CLOSED: Kokako

Contact 0064-09-3792868

492 Parnell Road, Auckland, New Zealand, 1052

Small cafe serves light ovo-lacto vegetarian food including gluten free options, and roasts organic coffee. Vegan, please confirm if there are options and let HappyCow know. Seats 10 people. Reported to HappyCow July 2011, under new ownership and no longer vegetarian.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Aloo

Pleasant surprise - at least it was.... - Edit

This was my second visit to Kokako and on the first, I would agree with an earlier reviewer that there were very few vegan options. This has now changed. I had a really nice curry scrambled tofu and my wife had a lovely vegan tart. There were at least 8-10 things I could have had to eat, which is pretty good for Auckland. Portions are small, however, but everything well made. Would ideally give this three and a half cows, actually... but I'll tend in favour of generosity since 3 1/2 not an option.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 30, 2007

I am saddened to note that Kokako has stopped explicitly labelling their vegan options. A very poor decision, in my view. Now, whether you actually get what is vegan depends upon the staff's knowledge of the products on display. I visit far less often than before.

Pros: NIce setting, good coffee

Cons: small portions, not huge number of option, fewer vegan options

Delicious lasagne! - Edit

I had lunch there yesterday and it was delicious. A vegetarian lasagne with a toasted almond topping (which I'm going to attempt to replicate at home). Also, a side of broccoli salad with a light dressing and some fresh chilli. $11 for lasagne and salad. I'm not from Auckland so I'm not sure if this is good value (seems a little expensive to me). Portion size was good for lunch. I'd like a little more for dinner.

Pros: Tasty , Healthy, Nice decor

Cons: A little out of the way

Clean and Green - Edit

A nice little cosy cafe in Parnell, the environment is somewhat retro and very cute. The staff are helpful and friendly, the cabinet offers a variety of foods some of which are vegan and vegetarian friendly. Organic coffees and hot chocolates. The chef is happy to accomodate vegan and vegetarians by customising certain requests. Had the quinoa salad and cous cous salad, very delicious and very clean.

awesome! - Edit

This cafe is really fantastic. Cosy, great food, and all sorts of yummy brunch dishes (scambled tofu!). Coffee is really good. I'd recommend this to anyone...vegan, vego or other. My non-vego friends love it too. Its pretty popular, so you might struggle to get a table straight away at 11am on a saturday :-) Worth the wait though.

Pros: Great food, Lots of options, Healthy

Cons: Small

will have to try next time - Edit

the information say 330pm and i was there 230pm and they shut down their kitchen already.
so will go next time and try their brunch. had their toasted vegan banana bread...never would i thought of toasting my banana bread...always my muffins though!

Great if you have the money - Edit

Kokako is a tiny little organic cafe just down the road from my house. It has beautiful decor and has a very friendly atmosphere when you enter. It's VERY small and can be crowded at lunchtime. We often get takeaway such as the vegan shepherd's pie. The portions are smaller than I'd like but the food is always fresh and tasty - if not excellent. If you can afford it, eat in, get a cup of excellent coffee and go early to catch the breakfast. Just remember, portions are relatively small.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Quick takeaway, Great decor & atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, Very small, Not many sweet things

Some good vegan options - Edit

Nice place to hang out with a range of reading material. Coffee was excellent. Lots of food options, however I was there on a Monday for a late lunch, and the kitchen had closed at 12.00! They close it early on a Monday, (2pm other days). I was still able to have one of thier pre-prepared meals, which was very tasty and innovative. Salad on the side serving was really small though, so felt a little ripped off. Didn't note any vegan sweets, which would have been a nice addition with the coffee. The staff were not very friendly or helpful, and I felt that I had disturbed them from thier party- with non-peaceful music whilst the cafe 1/3 full.

Pros: Good food, Great Coffee

Cons: Service poor, no credit cards

Kokako Hi Aloo and thanks for your feedback on Kokako. I am the new owner and take your feedback seriously! We will review our salad portioning and will shortly be revising the menu to offer more vegan and gluten free products. The unfriendly staff are no longer here and we have a great new team of smiling faces who take thier job seriously. Be my guest on your next visit and check us out again - ask for Mike and your next coffee is on me! Thanks again for your constructive comments. PS We have changed the music too!

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Kokako closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 240 times since Aug 2007.