Kitchen 17

773-661-1757

613 W Briar Pl, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60657

Small cafe opened since 2013. Seats 16. Menu is vegan with an eclectic mix of American, Mexican, and Mediterranean food. Offers sandwiches, salads, nachos, and pizza. Wed special is vegan deep dish. BYOB. Open Mon-Wed 3:00pm-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Organic, Western, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Veggie46

Best place for the Junk Food Vegan - Edit

This is really the best place in Chicago for vegan junk food. Get the BIg K burger (also known as the Fast Food Burger) and you'll be set. The only thing missing is cheese fries (they don't have fries) but maybe someday?

This place is very casual, you don't get a waiter. It's more like eating at Panera where you order your food and then they leave you alone.

Cons: small restaurant, not a lot of space

Disappointing deep dish pizza - Edit

Based on the reviews we thought this place would be fabulous but we were deeply disappointed. We ordered the traditional deep dish pizza. Diners who arrived after us were served before us, that might explain why our pizza was warm, not hot. Consisted of mainly bread with some sort of fake meat crumbles and marinara sauce. Cheese was undetectable. Crust was hard on the bottom and doughy in the center. Staff never asked if we enjoyed our meal and didn't seem to care when I commented on missing mozzarella, she said it was mixed in the bottom layer of sausage. Might explain why the crust was so hard you could barely cut it! Was not worth the train ride. We will not be back. Only gave it two stars because we could not give it less.

Your place for vegan junk - Edit

The food here will make you question if it's really vegan. Their BBQ burger is simply amazing - even my hardcore meat loving sister digged it. I would say the deep dish pizza was disappointing and super small. Not worth it for the price. I hear they are relocating or revamping the restaurant? I hope to be back for their desserts one day...

Pros: Old and lackluster dining area

Cons: Not so healthy...

Favorite - Edit

This is not only one of the best and most delicious vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Chicago it is one of the best restaurants in Chicago. Period. It's moving to a much larger location up the street from its current tiny spot. Vegan beer is rumored to be on tap! If you're craving a fast food burger, they make one here, in house, with scratch made seitan! It is reminiscent of the McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese and is seriously and dangerously addicting. I haven't ever had anything here that I didn't completely fall in love with. Every time we take a visitor to Chicago there they always want to go back again.

Pros: Amazing food , Super friendly owner & staff , Moving to a larger location with alcohol!

Cons: Small

amaze balls - Edit

Casual cafe. Super friendly staff. Chill vibe. Free wifi. Delicious food. Street parking out front.

great vegan deep dish pizza - Edit

Came all the way from Switzerland to have their delicious vegan deep dish pizza. Fantastic!

Pros: delicious food, friendly service.

Delicious! - Edit

They had a chimichanga special that my husband says was delicious. I had their chicken sandwich which was soooo good. totally recommended. we'll be back!

Pros: Fully vegan

One of a kind! - Edit

I visited Chicago over the summer and couldn't wait to check out Kitchen 17. A vegan friend of mine had already been and said I had to try the pizza, and I am SO glad I did. I was looking forward to trying the deep dish but on the day I was there deep dish wasn't being offered, so I ordered the Sicilian and it was crazy delicious! Unlike any other vegan pizza I've had...soooo good. I absolutely loved the pepperoni seitan. Definitely one of the best vegan pizzas I've had. Ordered the spinach artichoke dip for appetizer and I was very impressed. Haven't seen this on the menu in any other vegan restaurant I've been to. For dessert I had a couple different types of donuts and they were very tasty. Wished I lived closer so I could try everything on the menu!

Great Food - Edit

Kitchen 17 was on my list of places to try when I visited Chicago last week. I wasn't able to get there for the deep dish pizza, but the regular pizza we had (supreme) was amazing. One of the best vegan pizzas I had. We also had the nachos and I tried the cherry milkshake. I went with non vegan friends who were also impressed with the food.

Pros: Great Food, Reasonable prices , Friendly service

Cons: Seating is limited

best pizza I've had - Edit

I've been hearing about Kitchen 17 but never made the trip because it's a long drive from me. All I can say is wow, I'll be coming back again. I had the Sicilian pizza and it was the best pizza I've ever had. It taste completely different than your typical pizza you get at blaze or whole foods. Also had the artichoke dip and that was just as amazing.

Pros: great food, friendly service

Cons: very limited seating

Kitchen 17 is AWESOME - Edit

I stopped by hungry and on my way to an appointment. Being in a hurry I didn't read the sign on the storefront window and all I saw on the menu were burgers and pizza, and saw a case full of delicious-looking donuts. I asked if they had anything vegan and was floored when he said, "Everything here it." Jumped for JOY!!! Delicious food!! Highly recommend to everyone, regardless of diet choices.

Pros: variety, healthy, quick

Cons: no cons

Best vegan pizza I've had so far! - Edit

I'm a Chicagoland native currently living in the Washington DC area. On a recent weekend visit to my old hometown buddies, I asked them to bring me to their favorite Chicagoland vegan restaurants. Kitchen 17 was one of the two they chose - and this place totally lived up to my friends' recommendations! I ordered the Pizza Supreme with seitan pepperoni and soy cheese - and though a bit too spicy for my wimpy taste, it was absolutely delicious - best vegan pizza I have eaten to date. My friends had the gyro and BBQ sandwiches, and those were outstanding as well. Staff are super nice. The place is very simple and small, and my friends and I were thinking the organization of tables, counter etc. could be improved - but overall this dining experience was just amazing!

Pros: Outstanding quality and range of vegan options, Excellent value, Super nice staff

Cons: Organization of tables, counter could be improved

Favorite vegan food in Chicago - Edit

I absolutely love Kitchen 17. The owner/chef Don clearly cares so much about his food and creates awesome vegan dishes.

My favorites here have been the Philly cheesesteak and nachos, though their pizza is also really good--maybe the best restaurant vegan pizza I've had in the city. All of the dishes are creative and delicious. It's a small operation and the food takes awhile, so just make sure you leave yourself enough time to enjoy without rushing. (Also, they use a small oven for the pizza, so there's a good wait for it--but it's worth it.)

I can't gush about this place enough; it's a really special restaurant run by someone who seems to truly care.

(On top of everything else, too, I saw the owner give a free meal to man who looked like he really needed it, refusing to take his money, and doing it very quietly.)

Pros: The best food!, Friendly owner, No-tip policy (+ fair wage for employees)

awesome food - Edit

Greek burger was delicious! Best vegan burger I have ever had. Wait was 10 min or so, perfect meal.

Great food, badly organized - Edit

Delicious food but MAN, this is NOT a quick-service spot in any sense.

I ordered lunch at 1:27 and got my food around 2:15. A 50-minute wait is just not sustainable for most people to get lunch on a weekday. I had a meeting to get to and basically had to scarf down my food in a non-enjoyable way, due to the long wait.

Kitchen 17 was not busy, either. There were empty tables.

I hate to rag on a vegan business but I just want people to know that they should anticipate spending a *very* long time here.

Pros: Delicious food, housemade seitan

Cons: Slow service

Place is Amazing. Don was great! - Edit

Got there right when they opened. Don the owner was super nice. Made everything from scratch. Pizza is great. Spinach artichoke dip is great and the donuts are fantastic.

Also the cheese on the nachos was tasty too

Delicious Delights - Edit

Tried their artisanal cheeses at Vegan Vortex spring market. Truly delicious. Would be at home on any cheese tray, and quickly devoured. Pizza had sold out; looking forward to trying it next visit.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 18, 2016
So glad I visited restaurant before leaving town. Had the fresh from the oven fully loaded deep dish pizza - best I ever had! Hand made crust topped by a sausage base, loaded with freshly made cheeses, house made marinara sauce spiked with spinach, onions, garlic, olives, etc. was lovely to behold, smelled wonderful & tasted divine!
House made cheeses grace the cheese sauce topping the creamy, bubbly Mac & cheese. Vegan comfort food at its best.
Light, fluffy donuts were a hit for dessert. Only let down was the lemon custard filling could have been a bit more lemony; custard was creamy, not too sweet, yet just a bit bland.
Excellent service. Very clean, neat, quaint setting; compact. Available on street parking convenient during the day.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tastily homemade, Affordable

Cons: Very compact, Limited hours

I want to live here - Edit

This place is a perfect gem. The spinach artichoke dip - I . CAN'T. EVEN. It's so good and garlicky and hot and gooey and salty omg. The pizza - ridiculous. Donuts - just incredible. I would live here, for scraps.

Pros: laid back vibe and amazing food

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kitchen 17 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.