King Liew

Contact 0805456723

49 Ong Sim Phai, Phuket, Thailand,

Small veggie eatery opposite Phuket Grocery near Phuket Rd and Robinson Department Store. The owner is a former hotel chef. Offers Thai food made to order plus salads and sandwiches and an added section of Italian dishes. No onion or garlic. Free Wi-Fi. English spoken. May 2016 reported no longer using dairy cheese. Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Italian, Thai, Western, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Britt87

Good vegan restaurant with cozy design - Edit

This is nice place for lunch and dinner. No air-con, but is not a problem because of many fans. They don't use in food any animal products, onion and garlic expect pizza and dishes with cheese which they cook for farangs. Veggie curry is very good, tom yam is ok. They have snacks as a crispy mushroom, fried corn cakes and fried tofu. Try sandwiches.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-27

Good food and a nice place to sit for a while. - Edit

I visited this restaurant today. I had a "ginger stir fry" with rice that was really flavorfull and good. This dish is under "main dishes" in the menu, but it is a small portion, especially the stir fry part of it. If you are hungry you'd better order some appetizer as well. From what I could see at the other customers tables the appetizers were, contrary to the main dishes, very large in size. I also had an "apple soda" that I wish I hadn't ordered. It was a very sweet and synthetic tasting super green thing that is probably popular with kids.Dish and drink was 90 baht all together. (I think the drink was 30, so the food was probably 60)

Pros: Lots of vegan and vegetarian options. Nice staff.

Cons: Mock meat is not my favorite cup of tea, and there

5* sandwiches - Edit

Cozy, free sealed water, unbelievably cheap sandwiches (65 Baht) which come straight from heaven.
They are listed as "appetizers" but would count as a whole meal in any other restaurant. Even if you share them between two they will really fill you up so be careful not to order too much.

Don't bother with the "Italian" food such as pasta if you're really expecting something genuine. It will be the Thai version of for instance Spaghetti Bolognese with Tofu instead of mince and a tomato sauce that doesn't taste like tomatoes.

Can't comment on the Thai food as I haven't tried it.
The food is really cheap here! Usually western choices are expensive in Thai restaurants but here none of the meals except for pizza is over 100 Baht. Great deal for the quality you get.

Pro Tip: Order the Jumbo Sandwiches (not the Ham ones) with the carrot soup and dip them in it. I seriously never came across sandwiches this good. Worth the try.

Pros: Sandwiches are godlike, Super cheap

Cons: Wifi doesn't work, Italian choices taste crap

really not great, don't know why it's so highly rated - Edit

Let me start by clarifying, this is NOT a vegan restaurant. They serve cheese. When I asked if everything on the menu was vegan / jay they said yes, so I ordered pizza. Then they told me the pizza wasn't vegan...

Pros: price

Cons: everything else

Best Thai food on Phuket island - Edit

We were delighted to discover King Liew, whose made-to-order meals offer a tasty and refreshing change from the lukewarm buffets that dominate Phuket's veg dining scene.

We were told that all the Thai items on the menu are vegan, but most (or all) of the non-Thai items contain dairy products, so vegans will want to stick to the Thai items. Specifically, the owner told us that the pizza and pasta dishes contain cow milk products, as does the bread they use for sandwiches.

We tried about half of the Thai items on the menu over the course of several visits, and everything ranged from good to great. Our favorite appetizer is the fried corn cakes (among the best we've had anywhere) and our favorite main dishes are the "curry fish" and the "kale with salted fish."

We only wish they offered fresh juices or coconut, but we found other places to get those.

Service is friendly and casual.

We recommend going either before or after the main lunch and dinner rushes. Both times we made the mistake of arriving during peak meal times, we waited more than an hour for our food. When coming during off-peak hours, however, service was quick.

Pros: Tasty meals with many vegan options, friendly service

Cons: Not all vegan, can be very slow when busy

Lovely vegan food in Phuket town - Edit

The food is really nice. They have western dishes which is a nice change to having curry everyday :) . I had the macaroni cheese with bbq mock chicken and it was awesome! and where else can you get vegan ham sandwiches in Asia ?? Nice clean place and the stay were friendly too.

beautiful food, great service - Edit

We found this place whilst staying in Phuket old town. The staff didn't speak English very well but that didn't stop them giving us brilliant service, they were so friendly and helpful!
The food was beautifully flavoured, we enjoyed every dish we had - Tom yam mushroom, sweetcorn fritters, broccoli stir fried, mixed veg stir fry with rice.

Highly recommend visiting this place

I live in SF... top 5 restaurants I've ever been - Edit

Service was exceptional. Staff spoke enough english to get you through your dining experience. Food was outstanding in flavour and texture. I was surprised at the quality of the meat substitutes. Vegetables were cooked perfectly and anything that said spicy was not unbearable. .. what I would consider as medium. Like all of the other reviews that mention the location, it is a bit hard to find but I consider that part of the adventure and it feels like you are a worls away from the touristy areas.

Pros: tasty food, cheap cheap cheap 50bht average , feels like thailand not a resort area

Cons: there isn't one in SF

Some of the best food I've had in Thailand.. - Edit

I ate at King Liew tonight and was really happy with it. They had the best fried corn cakes/fritters I've ever had. My wife and I also had a couple of mock meat dishes were were also excellent. I especially liked my fried vegetables with mock chicken and cashews.

Most of the dishes were between 45-60 baht and the portions were generous. The staff was helpful and our dinner was prepared quite quickly.

The only slight 'con' is the out-of-the-way location. You probably wouldn't find it if you weren't intentionally looking. It's at the end of a road full of local food carts and knockoff shoe stores. As someone else already said, if you're having trouble, it's right across the street from Phuket Grocery, a pretty large grocery store.

I've been traveling in Thailand for the past three weeks and King Liew was probably the best meal I've eaten in that time. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Pros: Excellent tasting food, Great selections of dishes, Inexpensive

Cons: Location was a bit out of the way

Cheap, tasty and simple - Edit

Nice and calm place, great for vegetarians! There are mostly fish and meat at Phuket, so it was a great pleasure for us to find something totally veg. We've been there 3 times and tried about 5-7 different dishes — everything is really good, but you'd better go there for lunch, not for dinner — they cook tastier at day time :)
Lots of options to choose. Every dish is between 40-80 baht.

Doesn't work on Sunday for sure. Maybe closed on other days.

Pros: cheap, good food, clean

Cons: not that easy to find

Good and Friedly - Edit

Simple place, much more comfortable, than most of eateries in Phuket. Quite well designed. Lot's of options in menu. Almost all items costs 40 baht. We were here 3 times and tried nearly 10. Good taste. Be careful with spicy things, ask first. It seams, it's the best vegetarian restaurant in Phuket Town.
If you can't find it ask local taxi drivers, they will help.

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Atmosphere

Cons: No marks for spicy options in menu

Best vegetarian restaurant in phuket island - Edit

This screws is wrong at the map. It at chaofa road soi 7 at 24 supermarket and next to a 7eleven. You cannot see the restaurant from main road, if you head straight down from 24 supermarket you will see it
Visit almost all the vegetarian restaurant in phuket i have to say this is far the best. Most of vegetarian retaurant in phuket is jai style, cooked premade food and cold pre cooked dishes serve with rice, this is real retaurant with many collection and good prices. You can order spicy or none spicy and all the traditional thai dishes. Friendly onwers and open till late at night. I was happy to found that place, if you bored eat over cooked oily food made many hours before like most restaurants in phuket pay a visit to this place
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 01, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 14, 2012

Pros: Nice salads, Cheap food, Great selection and clean food

Cons: It's little way from the city center, None aircorn

King Liew - Best Vegetarian Food in Thailand!! - Edit

After the disappointment that was Patong (do not stay here if you want vegetarian food), we decided to stay in Phuket Town. After reading a favourable review on HappyCow, we decided to check out King Liew, and were not disappointed! The restaurant had a homely atmosphere, and the staff were ultra friendly (they even rescued a turtle, which they are now raising). The menu was extensive (although half was completely in Thai with no English translation - lucky we were helped by friendly regulars). The food in the English part of the menu is delicious enough though. We ordered a delicious pepper mushroom & rice dish, spring rolls, corn, chilli & vegi fritters and a faux meat dish - all were excellent - and Ultra cheap! (it was the most/best food we ate in this region of Thailand, and the cheapest). It's a shame we did not stay in Phuket Town for longer, just so we could try more of the menu. Highly Recommended!

Pros: Food, Staff, Price

Return to Phuket Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has King Liew closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5507 times since Nov 2011.