King Join

Contact 02-27013225

18, SiWei Rd, Da-an District (at near RenAi traffic roundabout), Taipei, Taiwan,

Name in Chinese is 京兆尹. Address in Chinese is 台北市大安區四維路18號. Ancient Chinese delicacy as enjoyed by emperors of the Qing dynasty ("palace cuisine"). Popular among visitors to Taiwan for its beautiful interior and food. Lots of desserts and boxed treats as well.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Gourmet

First Review by linjamie

Soooo delicious! - Edit

My husband, a meat eating foodie, loved it so much we ended up eating here twice in one day! We enjoyed everything thoroughly. Important: check if the food has any milk or egg before ordering. Many things might, but some can be made vegan.
Special favorites: "Chinese burgers," with flaky pastry outer part that was covered in toasted sesame seeds and two delicious kinds of fake meat inside. Amazing. Another favorite was a dessert made of whole wheat and brown sugar, freshly baked to order, simply wonderful.

Pros: exceptionally good food

Cons: you have to be vigilant about whether there's milk

Unique experience - Edit

As others have noted, this restaurant is a unique vegetarian choice in Taipei. The decor is striking, and it will confirm for you that you are about to pay a lot of money for food. Considering how cheap it is to eat in Taipei, it had better be uniquely tasty to justify high prices.

There are courses that can be paired up for you, and you can flip through the menus of these pre-set meals. You can also order a la carte. All the same, the food is expensive. Having been here a few times, I am never so impressed that I am dying to return. Instead, it's more of a celebratory venture to dine here. If I had to pay for my own food, I am very unlikely to come here.

The food is not all vegan, and in fact, most of the prix fixe menus are not… so, be aware. Chat with the staff, they will share what they know to guide you correctly. Nice dining experience, but not necessarily the most vegan happy eating. With so many green veggies in the eateries of Taipei, I am always disappointed here at the dearth of them - come on royalty, what did you eat?!

Pros: Vegetarian, Ambiance, Sit down, attentive service

Cons: Price, Not all vegan

A treat. - Edit

A friend is a frequent here and she suggested us what to order. All the things she recommended were amazing! Check the photos I updated for her recommendation list. I especially love their fried rice. The rice was cooked perfectly, not mushy nor hard. The fried rice was not oily at all. Crunchy nuts and sweet pepper made the fried rice even more interesting. But the radish bun (蘿蔔絲餅), which is not on my friend's list, was just okay. The filling was tasty. But the outer skin was a bit soggy and didn't have enough layers.

The attendants were very friendly and they dressed like Qing dynasty people. I went there on Sunday for lunch and there was a live guzheng music performance. Overall, very highly recommended.

Pros: Delicious! , Royal cuisine (special experience)

Cons: Higher price

Great food - Edit

I came here with a friend, but during the afternoon tea time when many dishes aren't offered. Of the one's available, I was pretty happy. You can see the photos I uploaded with what I ate as I'm not sure of many of dishes by name. I especially like the wild greens with sesame paste, and the radish cake. The sticky rich was also quite good.

Pros: Good food

Even the Chinese people will be impressed. - Edit

King Join is one of my favorite restaurants. I go there at least once a week. Chinese style decorating, but not grand. They provide fantastic food. Even chinese will be impressed.
however, I don't like their sets. To order a la cart is much better.

If you are a vegan, you have to tell they first. They do not use egg, but some of dishes have maik.

BTW, I don't think they use many butter. The special aroma should be a Chinese spice witch named "Toona sinensis".

Pros: tasty

Nice decor, but overly buttery food - Edit

The decor of King Join is beautiful and a good place to stay. However, vegans should let the waitresses know, especially if you get one of the sets. The dessert includes a large helping of yoghurt otherwise.

In the evening, there is often somebody playing live music on traditional Chinese instruments.

I found many of the dishes to be too buttery for my tastes, such as the vegetable dishes, but the noodle dishes were quite good.

Pros: Decor, Live Music

Cons: Price

unique dining experience - Edit

this is a very special restaurant. it focuses on dishes that used to be served to chinese emperors. it wasn't always a vegetarian restaurant. as most of us know, there was no way any chinese emperors were vegetarians. but the owner of this place converted to buddhism and subsequently converted his restaurant to vegetarian only. this has caused considerable decline to his business, but is great news for us vegetarians. the dishes still preserves the original ideals and can fool any meat-eaters. they are quite delicious and unique. the portions are quite small, but this allows you to sample more dishes. it is quite expensive, but i think is well worth it. the waitresses sometimes can be quite pushy, but looking past that, this is an overall excellent restaurant.

Very Special- I feel like an emperor :) - Edit

This is definitely a "Spectacular". The entrance is amazing, we took a few pictures. It is more than going out for dinner, it's like cultural experience too! A Must-try for sure!!!

We had several dishes and they all seemed pretty nice. One thing I'll recommend is their dessert. Ask for their recommendations, we had a bunch and we loved them!

As for location it is not far from the busiest shopping street, ZhongXiao East Rd., in Taipei.

Pros: yummy, setting , very different

Cons: a bit pricey

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has King Join closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2358 times since Jan 2008.