Lacto
American
Bakery
Gluten-free
Honey

Gluten free bakery with labelled vegan items such as cakes and other sweet treats. Also has vegan savory dishes such as soups and salads. Previously named Ella's Bellas. Previously located at 418 Main St. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-7:00pm.

First Review by KarenMiletic

mark m braunstein

Points +434

03 Dec 2023

wholesome, nourishing & colorful meals

An omnivore, a vegetarian, and a vegan walked into a bar. OK, this is not the beginning of a joke. In reality, the threesome walked into Kitchen & Coffee, so this is the beginning of the vegan customer’s review.

The omnivore ordered the Rice Bowl, which contains (dairy?) yogurt. The vegetarian ordered the Harvest Bowl, which is all-vegan, marked V on the indoor signboard, but not on the online menu. And the vegan ordered the Sweet Potato Burger, also marked V on the indoor signboard, but again omitted online. (K&C, are you listening?)

All three meals were colorfully presented and made of wholesome and nourishing ingredients, except for one item, the gluten-free bun for the burger, which typical of GF breads was a spongiform glop of congealed ultra-processed starches. Am baffled why people who are not sensitive to wheat gluten would eat GF breads, but K&C offers no choice, as GF is their thing. Next time, I hope to try the Tempeh Reuben, sans the GF toast.

All three of us enjoyed our meals. While the Burger was too spicy hot for my tender palate, its heat might have been dissipated had I eaten the burger with the spongiform bun. A hearty eater who shuns sugar-laden desserts, I ordered instead of dessert an entire second entrée, the Harvest Bowl. All of its sides, and there are many, are outstanding. And let’s not forget its signature Coffee in its name. The caffeine addict among us rated it highly, recommended it regardless of price, and commented its price was low, especially when compared to coffee prices in NYC where she lives.

While coffee and GF pastries seem its specialty, K&C also offers memorable and nourishing meals. I regularly travel this stretch of I-84, and loved eating at Krishna Kitchen across the river in Newburgh. But KK has closed down, so I look forward to returning to K&C.

To avoid the traffic congestion of Beacon’s Main St, I approached K&C via Verplanck and Fishkill Avenues. With no mention on its website or on FB, K&C has its own parking lot off Fishkill Av which includes a rear entrance thru the outdoor patio. That patio is sheltered by high walls on three sides, so out of the wind in winter, and in the shade in summer. Away from the crowd and din of its small indoor dining area, the patio is perfect place to eat nearly all year.

To inform not just about V for Vegan on its menu, but also about its parking and its patio, K&C seems to depend on crowd sourcing from its vegan customers, especially this one.

Pros: the food (the Kitchen in Kitchen & Coffee), its own rear parking lot

Cons: the spongiform GF bread glop

tfish

Points +2398

19 Oct 2023

“Best oatmeal bowl ever, 11/10”

Perfect breakfast or lunch spot. Title is my fiancée’s quote about her breakfast the first time we came here, back in the summer. Today actually ate lunch here and all was delicious. Amazing variety of desserts and treats as well

Updated from previous review on 2023-06-16

Pros: Lots of good breakfast / light lunch options, Delicious desserts, Cool ambiance

Cons: Fairly small portions, especially for the price, Could definitely be fully vegan…

Abdou75a

Points +48

19 Sep 2023

Good place

It’s a good place the food there is so delicious for vegan just one thing I had to say is you see a big slice on the fridge but they give u a small one when u choose .

Pros: Food, Place, Space

Cons: Waitress

VeganKing1093

Points +76

12 Aug 2023

Pretty dope spot

We tried the tempeh Reuben and the curry chickpea sandwich. They were pretty damn good! The gluten free bread slapped so hard that we didn’t even know it was gluten free until I came back to write this review. and the portion sizes were bigger than I expected.

Only possible con is that not everything is vegan, but they said they can make everything vegan, so be sure to ask that.

Updated from previous review on 2023-08-12

aRandomGuyDudeFellow

Points +110

20 Feb 2023

Very good but needs to ditch dairy

Great coffee and lots of good vegan pastry and food options. They already have oat milk great vegan cheese, so why aren’t they vegan already???

Pros: Dog friendly

HudsonValleyVegAdvice

Points +32

19 Nov 2022

Many vegan dessert options

They have an array of incredible vegan desserts

Lourdes7697

Points +36

13 Oct 2022

Horrible attitude.

Most staff not personable and act as they are inconvenienced

Pros: Have sufficient choices for vegan

Cons: Expensive , Not customer focused

ACCVeg

Points +1341

05 Jul 2022

Bougy in the best way

Serving food beautiful to look at and taste in a beautiful space with generous outdoor seating. As a connoisseur of Reubens I had to try theirs, and it was on point with thick slices of sourdough bread, chewy tempeh and the just right amount of sauerkraut. Umami burger and avocado toast were smashing, pho was divine with lots of innovative green bits. Almost everything on menu could be veganized, large selection of vegan baked goods. Heaven.

Pros: Fantastic food, Artful presentation, Outdoor patio situation

MichelleP36

Points +1580

04 Jul 2022

Delicious!

High praises for the black & Green bowl! Avo toast and granola bowl were tasty too!

Danielakanfer

Points +65

26 May 2022

Perfect

100% gluten free with breads, desserts, & all baked goods made on premises. All food can be (easily) made vegan. Mushroom burger delicious. Rueben sandwich delicious. Potato salad accompaniment is the best I’ve ever had (and I consider myself an aficionado) & it’s vegan! A vegan soup that was so good. The food is fresh & thoughtfully prepared. Modern, nutritious, simple, & sophisticated. Love this place. We came here on our first day in Beacon. How are we going to go anywhere else? PS garden seating out back is LOVELY & staff is friendly, helpful, & super cool.

Johnny_B

Points +317

08 May 2022

Great Spot!

You walk into tons of delicious baked goods options with a good amount being vegan. We ended up getting the Avocado Toast which was quite yummy! Definitely recommend this place. I cannot wait to go back and try some pastries. The almond horn was calling my name!

Updated from previous review on 2022-05-08

Pros: Lots of vegan baked goods, Lots of vegan options

GFGoldenLady

Points +1855

25 Apr 2022

Amazing VGF baking

I stopped in here on a beautiful rainy day. So happy I did! I purchased a ton of baked good and loaves of bread as its so hard to find VGF!

The sourdough French bread and rounds were absolutely amazing!

The cookies were all very good, scallion muffins were amazing and the cupcakes delicious.

Only cookie I didn't love was the almond finger, but the one dipped in chocolate was amazing. Think maybe a bit too much AL ond extract in the cookie alone.

I also had a VGF pho but didn't really feel it was worth it. Small portion and flavour wasn't extraordinary. Would totally go back for the baked goods though!

Pros: VGF baking , VGF artisan breads , Labeled well

Cons: Pho not very good

Afra.VeganLove

Points +467

11 Apr 2022

Great nourishing food

I stopped there after a long hike and was really impressed with so many vegan options. I always wish for vegetarian places to go fully vegan, but I have to give kudos to this places to give me so many options and a tasty coffee.

Pros: Many vegan options

futureghosts

11 Apr 2022

Good to know for the next time I visit the Dia: Beacon!

vsrubino

Points +16

09 Feb 2022

So happy I found this place!

The food & coffee was absolutely amazing, the staff was courteous, and the space is adorable. Two thumbs up!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious, good quality food, Cute space

Cons: Would be great if they had more seating

LilMsVegan

Points +1985

06 Feb 2022

We love it here!

The pastries alone deserve 6 stars- the almond horns. Enough said.
Meal options are simple yet flavorful
Love sitting in the window seat

Pros: Cute spot, Lots of vegan options, Desserts! Amazing

Cons: Parking- its Beacon

lucynoodles20

Points +74

06 Feb 2022

Great cafe

Great food, nice place to meet up with people or sit and work. I'd give 5 stars if they were fully vegan.

goldendeer

Points +130

29 May 2021

Lovely spot

A selection of drinks and food, many of which can be made vegan and are labeled on the menu as such. They have a selection of flavors to add to coffee drinks, plus a couple changing seasonal ones. Several vegan baked goods too which I plan to try next time. Friendly staff and it is a pleasant place to sit, chat, sketch or write for a while.

Updated from previous review on 2021-05-29

DaniellePokorny

Points +48

07 Apr 2021

Delicious

I’ve had two delicious meals there. My 10 year old daughter loved the avocado toast. It came piled with micro greens. Any items on the menu that aren’t listed as vegan can be made vegan also.

Pros: Many vegan options.

Cons: A bit expensive, but high quality.

makcurtis

Points +1050

07 Feb 2021

One of our favorite coffee shops

The lunch items are not great, but the baked goods I’ve tried have all been excellent.
I have tried the avocado toast, which was very tasty, but was $10 for two small baguette slices of toast.
I’ve tried the banh mi bowl and the Julius kale Caesar salad, and they both left a lot to be desired. They were very expensive and bulked up on the cheap filler ingredients with very little sauce/dressing, so they were pretty bland.
The baked goods, however, are are very well done, and it appears that the same effort is given to vegan items as given to non-veg items. The chocolate whoopie pie has been my favorite so far.
The drinks are spectacular, and there are plenty of plant milks to choose from.

Pros: Lots of vegan baked goods , Lots of plant milks , Desserts are excellent

Cons: Food is expensive , Food is not very good

SabrinaPerruzza

Points +35

02 Jan 2021

Definitely some great vegan options but i ordered a sandwich it was a vegan

Staff was very nice The food was mediocre bread was very very dense and Doughy

Pros: Salads look great

Cons: The breads are way to dense for a sandwich. , Need to change the bread

KarenMiletic

Points +49

04 Oct 2019

Yummy

One of the best gluten free bakery in the lower Hudson valley! This gluten intolerant vegan girl is in heaven eating from Ella Bella's.

Pros: Friendly staff, Cozy space, Yummy