KochSalon

Contact +43-01-5331526

Bauernmarkt 10, Wien, Vienna, Austria, 1010

Serves meat, vegan options available. Formerly called Wrenkh. Creative cuisine menu with several vegetarian choices. Reservation on weekends suggested. Rooms for parties and private functions. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: International, Beer/Wine, European, Austrian, Gourmet, Non-veg

First Review by jasminetea

Very few vegan options - Edit

The place is nice, the atmosphere friendly. A friend chose this restaurant as a compromise between me (vegan) and carnivores. What to say: in the main dishes I had only 1 vegan dish, one vegetarian had a vegan option. And what I ate was really nothing special. As a vegetarian there are more options. The beer was good :)

top class - Edit

It's hard to find a brilliant place for vegetarians and meat eater to both have a lovely meal. It works well, the food is top class, the staff are really lovely. Having a relationship with a meat eater this place will please you both. Will be returning on our next visit.
They will only get 4 stars as they do serve meat quite correct. Usually when we eat out I always have to go for 'the vegetarian option' this place is not like that!

Pros: Top Class taste, Staff are top class as well!, Good Price

should be 5 stars - Edit

Everything here is amazing! After we finished, we re-ordered the polenta and quinoa salads, they were so good, but switched plates.

Visiting Vienna for a dew days, this wS a great find and a must try. Found it on Happy Cow! The restaurant is technically called "Wrenkh"

Yum! - Edit

Delicious! The food was excellent and the service was good. I'm always a little wary going to vegetarian friendly restaurants because sometimes the options aren't that great or they find it hard to accommodate me. Not at all with this place. I didn't have to make changes or substitutions. They clearly mark the vegetarian options and even say which can be made vegan. And they gave me a menu in English. Win. The biggest thing to know in advance is this place is cash only.

Pros: Great location

Cons: cash only

Nice Option in Vienna - Edit

This is a really great option for vegetarians and vegans in Vienna. Yes, I know that it is not all veg, but the options that they do have are really nice. The atmosphere is also more upscale then in most vegetarian or organic restaurants in Vienna, which I appreciate.

All four in my group started with different soups, which were all tasty and well-spiced. We then had some spreads to share, which were moreish and delicious. When I was not too keen with the menu's vegan option, the waiter kindly had the chef veganize one of the vegetarian dishes for me by replacing the cheese with tofu. I did not have dessert, but those of us who did expressed their approval!

Pros: Nice Ambiance/ Decor, Tasty Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not Totally Veg

Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde - Edit

great food - a must visit in Vienna

Just ate in 'wrenkh' - this is what the street says BTW. Great setting, sit in restaurant, had a wonderful young waitress who spoke english and was very helpful.

We shared the olive tapenade and vegetables (good but not great); black salisify and parsnip puree (excellent), with a house salad (excellent) and potato's and vegetable dish (was excellent). Great menu but there are fish dishs on menu for the purists - also in Austria not alot of smoke around. Bad habit everywhere in Austria.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 12, 2011

ate there the next day and it was like a different restaurant. the staff were rude and unaccomodating. The restaurant was busy but the seating was so cramped that we at one stage had a waitress derriere over our dishes for 7 minutes. While my wife was happy with her lentil salad - I had a parsnip and pear soup that had a berry coulis or jam at the bottom and it was just confused rather than satisfying.

Hard to reconcile the two different experiences - it's a hit and miss place. In balance though, there are few choices in Wien so you are probably better off taking the risk.

Pros: menu choice, quality of food, service

Cons: bad service, confused dishes, cramped

Great quality and presentation - Edit

Centrally located restaurant with creative menu (not 100% veg). Nice staff and good service. I tried a tasty carrot and ginger soup and an excellent quinoa salad.

Pros: friendly staff, quality and presentation, centrally located

Cons: a bit expensive

stylish place with modern cuisine - Edit

Restaurant is situated in the touristic centre of Vienna, has some outdoor seating and features meals that border on nouveau cuisine. Presentation of the food was very easy on the eye, ingredients were fresh and the staff was friendly. It's not a cheap place but we thought the meals were well worth the price.

Pros: imaginative dishes, nice staff

Cons: not cheap

Very good! - Edit

This is a perfect place to go if you're looking for a bit fancier vegan/vegetarian food. Although there were also meat in the menu the waiter told me that every dish was possible to get vegan, too! And they gave me quite a generous discount when I had one dish without cheese.

Healthy food, but mostly meat - Edit

This place mostly served meat (check out their website - you don't need to read German, the pics of the lamb chops will assure you). That said, the waiter was fine to assure us that the invigorating dishes we chose were veggie. It still maintains a small (and I mean small) amount of veg options as it used to be fully veggie and had a reputation for it. May I say the meal was very yummy..... we went with two carnivores who also chose the veggie meals. It shouldn't have gone to the 'dark side'... you'll be hard pressed to find any 100% veggie place in Vienna anyway so you might as well come here if you're not fussed about meat in the kitchen as it was very healthy and compared to say London, quite reasonably prices in my opinion.

Pros: Yummy, Attentive service

Cons: Too much meat on menu

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has KochSalon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3417 times since Aug 2007.