The Terrace on 95 - K'NYAY

• Veg-friendly
Contact 093665225

#43 Street 95 (at corner Street 348), Phnom Penh, Cambodia, BKK2

Serves meat, vegan options available. K'NYAY moved into The Terrace on 95 - look for the capital 'K' lightbox on the entrance and walk up the set of stairs; previously at 25K Suramarit Blvd St 268. Offers modern Khmer cuisine, fruit juices and shakes. Khmer food can be ordered with meat.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Khmer, Non-veg

First Review by strawberrisas

extremely tasty and cozy location - Edit

Said that it is nearly impossible to find (it is located in a corner of a narrow street, close to nothing else that you can recognise), once you get there and you sit on the terrace, surrounded by flowers and a fresh air, it looks like a paradise. We ordered 3 dishes (12$) and they were delicious. Staff speaks english and dishes are served very quickly, so you don't wait a lot. It is a great location also for a lazy afternoon (they have cakes as well). For location info: get to the genocide museum first, then ask (to a lot of ppl!)

Pros: very tasty and spicy food, terrace

Cons: very difficult to find

Stylish restaurant with the best food we've had in Cambodia so far - Edit

This place is actually called The Corn but seems to have the same or very similar menu as it's earlier incarnation, Knay. The ice creams, however, did not seem to be marked as vegan, although we did not verify this as we were too full after our starter and mains.

he food was exquisite, particularly the banana tofu curry, which was the best meal we've had since arriving in cambodia a week ago (and we tried most of the veggie places in Siam Reap, which were also excellent). The beetroot and orange salad was also delicious. Service was impeccable, very friendly and attentive. The restaurant is extremely stylish and elegant, in a simple French cononial style with dark wood furniture and a red and white chequerboard floor. Beautiful French wooden doors open out onto a terrace with more seating and the restaurant is situated down a peaceful little lane just off the Indeoendence Monument, making for a lovely walk home after our meal. The perfect atmosphere for a romantic evening over a glass of wine. We are hoping to go back to try the desserts!

Pros: Atmosphere, Style, Delicious food

Cons: A little tricky for the tuk tuk to locate

quiet place, tucked away, nice food - Edit

The first thing to advise is we were unsure on arrival whether we had got the right place - the signs outside call it "The Terrace" - I should have read the notes here a bit more carefully. Seems to be in the middle of nowhere, with nothing much else in the immediate vicinity.
Once inside, it's a small, homely place with seating inside and outside.
The menu has several options, although most tend to be "this curry" with Veg/Tofu (or meat :-(); there are a couple of veg-only curries - sweet potato coconut curry was one, I believe.
There are a handful of starters, all veggie, of which we chose one each to share amongst the three of us. Large portions for starters. I ordered fried spring rolls and was brought the unfried spring rolls (English is a bit ropey, but hey we're not in an English speaking country and the menu *is* in English), which turned out to be a weclome mistake - 4 huge spring rolls, fresh and delicious.
The main I had was good enough, without being outstanding, thought to be honest that this place exists serving good vegan food is enough for me.
A bit miffed I didn't read here first about all the vegan desserts (they're not marked as such) - I may have found room for one if so, but was pleasantly full.
NB They also do vegan lunchboxes to order.

Pros: lots of choice, cheap, relaxed

Cons: confusing to find, no air con

excellent veg food in Phnom Penh! - Edit

We had a great meal here- nice atmosphere, great food. I had the veggie amok, which was delicious, and came with a really nice dark brown rice. We also shared the rocket salad, also delicious, and I had an iced green tea with soy milk. For dessert I tried their homemade coconut ice cream- wonderful! I wanted to try the chocolate cake too but they'd just run out, so I had the vegan carrot cake, which was fine but nothing too special. Overall a great meal though, I wish we'd had time to go more than once! There was also an adorable restaurant kitty :-)

Great restaurant! Great vegan food - Edit

I went there as much as I could, which meant two nights in a row during my stay in PP.
I had the banana curry, the amok, a banana peanut shake and twice the vegan chocolate-banana cake (which was awesome since I, as a vegan tourist, had not seen a real dessert since I left home). Food was amazing, very nice vibe, very friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 22, 2014

Pros: Food, Vibe, Staff

relaxed comfortable terrace - Edit

We are staying at the hotel here, so we have been blessed to try a lot of the dishes. They make great vegan versions of typical Khmer breakfast porridge and soups. Banana curry and pumpkin curries are delicious. Good amok. Nice salad rolls and quesadillas for those missing a bit of dairy. Soy available for fantastic coffee and don't miss the vegan ice creams! Coconut ginger, passion fruit and chocolate have been my favourites. Sweet friendly staff and lovely atmosphere make this a good place to come good or drinks. Wifi

Pros: vegan ice cream!! soy for coffee!!, delicious curries with tofu, beautiful atmosphere

Cons: can take a long time for food

Comfortable restaurant with many vegan options - Edit

Although they serve meat, most of the menu is completely vegan and all items can be made vegan. I thoroughly enjoyed the amok, the pumpkin coconut curry and the fresh spring rolls. They also serve vegan carrot cake, sorbets, and pumpkin coconut parcels wrapped in banana leaf. All of those are delicious! I can't wait to visit there again!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Lovely setting, nice food. - Edit

The atmosphere here is quite nice. It is in an old colonial mansion that gives you the feeling that you are enjoying a dinner party with friends.
The food was good albeit a little bland for our tastes. If you like lots of flavour I suggest you ask them to kick up the spice factor.

Pros: nice atmosphere , good prices

Cons: bland

excellent VEGAN food - The place to be! - Edit

The vegan food is excellent and this served in a beautiful colonial style location. The fresh springrolls and amok are a delight (also for the eye). Don't forget to try the home made ice cream / sorbet (I 've tried the coco - ginger)!
We will come back for sure!

Pros: tasty food, lovely atmosphere, a lot of vegan choices

Cons: hard to locate

excellent dining experience incl. vegan ice cream! - Edit

We had dinner there recently and absolutely loved it! Charming and cozy location, excellent service, food and drinks. Water is free of charge.

We had a watermelon & chili and a lemon & mint smoothie, fried spring rolls, the sweet potato-pumpkin curry, and a Khmer dish whose name I unfortunately don't remember with both rice and bread. But the best thing came last: They have mouthwatering vegan ice cream! We tried coconut & ginger and chocolate & orange and both were delicious.

Don't miss out on that restaurant!

Pros: free water, local food, vegan ice cream!! :)

Worth finding - Edit

K'nyay is tucked away along an alley off the street, but has a big sign outside (look for the "K"). Worth your while to come in off the noisy street to the quiet, elegant restaurant. K'nyay seems to attract locals, NGO types, backpackers and other visitors. It is beautiful and comfortable. The menu offers both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. We ate there 3 times in our week stay, and enjoyed everything we ordered. Don't forget to look at the board near the entry desk for their specials.

Pros: excellent food, friendly, helpful staff, beautiful food

Cons: a bit hard to find

Beyond Excellent - well deserves a '5 - Edit

On Monday I had 2 Lemon & Mint Smoothies - straight from heaven.

On Tuesday I had the same - plus Pita Breads stuffed with Hummus & Salad - plus some interesting Fried & Seasoned Potato.

Vuthy chatted happily with me about K'NYAY.

With David I reminisced about favorite London cafes.

This is now one of my favorite places to be.

HappyCow needs to remove the illogic in the site - now.

K'NYAY deserves to rank higher up this page.

Above or equal to the 'lacto-zone'.

SUPER AWESOME AND DELICIOUS!! - Edit

As you can read in other reviews before mine, this place is awesome! The food was super delicious, the staff was friendly and the space relaxing and romantic. Most importantly, one should know that this place is run by vegans and all food served can and was designed to be served vegan but, some dishes can also be made with meat if someone wants it that way. It's also located off the main road and easy enough to find. Even though I went two nights during my visit, I'd definitely go back for more if I lived here. I had the Sweet Potato, Pumpkin & Coconut Curry and the Jackfruit Curry for my main dishes. Both made me want to lick the bowls especially the first of those two. I also had some deserts and smoothies. I wish I could have tried everything on their menu. It's so sad they feel pressured to serve meat here and not get five happy cows. I'm sure they'd still be as popular without that option.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious Khmer/Cambodian cuisine, Nice interior

Cons: They give in to meat eaters

wonderful place - Edit

went there in february 2009 and had a wonderful experience. very delicious food, very good service, relaxing ambience and environment. absolutely worth going back for.

KNYAY Good morning!

I hope you don't mind us sending you this message, only we saw that you had just reviewed K'NYAY on HappyCow when you were in Cambodia. Thank you for being one of our first reviewers!

Next time you're in Cambodia we'd love to welcome you back to K'NYAY again. We now have our own website (www.knyay.com) with lots of information about our restaurant and our food. You can also read reviews of K'NYAY on Trip Advisor. If you had a few minutes to put your review on there as well that would be very much appreciated - we're currently ranked number 1 restaurant in Phnom Penh - which we're really proud about. The link to post a review is:

Over the coming months we're also hoping to open a Khmer Noodle restaurant called 'ME!' (khmer for 'noodles'). If you'd like to become part of our K'NYAY community and be kept updated with our K'NYAY news please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected]

We wish you happy travelling and maybe one day you'll be back in Cambodia and we'll meet you again at K'NYAY.

Best wishes

Run, Sern & David at K'NYAY

Don't miss this restaurant! - Edit

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. Everything I tried here was simply delicious! Some favorites include: leek and sweet potato fritters, jackfruit curry, char kreung, and especially the coconut ginger ice cream! The latter is a must-try; it is so smooth and refined.

Everything is vegan except for a few khmer dishes which can be made with meat. I was assured they cook the meat in separate pans and possibly even in a separate kitchen.

I would absolutely give 5 cows if I could!

Pros: Delicious, Relaxed atmosphere

'Simply gorgeous' - Edit

What more could we wish for...stylish, tranquil and somewhere we could reflect on our day. We felt so, so welcome, nothing was too much trouble. It was so refreshing to discover a restaurant where all the staff share not just a passion for food but the environment as well. Chic surroundings and we didn't feel at all rushed. A unique restaurant, if you're visiting Phnom Penh, it's a not to be missed dining experience. We would have to recommend the Jackfruit Curry, simply perfect! Would eat here every day, if we weren't living in another country. Thank you for making our visit to Cambodia the most memorable yet.

Pros: exquisite dining

Cons: too far from our home

Great find! - Edit

Visited this restaurant after reading review in Lonely Planet guide. First trip to Cambodia and first experience of Kymer food at K'nyay - I wasn't disappointed. I was genuinely surprised to find Vegan food in Cambodia of this standard and definately recommend this place.

Pros: Great Vegan Food, Good atmosphere

Quality and true vegan spirit reflected in Cambodi - Edit

Our visit to this delightful establishment on our first day in Phnom Penh yielded a suprising outcome. In a land where everything that moves is consumed, it was a pleasant suprise to indulge in some of the vegan offerings condoned by the team at K'Nyay. On arrival the warm and friendly staff helped make the experience what it was, and soon after, we were relaxed and ready to order. The environment has clearly been intentionaly established to have a calming and soothing effect, which was a breath of fresh air to the traditional atmosphere of the local CBD. The business had a clear commitment to sustainability and their carbon footprint as shown by their revolutionary packaging initives and the absence of air conditioning.

Once the food arrived, it was bursting with flavour that reflected the Cambodian cusine, without the meat. The restaurant also offered meat dishes for our omnivore friends.

The combination of the exceptional environment and high quality cuisine has placed this establishment firmly on our must-see list for our return to Cambodia. Keep up the good work, and we would highly recommened this establishment to visitors and locals alike.

Pros: Serene, Quality Food, Location

Cons: May be warm to those not used to climate

K'nyay - Edit

Wow! K'nyay is a fantastic gem of a restaurant located not far from Phnom Penh's independence monument. You have to keep your eyes peeled to find it but it is definately worth hunting down this amazing place if you are in town!! The food caters for veggies, vegans and meat eaters and produces the most delicious khmer food with a twist. The peanut and swwet pepper curry is one of my all time favourites and the (vegan) ice creams are totally amazing - Ginger, coconut... The decor is sleek and provides for really comfortable dining. On top of all that it also does what it can to support disadvantaged youth and children in the city. The value is fantastic - about $4 a dish and the delicious fruit blend drinks are also reasonably priced. I can't wait to go back!!

Pros: atmosphere, best Khmer food with a twist, value

Cons: none

swanky good food - Edit

this place has great food, professional service and a modern sleek style like you find on waterfronts in the west. You pay a little extra for the food which is rich, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented.

Pros: diverse menu, goood service, quiet location

Cons: get the meat off the menu

Sublime dining experience! - Edit

What a find! A friend recommended we searched for K'NYAY. After finding the K insignia adorning a huge stylish lightbox (near Independence Monument) we were justly rewarded as we came across a leafy villa surrounded by stunning ginger plants (which we later discovered to be k'nyay). The food certainly had a lot to live up to if the surroundings were anything to go by - by far the most stylish place we've eaten at in Cambodia! The menu is extensive with a range of vegan and khmer dishes (the khmer dishes were also offered as non-vegan, which is why it's not 100% vegan). The personable chef, Run, happily showed us around his kitchen (2 kitchens in 1) with separate vegan/non-vagan fridges/cooking utensils/preparation areas/saucepans etc, and all his staff were the epitomy of hygiene - a novelty for many here in Cambodia! The front of house staff were also friendly and helpful. Since visiting we've ordered delivery many times. It's fantastic to be able to eat so well, so often! They've even got a great website with the menu and other info about their set-up! www.knyay.com

Once found, never forgotten!

Pros: friendly staff, delicious vegan cuisine, smoke-free

Cons: closed Mondays

Good find with a vegan menu and upmarket ambience - Edit

I submitted this restaurant to Happy Cow after I spotted an ad for it in a listings magazine -- we ended up visiting it two nights in a row!
Meals are simple but sublime; the tofu kreung (traditionally a fish-based curry) was subtle and sweet; the restaurant was stylish and secluded. Dishes were around $5 each. Menu is vegan but they have white meat options for all dishes which is why it's not 100% vegetarian.

Pros: Excellent food, Stylish ambience, Vegan menu

Cons: Offers meat options

deliciously great! - Edit

this is probably the best vegan restaurant in cambodia, with great decor and tucked in off the road.
delicious vegan food with pretty much everything vegan with meat options, vegan is clearly marked with V.
great shakes and desserts totally vegan.

Pros: no smokers, quite cheap, great atmosphere

Cons: limited menu, no air conditioning

Return to Phnom Penh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Terrace on 95 - K'NYAY closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3580 times since Aug 2007.