American
Delivery
Take-out
European
Breakfast

Cocktail bar and restaurant that serves snacks and vegan cheese boards, savory plates, and weekend brunch. Example of food include jackfruit sandwich, french toast, tofu benedict, tacos, and curried fries. Beverages include mocktails, kombucha on tap, craft beer handles, cold brew coffee, and tea. Decor is French gothic inspired with skulls, demon wolf mascot, bare-chested shock rocker art. Plays psychedelic metal on the sound system. Large interior. Est. 2015. Call or walk-in for take-out. No reservations taken for dine-in. Open Mon-Wed 4:30pm-10:00pm, Thu 4:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 4:30pm-1:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:00pm, Sun 4:30pm-10:00pm. Kitchen stops 1hr before closing time.

Venue map for Kindred
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by Mike Weinberg

PritamBanerjee

Points +484

11 Feb 2024

Great food and ambience

The food here is awesome. They have some really innovative cocktails. They have patio sitting available and dogs are allowed in the patio.

maryjaneville

Points +32

07 Feb 2024

Spectacular food

The eggroll burger was amazing and my daughter said that the cold brew is the best she’s ever had!

k_robsss

Points +458

03 Jan 2024

Best vegan spot in San Diego

The best vegan restaurant in SD!! Amazing cocktails and the food is always delicious #Veganuary

JasonManias

Points +1319

31 Dec 2023

Incredible food, drinks, vibes

The perfect bar. Delicious food (I had cosmo knots and kefta skewers), drinks (tried the espresso martini, hot toddy), and fun vibes inside

Kirsses

Points +634

29 Dec 2023

Grilled Cheese Babyyy

Best grilled cheese I’ve ever had, and the caesar side salad was super good too. Really cool vibe but literally all of the seating feels various levels of cramped. #Veganuary

vegandinosaur

Points +315

26 Dec 2023

Come for the mocktails, stay for the food

Once I was in San Diego for a conference, and I went to Kindred three times in two days, dragging more attendees with me each time. I spent three years dreaming of their mocktails during COVID. Have been back twice since and the food is great, too.

Caralucy

Points +110

03 Dec 2023

Ooey, gooey comfort food

The location is in a quiet neighborhood. Parking is a little tight but once you get situated you’ll find yourself is a fun and funky, edgy establishment. The music is loud and off the beaten path for restaurants but fits in with the vibe. We arrived during brunch service. We all ordered a version of the Mind Melt and started with the fried potatoes. If you’re looking for health food, this is not the place but if you’re feeling naughty, this is the spot. The sandwich is toasted to perfection, crispy and crunchy on the outside creamy and gooey on the inside. The addition of thin apple slices is creative and perfect!

Pros: The food, Nice staff , Good vibe

Cons: The music was a little too loud for conversation

olivianthomas

Points +18

13 Nov 2023

Dinner visit

Amazing vibes and fun menu! I got the warlock, which was a greens and grains bowl with lychee, peanuts, and impossible meat. It was delicious, but the portion size felt a bit small! My friend loved the grilled cheese and tomato soup.

MzJaycee

Points +215

17 Sep 2023

Always a solid choice

Love love love Kindred, a staple in our community. I have a love hate relationship with the rotating menu. Always great options to the point that you miss them when equally delicious new items come in.

We love this place for date night and brunch. Top notch bar and mixologists. The vibe is a treat for all of your senses … really I suggest anyone ordering here be adventurous with their choices

Pros: Creative/unique dishes with solid flavor, The full bar is an experience in itself , I’ve found my people

Cons: Parking - take a Lyft , Highly in demand, not a con but expect to wait

RisBurton

18 Sep 2023

Wow! You eat a lot of food. How many items did I count? LOL

DalilaJuarez

Points +16

08 Sep 2023

Delicious Brunch

Visited during brunch on a Sunday. The food was delicious and the service was great. I Asked if I can just get a banana for my child by itself, no problem paying extra for it. They said no they cannot because the bananas are portioned out for their meals and they don’t have extra. Not an issue necessarily but seems like menu is specific

Pros: Food, Great Service

SMandi

Points +156

02 Sep 2023

Great drinks, fantastic food

This restaurant was recommended to me by a local. Happy to have given it a try. Had a reservation at 9:30 and showed up at 9p, still busy. Was seated timely at my reserved time. The food was excellent. Had the potato starters and the Mind Melt. One of the best grilled cheese I've had. Got the tomato soup on the side of course. The only thing about this place is that it's loud. Sometimes hard to hear if you're out with friends having a conversation. But I'd still go back for the amazing food.

AlejandraSanchez-Rios

Points +23

Mostly Veg
22 Aug 2023

Amazing vegan food and drinks

The egg roll burger is something else!

daveoz

Points +906

16 Jul 2023

Best place for brunch!

Their breakfast selections are absolutely amazing period not too much but very filling and absolutely thought out. Make sure you make a visit to the restroom, you will know what I mean when you do.

Updated from previous review on 2023-07-16

Pros: Vibe, Decor, Food combinations

Sphynxdani

Points +419

13 Jul 2023

Unique experience

The staff and the whole vibe of the restaurant were something every traveler and local need to experience. While the food wasn’t as incredible as the reviews made them out to be the drinks and vibe made up for it. Amazing staff and cool choices on the menu and make sure you go to the restrooms. They’re cool 🐈‍⬛
Cool merchandise if you need too

Pros: Vibe and deco of restaurant and restrooms , Cocktails , Staff

Cons: Menu can be confusing if not explained before hand

Coconutsux

Points +129

05 Jul 2023

Greeaaaaat

Went twice and both times did not disappoint. Amazing brunch and dinner.

AnjaliO

Points +256

24 Jun 2023

Yummy!! Highly recommend for all areas of food/beverage

Great variety, so flavorful (from the limited amount of food/drink we ordered) but would love to support again

mongoose10

Points +639

21 Jun 2023

Creative + unique

Can’t really compare it to anything which is a good thing! Came during brunch. Zero proof drinks were incredibly creative as was the food. We tried the Waffle House style potatoes and the congee - can’t wait to go back and try more. Sitting at the bar was also a treat - getting to watch all the action.

Pros: Creative, Unique, Zero proof drinks

Cons: The music is a specific taste :)

BanezaM

Points +534

09 Jun 2023

Fantastic Brunch Spot

I've been to Kindred for brunch twice. Both times were amazing. The decor, the staff and the food are all incredible. I'm a big fan of their biscuits, french toast Benedict dish. Can't wait to try the dinner menu soon.

Pros: Delicious food, Excellent staff, Exciting decor and ambience

SaraStrickler

Points +102

04 Jun 2023

Amazing cocktails and a fun vibe

Really fun and very cute spot. We sat at the bar and had great cocktails, really tasty food and a great conversation with the bartender. The people watching was good too. Definitely worth the wait on a busy night. We're looking forward to going back for brunch next time we're in SD

vegan.panda

Points +587

31 May 2023

10/10 for vegan cocktails + vibes + apps

Clever occult themed restaurant that’s upscale and creat for cocktails. I loved seeing the unique decor inside- including a whole beast head mounted on the wall! All the servers and bartenders were so cool too. They had just switched over menus so a lot was sold out when we went. I definitely recommend the mother of pearl cocktail and Chimichurri skewers. Our carbonara and crispy mushroom dish weren’t my favorite (a little too much lemon in both sauces for me).

LorraineGadsden

Points +6200

29 May 2023

great food, drinks & atmosphere

My boyfriend and I finally got to try Kindred in person, and it was a fun experience. We enjoyed our drinks and appetizers (especially the tofu skewers… I am still thinking about them this morning). I have had the food before and remember loving the grilled cheese as well. The staff was friendly and attentive. I am looking forward to trying their brunch soon!

Updated from previous review on 2023-03-17

natgabs

Points +184

28 May 2023

Speciality cocktails and amazing food

Kindred is unlike any place I’ve ever been too. I have never left here feeling disappointed. The food is always great and we got to try their new brunch menu. Definitely give this place a try!

Pros: All vegan, Staff is great , Drinks are well made

Kaseyfrench

Points +309

07 May 2023

Creative food, cute environment

They are about to close for a menu refresh and renovation, but I’m sure it will be even better! Great location and ambience with creative mixings of unexpected flavors.

ValeriaLavongsar

Points +20

03 May 2023

Delicious food and metal music?

Say less!
Our food and drinks were amazing ! Not only is the food good but the restaurant itself is gorgeous with classy gothic/occult details all over.
Enjoyed the grilled cheese patty melt while listening to Sleep’s Dragonaut! So cool!

EsraRice

Points +665

02 May 2023

Excellence

Never disappoints. The best vegan food in San Diego, imo. Their brunch and dinner are both fantastic, and cocktails are to die for.

frankier-c

Points +84

03 Apr 2023

Great atmosphere and amazing cocktails

The setting was really cool. We sat up at the bar, but didn't feel too watched or cramped. We got two cocktails and the tofu skewers, as everyone seemed to recommend them. I wish they could have been crispier and more bitesize, but that is just personal preference.

Pros: Cocktails were unique and tasty, Cool atmosphere , Friendly staff

Cons: Pretty expensive

ElissaBVegan

Points +2325

02 Apr 2023

Excellent Brunch!

Everything we had was superb!

Pros: 100% vegan , Excellent brunch food , Fun atmosphere