Kindred

Contact 619-546-9653

1503 30th St (at South Park District), San Diego, California, USA, 92102

A cocktail bar that serves brunch, bar snacks and vegan cheese, some meals, kombucha on tap, craft beer handles. Decor is French gothic inspired with skulls, demon wolf mascot, bare-chested shock rocker art. Plays psychedelic metal on the sound system. Est. Dec 2015. Open Mon-Fri 4:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by Mike Weinberg

loved this place! - Edit

I was nervous about the whole "psychedelic rock" music thing, worried that it would disrupt our enjoyment of the meal but it was not loud and the decor was so lovely that it totally worked. He decor was just perfect - see my pics. And of course most importantly, the food was killer. We splurged as we always do when doing a vegan food tour of any city we visit and got two appetizers: the seitan skewers and some buffalo seitan from their SECRET MENU! Okay, not so secret anymore - sorry! ;) The bartender was friendly and cool to tell us about it when he heard us mentioning wanting (vegan) wings. And we got the best risotto (okay just too many beets for my taste! Shoulda known from the name!) and I can't even remember what else...and then the cookie dough truffles. There were only 3 but they were a perfect ending to a fabulous meal. My only complaint is that they had like two white wines and two reds...or was it just one of each? I just know it wasn't enough. But if we lived in Sam Diego we'd be going here all the time. Loved loved loved Kindred!

Easy to Miss This Gem - Edit

In the days before the internet was a thing, we would not have known about this place. We are most pleased we planned ahead and included Kindred in our tour of vegetarian restaurants in San Diego. The decor/theme was unique. I think it is a heavy metal or fantasy thing they have going, and it works very well. As nice as the decor was, we really came for the food... The tofu benedict is what got our attention in the first place, but everything we ordered was delicious!

Vegan and fun - Edit

I wish I hadn't waited until the last day of my most recent San Diego trip to try Kindred. The whimsical decor, fabulous specialty drinks, and great food will bring my back next time.

The Wizard Bowl salad was one of the best salads I've had in ages. The Salt and Vinegar entree was good--especially the giant onion rings. The BBQ jackfruit sandwich was the best... though the homemade potato chips that come with it are serious grease bombs (and I couldn't stop eating them).

The open feel of the restaurant is really nice, and gives the feel of being in a real neighborhood hub. We we're there in the late afternoon, with people coming for drinks after work.

Don't miss the bathrooms, with their own soundtrack and cat decor. Awesome.

Pros: Great food, Fun ambiance, Reasonable prices

Yummy bar food - Edit

This is a great place to go with friends and even my non-vegan friends like it. My favorite dish is the Wizard Bowl, a salad with vegan blue cheese crumbles and tempeh. I also love the Deli Battle for sharing. Brunch on weekends is good too (I like the smoked carrots). Very cool and unique decor (although the two top tables are a bit small). The community table is great for bigger groups and the booths are nice too. They have a very creative cocktail menu. More of a bar with food than a restaurant with cocktails, but that makes it fun. It's nice to have an all vegan place that isn't focused on health foods.

Pros: Fun, All vegan, Unique

Cons: Small tables for two

will definitely be back - Edit

We hit Kindred up for supper and a drink late Saturday and loved it. The fried pickles were crisp and delicious and the buffalo cauliflower was tart and spicy- fantastic.
We also had the salt and vinegar entree plus the pistachio crusted tofu- it was so good!
The decor is super fun (fighting eyeballs in the wallpaper and space cat bathrooms?) and our waitress was perfect. Loved the whole evening.

Pros: great blend of flavors, fun decor, menu naming, stellar service

go - Edit

this is by far some of the best and more original vegan food out there. the food and atmosphere is amazing. the price point is low for the quality and quantity. everyone there was super friendly and happy. this place is winning.

Pros: all vegan

Neat Dishes for Dinner - Edit

It's neat to have a vegan bar--especially since it doesn't look obvious when you first walk in, so this might be a good way to get people expecting a regular bar to suddenly find themselves trying some vegan food. The food was really good, and the portion sizes were larger than I expected. The have the jackfruit BBQ sandwich, which tastes like real BBQ, and they have a fancy palm heart appetizer as well. They have good beers, though they were out of the one I wanted when I went. It was quite crowded (with a wide range of people, from young hipsters to people in their 60s), and even a party bus dropped off about 20 people, so I think this place will do very well.

Pros: Good food, Good beer, Nice ambiance

Cons: Rather loud, Ran out of one of the beers on the menu

too loud but great choice of amari - Edit

Heavy death metal. Really? Beautiful space and went on a Thursday, which is supposed to be more reasonable music, but encountered Loud environment. The bar is excellent. Many Italian amari available. Good service.

Pros: good service, good bar, lots of Amati

Cons: too loud

!!! - Edit

was in san diego for a day and decided to check them out. they just opened not too long ago yet the wait was an hour to get a table--- not a surprise at all. kombucha on tap was wonderful... cannot even explain how good the caeser salad was. also tried the skewer appetizer; not the biggest fan of mock meat but could totally eat this frequently. check this place out! you won't regret it!

Pros: amazing food, positive vibes, friendly staff

Winner!!! - Edit

My wife, Anita, and I dined at Kindred on its third night of being open with omnivorous neighbors. The decor was hip & upscale, and the place was 3/4 full, not bad for Monday about 5:30 pm—seemed like a Saturday night. It’s without doubt the closest thing to vegan fine dining in San Diego so far. Everyone enjoyed their meals; my cauliflower steak was exquisite. Kory, the owner, was a gracious, hands-on host, and actively solicited our feedback to see what could be improved. Winner!!!

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kindred closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.