Kingston 11 Cuisine

510-465-2558

2270 Telegraph Ave (at W Grand Ave), Oakland, California, USA, 94612

Serves meat, vegan options available. Jamaican restaurant with a solid amount of clearly labeled vegan choices - try the popular black pepper tofu. Has an Irie Hour Tue-Sat, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm. Closed Mon.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Caribbean, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Tigra220

The Black Pepper Tofu is What Your Life Needs - Edit

I had the pleasure of eating here during a special catering event last Saturday. Of the items in rotation, there were a handful of vegan options for me to try.

Mixed Green Salad - similar to the organic spring mix found at Sam's and/or Costco. They add roasted red & green peppers and a tasty vinaigrette. Simple yet good as a meal starter, although, I wouldn't buy it a la carte.

Plantains - sweet and savory; cooked perfectly.

Curry Vegetables over jasmine rice - Yummy flavors and lots of bright veggies, but I prefer a little more spice in my curries.

Rice and Peas - classic rice and peas; they were good, but not extraordinary.

BLACK PEPPER TOFU! Yes, all caps because it was so delicious that I am screaming inside just thinking about it. This dish was actually the second dish to come out and I was so obsessed that I stopped taking pictures of the other dishes. This flavor-packed small dish is served over white rice. I was a little peeved that the meat eaters were eating all the vegan food (they had plenty of their own meat dishes), so after the event, I waited until the restaurant's 5pm opening time and ordered 2 more orders of the Black Pepper Tofu, along with 2 orders of the Spicy Green Beans to go. (The green beans are really tasty as well.)

The food prices are reasonable; the drinks, not so much. A small glass of Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic) was $5, which is a bit much, IMO. Regarding service, one young male waiter was exceptionally awesome and helpful. The tall male (also a bartender) seemed easily annoyed anytime we asked a question, and a young female waitress (she was not present during the catering event, but was there during dinner service at 5pm) had a SERIOUS attitude problem. Aside from that, I had an enjoyable experience at Kingston 11 and will return for more Black Pepper Tofu!

Pros: flavorful tofu dish

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kingston 11 Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.