Kismet

802-223-8646

52 State St, Montpelier, Vermont, USA, 05602

Serves meat, vegan options available. Slow food restaurant in a updated farmhouse like setting. Has a few lacto-vegetarian choices, a vegan club sandwich with tempeh (cost around $14), and weekend brunch. Uses local and some organic ingredients. Previously located on Barre St. Open Sat 8:00am-2:00pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm. Open Wed-Sat 5pm-close.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veggiebird

Fantastic food in Montpelier - Edit

My partner & I were up visiting some friends in Montpelier in October (sorry, late review) and we ended up going to Kismet for brunch on the day we left. I was a bit nervous to try them as I was the only vegan in our party and I knew their menu was limited, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The waitress we had was very familiar with "vegan" and happily pointed out to me what things were vegan or could easily be made vegan (which wasn't much, but more than I'd thought from looking at the menu online)). I ended up getting the vegan version of the scramble (see picture I uploaded) and it was FANTASTIC.

My non-vegan partner also loved her dish (I forget what she got, some egg thing maybe) and my friends liked theirs as well.

Some downsides: Montpelier is a small town (not many places to eat out) and this restaurant is just a few steps up from tiny (they might have 10 tables + a bar), so we ended up waiting for at least 45 minutes to be seated. They don't take reservations and VT is COLD, so dress warmly and be prepared to window-shop nearby while waiting and don't arrive starving.

That said, this place is very cute, interesting decor and staff was very friendly and I'd happily eat there again on my next visit. Food-wise, it was possibly the best vegan meal I had in 2015; the vegetables were so tasty and fresh.

Pros: Very Tasty, Warm & friendly staff, Lovely decor

Cons: Limited options for vegans, Long wait to be seated, Small place

Love Kismet - Edit

Always have vegan options. The vegan Benedict would convert any omnivore. It's amazing. They take credit cards now too.

Pros: Local food , Great space, Always have vegan options

Cons: $$, Always busy

Phenomenal food, but .... - Edit

Kismet catered our recent wedding reception, and the food, which is the most important thing, was absolutely fabulous. We especially loved the polenta with vegan cream sauce, the roasted tomatoes, and the utterly delicious bread. Everything came with clear serving instructions (although not enough Sterno -- we had to make an emergency trip to get more). The meal also featured stuffed eggplant, roasted garlic, roasted squash, stuffed grape leaves, and spinach salad with cranberries, walnuts, and a maple-mustard dressing. Everything was great in taste and appearance.

We also rented dishes, flatware, and table linens from Kismet. The dishes were not clean when we got them, so the bride ended up doing dishes the morning of the wedding. Also, the cloth napkins were so stained that we had to ask friends to make an emergency store trip to pick up paper napkins. These two issues added unnecessary stress to a day when it was certainly not needed.

Another word of caution: Kismet does not accept credit cards. We were surprised that this wasn't mentioned to us earlier, since it's virtually unheard of in business these days. We were having friends pick up the food, which was a hour's drive away on icy roads, so this was another crisis. Kismet was not willing to accept PayPal or a wire transfer, and we ended up having our friend pay for the food to be reimbursed by us later.

Pros: great food, good instructions for serving

Cons: limited payment options, messy dishes and linens

Jeffrey 22 Feb 2013 - Hi Pheasance, I found your review very helpful. It sounds like this place wasn't ready to enter the catering business.

best vegan breakfast ever - Edit

this place has amazing food! my husband and i went here for breakfast and we had the best vegan breakfast ever and they even have vegan crepes!

Pros: vegan breakfast, excellent food, healthy cuisine

Cons: small, small, small

tasty treat - Edit

we had a wonderful brunch hear. Lots of fresh local and organic ingredients. a great selection of fresh made juices. The place is cozy but small.

Pros: excellent food, healthy meals, friendly staff

Cons: small space

Return to Montpelier Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kismet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.