Kintsubo Shokudo

Contact 81-988678607

Okinawa, Tsuboya 1-7-9 (at /Near Makishi Public Market), Okinawa, Japan,

Name in Japanese is 金壷食堂. All you can eat buffet at around ¥600 per person. It is hard to find but it is near Pottery Street. Try the breakfast. Most dishes are vegan - better to ask the chef to confirm on the individual dishes. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-4:00pm. Kitchen closes 1 hour before closing.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Buffet, Taiwanese

First Review by Rachelcooksvegan

Great lunch for an amazing price! - Edit

The buffet actually cost 600 Yen! A great lunch for that price with relatively tasty food. Friendly owner whom can inform you of what dishes includes non-vegan stuff. For me it was only a sauce in one of the dishes.

Visited a few weeks ago and the current location on the map is correct...

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-04

Pros: Cheap, Good location

Maybe they are too busy - Edit

It's a bit hard to find this restaurant because the google map is wrong... I went into the restaurant and no one serves me maybe they are too busy preparing foods. It's buffet with 10 kinds of food to choose from. You can also get rice or congee or miso soup there. The food is just so so. It's called Taiwanese food but I don't really think so. It's probably just some stir-fried veggie which looks like Taiwanese or Chinese. But Not really traditional Taiwanese food. (I am a hongkonger who has been in Taiwan for a few times). It's cheap after all.

When you are looking for some breakfast. - Edit

A lot of vegan friendly restaurants in Japan open around lunch time.
But this place offer breakfast buffet which was a life saver for me because I had to take a flight at 1pm.

You have the option of white rice or congee and some soup and the dishes laid out in front of you.
You can choose dumplings or spring rolls for the extra kick when you feel the side dishes don't seem too appealing.

Pros: cheap, delicious , lots of choices

Cons: a bit hard to find

Great buffet breakfast - Edit

We went to have breakfast at 8 AM and weren't disappointed. 600 yen all you can eat buffet. Everything was vegan on the day we visited but you probably should ask as they have different stuff every day. The lady working there spoke Mandarin and little English.

Affordable Taiwanese veggie/vegan friendlybuffet - Edit

600yen for a vegetarian/vegan buffet!
There was only one dish that had eggs in it. They served us one veggie springroll each, had rice and congee on the side and served lots of different cooked veggies, tofu and beans. I give the food 3.5/5. You'll definitely leave full and satisfied.

Pros: Inexpensive, All you can eat

Cons: Closes around 3pm, Greasy

very suitable for vegans - Edit

I went there today with my boyfriend and we both liked the restaurant.
It is a small place in a side street between Heiwa dori and the Pottery Street. We asked for it in one of the stores nearby and the woman that worked there showed it to us.
The food is taiwanese. We came for lunch which was a buffet. The owner didn't know the word "vegan", but after explaining that we are vegetarians that don't eat egg and dairy products, he confirmed that ALL of the dishes offered at the buffet were suitable for vegans.
There were a lot of vegetables, peas/beans and tofu. With the buffet comes rice, a soup and jasmine tea.
After eating a big lunch, we payed only 600 Yen for it all.
The staff was also very nice.
Overall, it is a nice place with good and especially cheap food. As the food wasn't outstanding though, I give four out of five stars.

Little Taiwan in Okinawa! - Edit

Chinese vegetarian dishes at amazing 600 yen!! The owner was so friendly and he wanted to show me some rare Taiwanese vegan ingredients from his freezer. You should definety go if you are in that area, since Okinawa is NOT vege-friendly island, their traditional dishes are pork feet soup!!!

How to get there: yes it's a bit hard, from famous Kokusai street at around center, there is Heiwa dori arcade (very ugly, old passage) enter there and walk to the end at about 10 min. When you see sun shine again, ask somebody if they know Kintsubo Shokudo, vegetarian (BEGITALIAN) restaurant. Should be very close. Only open until 3:00-4:00 pm.

New Cafe - Edit

This place has changed hands. It's now an alternative cafe offering a vegan curry for lunch for under 1,000 Yen. It's not open for dinner. The staff were very friendly, but as I don't speak much Japanese and they don't (yet) have a website or phone number I don't have all the information needed to update this, so it would be great if someone else could in the future. As far as I know the menu is mostly not vegan (as the advertisements for "village leather from Nepal suggest) but the delicious curry is still excellent value if you're in the Pottery village. It's just around the corner from the pottery museum.

Pros: delicious, inexpensive vegan lunch set, friendly staff, great location in the pottery village

Cons: no longer all veg (I think)

2 Responses

happycowaccount 17 May 2016 - Actually I think you accidentally went to Soi Cafe (https://www.facebook.com/soi.naha) instead of Kintsubo Shokudo. We visited Kintsubo Shokudo just recently and it was still a Taiwanese breakfast / lunch buffet.

JesseD 05 Jul 2016 - Thank you so much for letting me know. I would update my review but it would move it to the top, which doesn't seem right when I didn't go there.
So please everyone take this as a warning to find the right restaurant! I'm disappointed that I didn't make it to Kintsubo Shokudo.

Simple, tasty, healthy - Edit

Perfect buffet, full of vegetables, soup, rice, udon, the, water. Almost everything was vegan, but I think the menu changes pretty much everyday, so, if you are vegan, just say it to the owner and he'll tell you what you can eat. Everything was delicious and very tasty.
The place is small and very simple.

The location on the map is wrong, the right street is the one that runs parallel to the one signed. I took a screen shot on Maps when I was there and I'll upload it.

Pros: Lots of vegetables, Buffet, Vegan choices

Return to Okinawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kintsubo Shokudo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.