Kingsland. Healthy Vegan Restaurant

• Friend
  • Vegan
Contact 02-62629350

Shop 5 Dickson Plaza, 67-69 Woolley St, Dickson, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, ACT 2602

Kingsland's menu features a range of vegetables, tofu, soy seafood and soy meat dishes, some crunchy entrees and ice cream desserts. Dishes are served with more salad and vegetables. Live music and karaoke occasionally, suitable for party function up to 70 persons. High chairs provided for children. Located in Canberra Chinatown area, under current ownership since Apr 2010.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Western, Asian

First Review by MrHappy

Best vegan food in canberra! - Edit

Kingsland has the best vegan food in Canberra!

They have a huge menu that is clearly labelled with gluten free options as well. They have a great range of vegan gluten free entrees which was a lovely surprise!The crunchy wontons, dumplings, veggie crackers and dim sims were amazing.

All their ingredients are plant-based and natural. Absolutely none of their ingredients come from any animal.

They have a huge selection of mock meats for those who enjoy them.

There is something for everyone here even if your not vegan!

i highly recommend visiting if your in Canberra!

Pros: A huge menu, Friendly staff

Fake Chicken Love - Edit

My meal was amazing and the soy chicken pieces were absolutely delicious. I also ordered the drumsticks and they came out looking exactly what you have come to expect from a chicken drumstick and they could easily have been mistaken as real. The complimentary tea was also highly appreciated.

Travel Oasis - Edit

Love love love this place - have eaten here multiple times and I would almost come back to Canberra just to order the crispy mushroom balls! I have to travel with work to Canberra frequently and always try and make it here if I can :) have taken non-veg friends here and they loved it!

Visitor in Canberra - Edit

We got takeaway after a long drive, it was so yummy! Very friendly service, cute eating area too. Both the corn and wonton soups were delicious, but my fav was the sweet and sour 'pork', SO GOOD!

Pros: All vegan

Kingsland Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

As a long term Canberra resident I alway chose to eat out in Kingsland. On our farewell from Canberra to Hobart we have invited our friends for 2 days in a row to the Kingsland restaurant. They all have been extremely happy with the service and the meals. I have known the owners of the restaurant for a very lang time. They cook and prepare the food to perfection.
The food is excellent, affordable and the service is friendly. I wholeheartedly recommend Kingsland.

Pros: very good food, friendly service, affordable

Cons: some dishes may take a bit long, not to mention, not to mention

Excellent food, atmosphere, staff and menu! - Edit

Recently converted vegetarian and am adjusting to the idea of becoming vegan. However, kingsland has shown me that vegan food can be and is really really delicious and enjoyable! I really look forward to the days that I know I will be having dinner at kingsland as it has a nice environment with friendly staff and a lovely chef! The restaurant is kept well and tidy and has a homely feeling. The menu is super affordable everything I have tried has been extremely tasty and enjoyable. Hot and sour soup, salt and pepper prawns, chicken or mushroom balls and roast duck are definitely a must!!!! On tuesdays and wednesdays if you spend over $30.00 you receive a 20% off discount which is definitely beneficial to your pocket and just unbeatable in food quality and restaurant prices! Definitely recommend it to anyone skeptical of vegan food as kingsland will convert you! happy vegan eating!

Pros: Healthy , Affordable, Delicious!

Great vegan cusines - Edit

We go to Kingsland every time when we feel lazy to cook at home and want to have a few healthy and tasty dishes for a change. The food is great! We enjoyed the salt and pepper soy prawn and hot and spicy rendeng, there are some nice healthy vegetable dishes. This place is certainly a totally vegan recipe including some gluten free, certainly one of the best vegan restaurants.

Pros: Healthy food, good price, friendly staff

Best vegan meals - Edit

Excellent choices for vegetable and mock-meat dishes here. The food is tasting, fresh, cheap and delicious. It's my favourite place to go for a banquet and to introduce vegan diet to family and friends.

Highly recommended. Must try!

Updated from previous review on Saturday April 18, 2015

Pros: Good value, Nice staff

Beautiful food & lovely atmosphere - Edit

My hubby, son & I come to eat at this amazing restaraunt once every couple weeks. It is hands down one of our favourite restaraunts to go to, our friends love coming here too. The food is very tasty & clean, we always feel nice & full afterwards. The staff are very friendly and always make us feel welcome. Will recommend this great place to anyone, must try!

Disappointing Vegetarian Meals - Edit

Recently to Canberra, so went to try out very famous Kingsland (went there many years ago was good). Ordered Hokkien Noodle and Flat Noodle(Char Keow Teow)....so much pepper and had ? ginger in both dishes. Flat noodles still stuck together. Does not taste like Hokkien Noddle & Char Keow Teow at all. Staff very friendly.

Pros: Easy to find, Staff friendly, Easy car park

Cons: Disappointing meals

Best - Edit

My boyfriend and I go here for dinner at least once a week! Its a haven for people who like a quiet, fast, delicious vegan meal!! The people who work there are so beautiful, I had my 21st birthday dinner there, it was perfect and everyone was so full and were so supprised at just what you can do with vegan food! I ended up hugging all the chefs and they stayed open late for us! I have never had a bad experience there even before the new management! THANK YOU KINGSLAND!!

Excellent - Edit

The Kingsland Restaurant is without doubt a Master of Vegan Food.I actually had to ask the waiter twice if the Beef Rendang was actually vegetarian, and was stunned to find out it was. The fish dish was outstanding! We had the B Banquet with many courses and all 4 of us left full and satisfied, and they even gave us Jasmine Tea for free, all for $68! No I do not work for the owners, I'm just letting the public know, this restaurant is a winner!

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, healthy food

Cons: Should look like a Buddhist temple

My favourite restaurant - Edit

I went with a group of friends last night and we were all blown away by the variety of flavours. I helped my friends choose some of the dishes and they wouldn't stop mmmm'ing including a meat eater who went into the kitchen after dessert to thank the chef! I hope ShelA goes again, and tries something else. The freshness of the vege's is undeniable. There were plenty of fresh veges for us to enjoy and it showed in the colourful presentation. Can't wait to go back next week (my plan) with my boyfriend.

Pros: Scrumptiousness factor, fresh colourful dishes, freindly, considerate staff

Cons: website not updated

Choose Carefully - Edit

We recently went to Kingsland for dinner and came away very disappointed. The dishes we chose were, unfortunately, overly oily with very little vegetable content. We'll give it another go, but not in a hurry.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Too oily, Not enough vegetable options, Service so quick dishes were cold in places

Love this place! - Edit

We come about once a week, its great!
The owner is the sweetest lady you'll ever meet. Once we came in after it was supposed to be close (didn't realise). Even though she'd sent home the chef already she told us she'd cook for us because "there's not enough places to eat for vegetarians in canberra". In summary: go there, its awesome

Getting better and better... - Edit

Great food with new dishes coming out almost every time I go now. I love the new flat noodle gravy with vegetables and duck - an absolute taste sensation. The noodles are smooth and have a slight smoky taste and contrast perfectly with the crispy fried duck with fresh snow peas and other fresh vegetables fried just past crisp to round off the dish in style. This restaurant seems quite experimental and interesting. The new decor is modern and clean and provides a relaxing ambience. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Other outstanding dishes include 'Fresh spring parcels' and 'mushroom stem' (just ask for no chili if you cannot stand the "heat"). I am in suspense to see what the menu will reveal next time I visit...

yumyum - Edit

i've been coming to kingsland since living in canberra during early 2000's. back then, i visited waaay too often and sampled most of the menu, several times. i've since left canberra, and upon every returning visit i've gone back to kingsland.

this visit has seen new management change just recently - the new owner is lovely, very friendly + a cup of green tea while awaiting my takeaway. apparently the decor has changed, though my memory doesn't serve well as to what it looked like last time. now it's tiled, clean looking - personally it's not to my taste, i prefer 'warmer' restaruants, cosier - but then i don't come here for the decor.

the food, is where its at.

it's great, really exceptional, and that hasn't changed over the years. i've been to a lot of vege places around the world + still, very little surpasses kingsland. i enjoy the mock meat, that's their speciality. i've taken countless meat eaters there, and they still discuss their visit to this date, amazed at how great it was.

this visit i took the roast duck and honey chicken. both were very good. the roast duck has definitely improved since my visit years ago, when it was very dry and crusty on the edges. this time it was back to good form.

price wise; they have mid week discounts. i'm visiting from london, so out of touch with current prices - my mains were $13 each and yes, i thought this was a little steep. but then again i'm not familiar with the competition AND i don't mind paying knowing the food is exceptional.

so lots of positives; from someone who is typically very critical! and this is honestly the only place i've continued visiting for 10 years!!

Pros: mock meat yummmm, service - fantastic

Cons: not the cheapest

Kingsland now has new owners. Great improvements! - Edit

Kingsland has now changed owners and the benefits are already obvious!

On entry, the fresh new look is immediately evident, with the old carpets replaced by sparkling clean tiles, walls painted in subtle tones, and decor simplified and updated. A much more contemporary and hygienic theme is the first notable difference.

Service is the second obvious benefit with new owners - current staff are courteous and quick to offer friendly service. Green tea was poured before we had even seen the menus, and was of no charge (including refills throughout the evening).

Whilst the menu choices have not changed, two positive points must be made:

1) Prices have been dramatically reduced on all counts, main meals and entrees! Further discounts apply on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with reductions of additional to 20% total bill. This is very good news and encourages hungry diners to experiment with new dishes, knowing the total bill will still be very affordable.

2) Dishes are still accurate to menu descriptions but have been modified to be healthier, fresher and tastier than before! Gone is the too-salty and intense flavours of the previous menu set. Replaced by ripe tasty side salads/garnishes, generous servings of sauces/condiments for entrees, and well balanced main meals with plenty of unique flavours for each dish.

Dishes came out of the kitchen quickly, and nice and hot, with fried goods showing the signs of good clean oil and correct frying temperatures. No soggy oily dishes to be found here! Just crispy, light textures. The spring rolls were a very pleasant surprise in this regard.

It will be interesting to observe the changes in the dishes over the coming months (hopefully years) to see if the chefs develop more of their own style under this new management, and update the menus to reflect their own specialty dishes.

With the recent closure of the southside Tuggeranong 'Vegetarian House' restaurant, the fresh approach of the new "Kingsland" restaurant comes with perfect timing to help boost Canberra's very small Vegetarian Restaurant scene.

Pros: Fresh and clean atmosphere, Great prices, New flavours

Cons: Needs more vegetables in fried dishes, No ambient music

Return to Canberra Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kingsland. Healthy Vegan Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7313 times since Aug 2007.