Killer Vegan

Contact 908-964-8600

996 Stuyvesant Ave, Union, New Jersey, USA, 07083

Vegan restaurant opened Sept 2014 serving in-house made food from veggie burgers and subs to seitan sausages and gluten-free mac n cheese. Also makes smoothies, salads, baked goods, and soup of the day. All-you-can-eat brunch on 1st and 3rd Sunday of month 10am-2pm. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-4:00pm, Wed-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by LizDee

Proceed with caution - Edit

The food is fine. However, at the Sunday brunch, a man just fell through a chair and the owner didn't attend to it for several minutes. The chairs are fragile at best. Overhearing the ordeal, she didn't compensate him.

At the brunch, there is scrambled tofu, potatoes, kale, tempeh, sausages, rice, cashew gravey, scones/biscuits, french toast, and pancakes. The rice is sometimes quite salty. The french toast is either raw or burnt. However, the pancakes are always good, as well as the tempeh, and cashew gravey. The tofu isn't always the same in how soft and moist it tastes.

Pros: cashew gravey, tofu, pancakes

Cons: Owners lack of interest, burnt food, price

Awesome food! Okay service. - Edit

I'm in jersey and I stopped by here and it was awesome. I had the Mac and cheese, chicken panini with mashed potatoes and gravy , and a milkshake. My carnivore friend had the meatball sub and we both loved our food everything was bursting with flavor and the milkshakes were perfect. It is cash only and I wouldn't say the service was bad but there were two people there and they were just siting around the whole time. I was the only customer for almost an hour. They didn't come to my table. I got up to order, didn't get checked on during my meal. They instructed me to put my dishes in a pile of dirty dishes on a cart. And they didn't have any ice. I didn't mind, I'm not high maintenance but don't come here looking for awesome customer service. They were nice and the food was awesome.

Pros: delicious

Cons: no service , cash only

Awesome Meatball Sub - Edit

The bread is light and tasty. You wouldn't know you weren't eating real meatballs. A little spicy but I liked it so much while on business I went back two days later for another.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good portion

worth the trip! - Edit

my boyfriend and I travel over 20 miles to get here and it is worth every second. Their mac and cheese is wonderful and their disco fries trigger all the wonderful feelings disco fries should! Their homemade sausage is the best I've ever had! I will return again and again.

Pros: favorite Jersey snack foods veganized!

Cons: cash only so be prepared

cash only - Edit

Thought I'd eat here traveling north on the Garden State Parkway back to New York. Upon arriving I saw the cash only sign. Banks are closed and no ATM on site which means I'm back on the road not able to eat here. Too bad. I understand as a small business the decision not to take debit cards, but there are socially just and responsible data merchants for small businesses to consider.

this place was great! - Edit

I traveled a little bit of a ways to get here, but it was worth it! I got a panini (can't remember the name), which was very good. My boyfriend got the chicken and waffles.. Because you can't say no to vegan chicken and waffles. The only downside was that the portion was a little small, but it seemed like they were low on sides so it may have been less than usual. The milkshakes were fantastic! Definitely will try to make a brunch at some point.

Pros: milkshakes, changing specials menu, affordable

Cons: portions on the small side

Worth the trip! - Edit

Drove from Philly to meet a friend from NY for lunch. we were trying to find a halfway point with something vegan and this popped up. from start to finish everything was fabulous. I had the panini with fries, mac n cheese and chocolate/vanilla swirl soft serve for dessert. I could have stayed for another meal! Very clean and tidy. Also plenty of space unlike many vegan cafes. The staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful. This will be our new meeting spot from now on!

Pros: All vegan menu including desserts. Free on street

Killer Food, not so Killer Logo - Edit

Being a herbivore married to a vegan I can often times be skeptical regarding dining locations. This one in particular was high on the skeptical list upon seeing the Bunny wielding a Carrot in a stabbing motion. And the poor choice of font depicting "The Killer Vegan".

Anyway I got the KV Panini. Oh mercy was it fantastic! Total perfection. Every bit was delicious. The Mac and Cheese too was amazing without any hint of strange after taste.

A++++

One-of-a-kind - Edit

So glad this place opened up a year ago. I've been looking for a vegan place for the longest time in Jersey and KV is AMAZING. I can't stop ordering the panini. The milkshakes are delicious and the cookies & cream cake is my favorite! I usually go a few times a week, I just can't help myself. Try this place. Non-vegans will love it, too. My friend refused to try it as he assumed vegan food is "disgusting" and after I finally convinced him to go, he is in love and asks me to go with him all the time.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great vibe and music, Delicious food

oh...my...god. - Edit

This is top 3 vegan places that I've ever been to. Try the "killer vegan panini", so good. I will be back as often as possible.

Pros: great service, great food, the cake...boom

Cons: parking, but that's to be expected in NJ

Good food.. if they didn't run out of it - Edit

We've been coming here for a while and love the owner, the food, and the fact that it's all vegan. We especially love the Sunday brunch since there's no vegan buffets we've found around here. Everything tastes like the real thing (meats, cheeses, eggs). My only complaint was the price but we were willing to pay more for awesome food. However, during our last visit for brunch, they ran out of bacon, rice, and orange juice. We were really disappointed, as there aren't many options to begin with. Oh and it's $24/person which is a little on the high side and a cash only establishment.

Pros: Tasty all vegan food with lots of options , Friendly staff and owner, Brunch on Sundays

Cons: Expensive, Brunch food runs out if you go late

I'm with Cory* - Edit

Scrumptious, decadent, indulgent vegan eats in my home state. If you just look at the menu and drool, as I did, when you actually eat, it will more than satisfy. Everything from the seitan cutlets to neatballs to patties are made from scratch in house, as are the desserts. The punky-yet-kitschy atmosphere is great, too.
*Cory Booker visited a few days after me. He raved.

Pros: food quality, atmosphere, downtown location

Cons: rich food is "sometimes" food for me

Don't get killed by killer vegan - Edit

Total rip off. It seemed like food was prepackaged and just warmed up. Ordered killer burger - too salty, tasteless, and came with no salads or sides. Exorbitant prices. You are better off buying a vegan pattie at grocery store and slapping that on a bun. Very disappointed.

Pros: None

Cons: Very expensive for"packaged food), Tasteless , Small serving with no accompanyingsalad

Great Lunch Bad Brunch - Edit

Killer Vegan Has a delicious choice of sandwiches and their Kale Slaw is to die for!! ;) However their hours are pretty short and if you cannot get there for lunch there is almost no way you will be able to pick up dinner on your way home from work. With that said they have brunch twice a month and I was super excited to try it but when I got there it fell short. I found that their tofu scramble was nothing more then tofu nutritional yeast and turmeric. Their kale was inedible and the tempeh bacon was more like a tempeh cracker it was so dry and stale. With that said it is a great place for lunch if you happen to make it on time.

Pros: Lunch is Great, Kale Slaw is mouthwatering

Cons: Not enough hours in their day, Brunch needs some improvements

We liked it - Edit

We went for the first time today. We ordered two different sandwiches, and third in a deconstructed form to reheat for our son later in the day. They were all good, and we will certainly be back to try the brunch.

Pros: friendly staff, easy parking, good food

Killer without any killing! - Edit

Hooray! There is a new vegan place in North Jersey and I happily tried it out today. I was greeted by a fabulous woman who chatted with me while I waited for my to-go food to be ready.

I ordered the Brussels sprouts and the Mac & Cheeze. The sprouts - holy cow(less)! Amazing! Little balls of tastiness. They were tiny and perfectly seasoned and roasted.

The Mac & Cheeze was just what I wanted on a cold rainy day. It was cheezy and smoky and oh-so-good!

I also got a milkshake because how can I resist ordering a one when given the opportunity? They were out of a lot of flavors due to tonight being the first night of Hanukkah. Their supplier is a kosher joint in Brooklyn. I asked for a recommendation and I went for something I wouldn't normally order. Whoa! Cherry vanilla shake for the win!

I wish this place well. There is a shortage of vegan restaurants in Jersey on the whole, and this place seems to be run by some cool folks. Give it a try if you're in the area.

Pros: ALL VEGAN!, Yummy food & shakes, Great location

The price of Candle 79, the quality of Ponderosa - Edit

I was so excited to hear about a new vegan restaurant in New Jersey. With little info on their website or Facebook, my wife and I decided to give it a try for brunch. When we arrived at 1PM, for a 2PM closing, we were told we were late and that they ran out of some food but would be replenishing what they could. I got the last of the tempeh, the last of the tofu scramble, a biscuit, and a pancake. My wife got the last of the kale and the last of the french toast (one piece). The kale tasted like it was raw, the french toast tasted stale. And the replenishing of the food? It was literally two biscuits and two pancakes even though they clearly had more in the back. I laughed it out the whole time as I would watch each disappointed person walk up to the buffet and see nothing there, or when two guys realized at the same time there was only one biscuit. It was all pretty silly until we went to pay the price of $22.50 plus tax a person. This was straight up gouging and pricing people out of veganism. They turned some customers away near the end, who presumably went to buy animal products somewhere down the road.

Pros: A new vegan restaurant!, It's new!, It's vegan!

Cons: Doesn't actually have much food..., More expensive than our utility bills..., Also out of utensils and napkins...

LOVE KILLER VEGAN - Edit

I love Killer Vegan! I like everything I've tried on the menu (which is pretty much everything aside from the smoothies and milkshakes), although the standouts to me are the soup of the day, the sausage and peppers, the chickpea salad melt, and every. single. dessert. I work nearby, and it's not uncommon for me to go there for lunch multiple times a week. It's so so good!!!

Oh, and the brunch? Don't even get me started. The BEST pancakes, vegan or non, I have ever tasted.

Pros: 100% vegan, organic, comfort food

Cons: Brunch not every Sunday! 1st & 3rd/month

Return to Union Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Killer Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.