Kindness Cafe

• Friend

Shop 6 Republic 2 Courtyard, 248 Palmer St, Darlinghurst, New South Wales,

A modern vegan & vegetarian Thai food restaurant with a casual cafe setting and caters to the local crowd. Menu offers a variety of meat-less Thai dishes made vegan using fresh vegetables and tofu (no faux meat). BYO. Est. 2016. Open Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Thai, Take-out

First Review by Ezey11

Best Vegan Thai in Sydney - Edit

I love the Kindness Cafe. I have been 3 times and am always impressed. My favourite dish on the menu is the roti with curry sauce and the apple salad which is super spicy with fried crumbled tofu. It's delicious! Just have a beverage handy.
I also love the curries in particular the Red Curry! One recommendation I would give to patrons is not to ask for a certain level of spice. I opted for medium spice as I was with a friend who doesn't tolerate it like I do and it lowered the deliciousness of the dish for me. Let the chefs do their thing and you will be dazzled!

Pros: ALL VEGAN, Large menu, lots of options, Great location within the square

Kinda-nice - Edit

Based on reviews here I was looking forward to visiting the Kindness Café. I tried the mixed platter of starters...which were OK, nothing special and the fresh veg "Thai garden" stir fry which was exactly that. The service was polite and friendly but one word of warning - when I asked the waitress she said "everything" on the menu was vegan, yet some dishes clearly had egg in them. So choose with care !

Pros: Fresh and tasty

Cons: It's not "all vegan"

great food from uber eats! - Edit

We were on our first night in Sydney and didn't feel like going out so ordered this on uber eats. The red curry is awesome! Great Thai food!!

Also the mixed appertisers with spring rolls and corn fritters- yum!!!

Best Thai Ever! - Edit

My partner and I absolutely loved everything about Kindess Cafe. The food is absolutely delicious (I recommend the pad thai), the location is great and the staff and owner are absolutely lovely.

Pros: Amazing fresh food!, Lovely staff, Great location and nice place to sit and eat

A restaurant that matches its name - Edit

Urgh...dear oh dear, there're not enough kind words I can use to describe this restaurant. It's definitely a hidden gem and it should get more awareness than it is now!

We're a vegan couple so we made our effort to go give it a try.

Staff 5/5: I believe they're the owners of the cafe , super friendly and full of kindness as the restaurant name.

Food 5/5: We ordered three entrees, one main, a bowl of rice, and a mango sticky rice dessert. Yes, we were stuffed afterwards but every single dish were amazing!

Settings & Atmosphere 4.5/5: the missing 0.5 is because our table was too small for the amount of food we ordered lol.

One thing I'd like to highlight is the thoughtfulness, giving you a warm plate to serve? It melts my heart too!

Coming from an Asian country the food is a bit more to the sweet side to me, but my boyfriend enjoyed a lot. Definitely coming back!

Recommend dish: corn fritters!

Pros: kindness and thoughtfulness , hidden gem, Yum food

Cons: table a bit too small, no indoor sitting

Great vegan Thai food - Edit

We came here for dinner because it was conveniently close to where we were staying in Darlinghurst. The staff were very friendly and helped us choose dishes that were not too similar in flavour. The only non-vegan dishes were a couple with egg noodles that could have rice noodles substituted. We ended up getting the coconut lime tofu (stirfry)and the Drunk Noodles. I enjoyed the stirfry, which had a good variety of appetising vegetables and a sauce less sweet than some. My omnivorous companion thought it was very good. The noodles were nice too, flavoured with pepper berries. Prices of some items were slightly higher than at other Thai restaurants, but two mains and rice cost us under $20 each.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-17

Pros: Food good, Very friendly and helpful service, Central location

Cons: Some dishes priced slightly higher than average

Kindnesscafe 03 Jan 2017 - Hi Tiggy, Thank you kindly for your review. @ Kindness Cafe, we use the best quality products we can find or organic when we can. All our sauces are freshly made at the restaurant. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Stellar - Edit

There are mediocre, good, and brilliant veg restaurants. This one is outstanding. Its small, but its perfect. The food is divine. Tasty, but not heaps of oil. Spicy and interesting, with a good variety. The dishes are interesting, not something you are going to cook at home.
You can sit indoors or out. Its down a side street, so not too noisy. The staff are lovely.
This was a surprise discovery. In that week, we went there 3 times! Its simply the best, and now one of our favourite places.

Pros: Healthy tasty interesting well prepared food, Nice setting, Nice staff

Cons: Its not bargain basement prices, but are reasonabl

Kindnesscafe 03 Jan 2017 - Hi Stellar, Thank you kindly for your review. We hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

delicious high quality Thai food - Edit

delicious very fresh food. The staff were super lovely as well, and helped my friend (with a poor tolerance for spice) figure out which dishes were less spicy.serving sizes were okay for the price.The vegan roti is awesome!

Kindnesscafe 10 Nov 2016 - Hi HappyOtter, thank you kindly for your review. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Welcome addition - Edit

This place has been open for about three months, and it's great to have an all vegetarian (mostly vegan) restaurant in this part of Sydney. It's not the cheapest Thai food in town, but it is cooked to order and they use quality fresh ingredients. Cheaper at lunch time, 11.30 am to 3pm, when you can get stir fry or curry with steamed rice for $14.50, and noodles or fried rice for $14. It's in a pleasant courtyard of several eateries at the corner of Palmer Street and Kings Lane, which is right beside the junction of Palmer and Liverpool streets. The friendly waitress was quick to establish whether I was vegan, and assured me that there were only a few non-vegan items, such as egg noodles or ice coffee or ice tea with milk. The chilli basil stir fry was excellent; next time I'll try the drunk noodles.

Pros: friendly, and freshly cooked quality ingredients

Kindnesscafe 10 Nov 2016 - Hi Vgan, thank you kindly for your review. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Great atmosphere and food - Edit

Food is flavourful and delicious. The owners are really nice and accommodating. Bring your omni friends here, guarantee they won't miss the meat in these dishes.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Decently priced

Kindnesscafe 10 Nov 2016 - Hi Thirdeye, thank you kindly for your review. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Great food very friendly staff - Edit

Do yourself a favor and try this place out. very healthy food and great tasting options. kitchen closes at 9

Kindnesscafe 10 Nov 2016 - Hi HappystrongVegan, thank you kindly for your review. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Casual Thai Food - Edit

This place has many vegan options.
Curries are delicious with lots of fresh veggies and just the right amount of chilli.
The black sticky rice with coconut is a nice end to the meal, sweet sticky rice with a salty coconut milk.
Staff are friendly and accomodating.

Pros: Fresh produce

Kindnesscafe 10 Nov 2016 - Hi Ezey11, thank you kindly for your review. Hope to see you again soon. KC Darlinghurst

Return to Darlinghurst Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kindness Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.