CLOSED: Kitchen Jay

• Vegan

Contact 0891197586

576/5 Third Rd, Pattaya, Thailand,

Thai name signage only. On Third Rd near Thappaya road just before the overpass. Thai vegan food buffet style. Menu changes daily. Rice plate with your choice of number of accompanying dishes. Soup and a la carte menu also available. Sells a small selection of snacks and packaged items for take home. DEC 2015 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Vegan, Thai, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Tim Denny

Good and cheap - Edit

Handy little restaurant, not far out of central Pattaya.

They have around 10 dishes to choose from daily, plus a few vegan meat subs like fish, sausage etc.

Choices are some noodles, sopus, curries, stir-fries.

Exceptionally cheap and decent tasting.

Pros: Very cheap, Good taste

Cons: Need transport to get there, Closes too early

Not as good as expected - Edit

I was very excited at first when decided to find this place in Pattaya. As it turned out, it wasn't as good as I expected. At first I had seen this place, but didn't recognize it as Kitchen Jay. After a long and hopeless attempt to find this place I decided to go get some meal at pretty tatty eatery with signboard "Vegetarian food". I ordered some rice, soup, several sausages and iced tea. The only thing I could eat was rice (just usual rice without salt or seasoning). The soup smelled strange, and there was something floating in it like chicken giblets; none of the sausages were edible, its smell and taste were just exactly like meat in a bad sense of the word. I definitely was not prepared for that.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff

Cons: unappetizing, smells disgusting

Cheap but awful - Edit

First, drop any hope to find it by the name (just look for the "vegetarian food" sign -- I wasn't sure I was there until I saw the photos here on the site).

Second, I can't say I enjoyed just any single part of it. I'd ate a noodle soup and some rice with various veggies and sausages they had to offer, and drunk some ice tea, and all of it was a complete disaster to all my senses. Sausages and some stuff in the soup seemed (and tasted) so close to a real meat so it made me wondering if it really was a vegan place at all, desptite all the "vegetarian" signs. It tasted awful, ice tea was some mix with orange and whatnot and I'd preferred soda water if I knew how disgusting it was. I haven't discovered anything like eggs or dairy, hence if it's indeed vegetarian it's most probably vegan.

Those Thai spices and whatever they put in the food smelled like stuff in fish markets, so disgusting. Maybe ones who love Thai/Asian stuff might like it, but definitely not me.

It's an open street cafe, like most of cheaper local places, so be prepared to heat and street noises. But you probably already know that if you ever were anywhere in Asia before. Any closed place with an aircon would be more costly.

Conclusion. It might be vegan, but I don't want to ever try it again anyway. I'm staying in Pattaya for the whole winter and strongly prefer supermarket frozen foods and Indian places ever since (there are a lot of lacto-ovo-semi-vegetarian, usually vegan-friendly Indian places and they usually aren't disgusting. Besides, Indian folks usually know English better so explaining that you want some vegan food is usually easier there than in almost any Thai place).

Try it if you're vegan/vege- and wanna know what real Thai food looks and tastes like. You might not like it, you might vomit a little, you might want to get home ASAP and eat a dozen of vegan pizzas and burgers in order to forget that place, but you would at least know for yourself, and experience is all that matters if you're exploring SE Asia :)
Updated from previous review on Monday September 22, 2014

Pros: Cheap, Probably vegan

Cons: Open (heat and street noise), Everything smeels and tastes disgusting, Awful place by overall experience

Good and cheap soup - Edit

I had twice their soup that costed only 35 baht. Great clear broth with vegetables and at least 3 different kinds of mock meats.

There is also a buffet if you come early enough.

This is not too far from Walking Street or Pattaya South Road.

I visited on December 2013.

Pros: cheap, good soup

Delicious and great value! - Edit

Kitchen Jay serves exceptionally tasty buffet-style Thai Buddhist cuisine. On my visit, there were about 7 different dishes from which to choose, providing a nice variety of flavors and textures. I had a plate with three of those plus a fauxtein patty, all of which were delicious.

The items are served from a warming table so they were still reasonably hot at 12:30. Arriving earlier might be wise if you like it fresh and piping hot.

Service was very friendly and helpful, and one young gentleman spoke enough English to answer questions (including confirming that all the snacks and sweets they sell are also vegan, so i picked up a few).

Best value in Pattaya. Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Pros: super-tasty, all vegan, very affordable

tasty vegan food at an affordable price - Edit

Kitchen Jay is a Thai run and operated vegan restaurant located in the same premises as the Susireepon blind massage and steam bath spa. They mostly serve Thai style foods -- without animals products of course. Dishes can range from fiery hot to mild, I have taken friends here who cannot handle chili and they loved it. the family that runs the place is very friendly to all customers, as far as I know only one person speaks English, but that is not an issue. Give it a try you will love it

Pros: affordable foods, fresh, lots of veggies

Cons: not centrally located, lack of English signs

Return to Pattaya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Kitchen Jay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3255 times since Jan 2012.