First Review by Petesternz

really impressed! - Edit

I've really missed going out for breakfast since ending up in hospital due to seafood cross contamination of my food. Really interesting breakfast options, spunky decor (just like a cafe in Stockholm I was in last year) and friendly staff. What's more I had intelligent responses to questions about the pink sea salt and degree of gluten containment. Well done! I'll be back soon!

Kokako - Edit

Coffee is great however I have rarely had the patience to eat here due to how busy it is. Meals can take a LONG time and staff often seem quite flustered but if you are after a high energy cafe this is a great location to take vege or non vege friends for classic breakfast options. For a vegetarian cafe, the vegan options are surprisingly limited but the avocado on toast is great.

Great spot to grab coffee after gettin takeaway from Tart Bakery across the street.

Pros: great coffee, location

Cons: quite noisy, despite size,limited seating during peak, limited vegan options

Limited or no choice for gluten free - Edit

This is a great café if you are vegetarian or vegan, but not so good if you are gluten intolerant.
Both times I've been here, I walked out without buying anything. My choices if I were to have g.f were both vegetarian with eggs and cheese.
It would be good to have at least one time in the cabinet that is g.f.

Pros: Good Coffee, Central Location in Grey Lynn

Cons: Not many if any, gluten free option, Parking can be hard

Nice place with solid vegan options - Edit

I have always been a fan of Kokako - since its first incarnation in Parnell. It has now moved to a bigger space in Grey Lynn and I'm still a fan - mostly. Their coffee is delicious and they have vegan hot chocolate too. They also have carefully marked vegan wraps, but they have removed some of their yummier vegan options - like curried scrambled tofu - from the menu. We still managed to find some good vegan muffins and a lovely oatmeal/porridge, but they no longer go out of their way to mark options for vegans as they once did. Vegetarians will have a field day here, and there is enough for vegans to get by, especially if you like wraps. Smoothies and coffees are a plus here too.

Pros: Cute place

Cons: Labelling erratic

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kokako closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2051 times since Dec 2012.