rations were more than reasonable. However, the owner lady is the very soul of the place, keeping everything together, running from one side to the other and doing her best despite the language barrier. We went there with 3 non-veg friends and they were very satisfied by both the food and the "cultural experience". Definitely a place worth trying, a restaurant unlike any other I have visited in Japan - or elsewhere, for that matter!

Pros: Great service, superfriendly owner, Good shojin ryōri

Cons: Early closure (around 9 pm), Limited options

Delicious vegan food and dessert! Friendly service. - Edit

We came here for dinner on our last night in Tokyo. Thanks to online reviews, we found this place with no problems. It's a small establishment inside Chabara (very close to the Gundam cafe). The owner was very friendly and kindly explained to us that they don't use any meat, fish, dairy, eggs, onions, or garlics. We ordered the special set with everything. The price was very reasonable (a little more than 1500 Yen). The food came quickly and everything was delicious! Even though we were pretty full after the meal, we decided to try the red bean dessert with white sesame ice cream. There was some type of tofu custard at the bottom with a scoop of ice cream and red bean paste on top. There was a sprinkle of granola on top, which gave it a nice texture. It was delicious! Highly recommend this place!

Delicious and tasty vegan cafe in Akihabara - Edit

Loved this place, and as many have mentioned it was a little difficult to find but worth the effort. Not knowing any Japanese it was a bit confusing when ordering but the lovely staff helped us out. The food was delicious well priced and you did not walk away hungry that is for sure. The cafe was peaceful and a superb place to relax and enjoy the Japanese cuisine. Great beer!

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely venue, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: A little hard to locate

Lots of variety for a small price. - Edit

Tasty vegan food, good variety of different tastes with the set meal. Cheap price for Shojin Ryori. Quiet location. Enjoyable.

Pros: All vegan, Variety of tastes , Cheap

Cons: Plain setting, Staff aren't so knowledgable?

Delicious and inexpensive Japanese food - Edit

You can select 3 of the dishes on offer or go with a plate - we selected 3 each and shared these and a dessert with sesame ice cream... Yum. Everything was delicious. Would definitely come again.

Great set meal, large or small - Edit

Following another reviewer's directions we easily found this great place near the train station. It's located in a large store with many whole food concessions.
You can choose a large or small set and there are desserts too. The large set included a few unusual dishes I'd not tasted before and offered a filling meal. The price of 1500 yen is pretty standard for a set meal, very good value in Tokyo. I liked exploring the food concessions too although these were mostly non veg this being Japan!

Great location and good traditional food! - Edit

Right next to Akihabara station opposide UDX building inside a store called Chabara. The cafe is right at the back of the store and is all vegan. I got the lunch meal where you can choose 3 dishes for 1000Yen and get a side of rice and beans and miso soup. The food is simple but delicious.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Komaki Syokudo - Kamakura Fushikian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.