First Review by brenk

basic store - Edit

Before driving out to the fjords where we'd have an apartment with a kitchenette, we wanted to stock up on some vegan items. While the store had the basic groceries we needed along with some vegan sausages and cheese, there didn't seem to be a lot of vegan items in comparison to health food stores elsewhere (or even regular grocery stores in some places). For instance, they only had one flavor and brand of vegan yogurt. Considering it's in Bergen, we were grateful to go there, but it was just a basic store that still sold meat, dairy and eggs.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: sells meat, dairy and eggs

Fantastic!! - Edit

I was in Bergen for two and a half weeks last summer for an academic conference and art exhibition (and because my Norwegian side of the family only came to the U.S.–where I currently reside–from Bergen only a few generations ago and I very much so wanted to experience that place). Kinsarvik made me immeasurably happy. ! After a week of moving around and eating whatever, and doing a ton of walking and traveling (and adjusting to the time difference), I had access to a kitchen and then found THIS place...after spotting signs featuring "økologisk" and making a quick skip down several blocks. There is so much packed into this small, beautiful space. BUT MOSTLY: there is a massive open faced cooler of vegan meats and related (cheese-esque) alternatives. The actual meats are far away in a small floor cooler in the back. This discrepancy is not typical in my experience and caused great joy; I may have literally laughed out loud in the store. Though not strictly vegan, I am strictly vegetarian and do not eat fisk...which understandably baffles everyone in Western Norway. Long-story-short, in my excitement to use a gas stove and cast iron in a small, old, Norwegian kitchen plus the extensive array of never-before-seen brands of small vegan sausages and salami-style slices...I spent pert near 500 NOK on said delicacies. Some focaccia from Godt Brød. Best $60 I've ever spent.

Pros: excellent food, good value, easy access

Nice store for vegans - Edit

I have been to this store several times to get some tofu, veg sausages, chia seeds, or sweets like ice cream. :) Great store but a little narrow

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan food and cosmetics, nice vibe

Cons: Little expensive

THE store for vegans in Bergen - Edit

This is the best store in town for vegans. I'm addition to the standard grocery store inventory, they also have a wide range of vegan meats and cheeses and they often have a sale on many items.

Lifesaver, if you're a vegan on a budget! - Edit

We stopped by here to pick up some vegan sandwich items, since it was difficult (and pricey!) to try to eat vegan in Bergen. They are fully stocked with lots of options for vegans -- fake meats, cheeses, spreads, etc. An easy and inexpensive lunch ended up being some vegan bologna and bread, with some potato chips. Totally delicious and easy. This is a great place. They were closed on Sunday (wah) so we were only able to shop here once, but it was a lifesaver!

Pros: Well-stocked, Lots of options

Cons: Closed Sunday! Plan ahead!

Amazing! - Edit

Really well stocked health food store. We spent the weekend in Bergen and it was great for picking up sweet snacks for the evening, and to make a quick sandwich on-the-go with the vegan cheese and meats that they sell. Loads of frozen food, big fridges filled with vegan products, loads of sugar free and gluten free products - basically a healthy supermarket!

Pros: Huge vegan range, Friendly staff, Great location

life saver - Edit

What a great shop for vegans. Has a great selection of vegan cheeses, sliced meat alternatives for making sandwiches/lunch, tofu, sausages, frozen pies and other products, thai curry pastes etc etc.

We are staying in an apartment in Bergen with full kitchen facilities, and with the goodies we were able to buy from Kinsarvik, we were able to make all of our own meals. Highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent range of vegan products

my rescue! - Edit

found Kinsarvik here on happycow , and i'm glad i did!
i took a lot of vegan food with me went to norway but, there aren't a lot of vegan options in bergen. So i'm happy i got to know the store so i could do my groceries there!
it's a nice shop with a lot of choices!

Pros: a lot of choice, cosy

Lots of meatless options for vegans - Edit

I love Kinsarvik, it's got a good selection of vegan products and that's quite rare in Norway. Love that they've got lots of vegan Anamma, Fry's, Linda McCartney etc. It's pricey, but that's Norway for you
Updated from previous review on Monday July 14, 2014

Pros: Great selection of vegan food, Friendly staff, Basically in the city centre

Cons: Pricey

Where the local vegans go - Edit

I have been going to this store for about 15 years. It's an institution in Bergen and pretty well-known in all of Norway (among veg*ns that is). They are expensive, yes even by Norwegian standards, but they have items no-one else carries so they are able to do so. They have ecological and locally produced fruit and vegetables, gluten free foods (mostly frozen...) and plenty of fake meat as well as nuts, seeds, skincare products. They also have a section for bodybuilders, though that is mostly whey-based so ok for vegetarians but not vegans - they do carry a vegan one though. All in all I love this store because I can get soy products in town, all kinds of gluten free flours etc. Being a vegan and gluten free is always a problem (seitan get away from me!) and sadly, out of all the 10+ sausages they have none are gluten free. Some options are there though, and good marinated tofu for cooking. They have some non-dairy cheese too although not the best. When it comes to buying tofu regularly, you will find it a lot cheaper in asian stores, my favourite being at danmarks plass.

Pros: Large selection of veg*an items, Allergy-friendly goods, Has .. everything

Cons: Expensive, Items not always priced, Most veg items contani seitan

Great selection - Edit

Great shop with vegan ice cream and burgers etc. I found this to be the perfect place to buy food for my travels in the country (where you won't find any tofu or something like it).

my home store - Edit

I visit kinsarvik frequently to buy dried fruits, organic nuts, nut butters, beans, tea and organic veggies. They also stock lots of mock-meats, tofu, ready meals, supplements, raw snacks, vegan chocolate and spreads.

I love this store, but some of the products are expensive, so watch your money! It's easy to go overboard...

Pros: well stocked, organic

Cons: ssome high prices

Awesome place. - Edit

I went to this store when I visited Bergen about three weeks ago and it was great. Kinsarvik had a large range of vegan and organic foods from fake meats to frozen vegan ice cream. They also had a bunch of other natural items from vitamins to snack bars to care products. Kinsarvik had a lot of vegan products I haven't seen before that were amazing. If you're traveling this is a great place to stock up on some vegan or organic snacks or grab some supplies for a nice picnic on one of the fjord tours. If you're lucky enough to live by this store it has pretty much all of your basic needs. Wish I had one of these back home.

Pros: Great Food, Good Value

Cons: Closes early

Return to Bergen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kinsarvik closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4871 times since Nov 2007.