First Review by Thumpersnaps

Helpful staff. Willing to exclude MSG on request - Edit

My partner and I just popped over here for lunch and were greeted by a helpful waitress.
The neon sign and Chinese decor is very much what you'd expect at a budget eatery, but they play music, which is more than most, and the staff are jovial.

Our smiling waitress was willing to guide us through the menu and could help tailor a meal to our preference.

Don't want extra sugar in the juice? No problem.
Don't want MSG? Choose something from the first or third columns on the menu (i.e. none of the noodle dishes in centre) and state that you don't want ajinomoto.

They had a variety of dim sum, buns and other fingery foods out on the buffet/in the steamer, made in house, but with MSG. It was quite a diverse range that we couldn't help but try at least one intriguing item each.

Of the options, we tried:

Steamed buns (a mushroom filled whopper and a mockmeat char siu jobby). Quite acceptable. The dough was lovely and soft and the fillings were flavoursome, but is that the MSG talking? The mushroomy whopper was the preferred option as the char siu bun was a little too sweet when combined with the sweetness of the dough.

Sesame ball: a greasy and rather (whoops, didn't know) sugary few mouthfuls. Not really the best thing to have as a starter, nor if you're on a diet, but I'm a sucker for sesame so I forgave it.

For mains, we both chose a set meal made without MSG.
My partner, who's not a full-on veggy, chose the "Creamy vegetarian chicken, rice & china tea" meal for RM5. In his words: "It was alright, a bit bland".

I had the "Cauliflower, rice and China tea" option, again RM5, which was quite tasty. The main had a nice mix of veg (including umami-licious carrots & mushrooms) in a savoury gravy. It was all a little overcooked (not a lot, but noticeable) but it wasn't at all greasy.

We didn't know when ordering, but both dishes came with a side of coleslaw (so vegans watch out) and some greasy mock duck which neither of us thought much of.

All in all, it was not bad for the price and they bent over to accommodate us, so they get a thumbs up for that.

Just realised too that we've been stiffed on the tea, they were all quite busy though, so if you go, don't forget to ask for it.

p.s. I'd have given them 3.5, despite the missing brew.

Pros: Helpful & friendly staff, inexpensive,, Accommodating, ample portions,, Many choices

Cons: MSG in snacks/some dishes, Mostly carbs and mockmeat

Return to Penang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ko Chai Lai Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1454 times since Dec 2011.