Killer Vegan

908-964-8600

996 Stuyvesant Ave, Union, New Jersey, USA, 07083

Vegan restaurant opened Sept 2014 serving in-house made food from veggie burgers and subs to seitan sausages and gluten-free mac n cheese. Also makes smoothies, salads, baked goods, and soup of the day. All-you-can-eat brunch on 1st and 3rd Sunday of month 10am-2pm. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-4:00pm, Wed-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by LizDee

Vegan Diner Food - Edit

The taste is there specifically if you like quality diner food. I like the fact that much of what is offered comes from an in house recipe which speaks to their creativity. Although good, the food is OVERPRICED especially for what is offered, reminiscent of NYC vegan cafes. For example I paid 7.00 for a pizza that was cardboard thin (no toppings) and was the size of a tea saucer (I felt like I was conned when the guy handed it to me). The sides are excessively priced as well, I think they could diversify their side dish offerings to control cost (but that's none of my business). For a restaurant with bare bones decor and disinterested customer service I would expect to pay for less. Oh and the CASH ONLY policy has cut down on my trips there by half (I hate carrying cash) which is positive because it helps me save money but I cannot imagine how that impacts business. I'm not really concerned about their bottom line more than I am with the fact that I want to see a vegan restaurant in the area SURVIVE.

Pros: taste, creativity, location

Cons: price, lack of transparency , lack of diversity in menu offerings

Excellent Casual Food - Edit

Never had a bad meal here. Save room for dessert, because the cakes and other fare are always excellent!

Pros: Excellent food, Kind staff, Great cakes

Cons: Cash only

not impressed - Edit

Been here a handful of times because I am a vegan that lives in town so I wanted to like it. Atmosphere isn't warm, kind of feels like a cardboard cutout. I definitely enjoyed their cakes, but food is just ok.
Overpriced. And that whole "upgrade your sides for four dollars" thing is annoying. Cash only- What kind of business in 2017 does not accept card? I get it's a start up, but be prepared and professional. This is a poor excuse of a vegan restaurant, truly disappointed.

Very appetizing and filling - Edit

Had the Killer sandwich which has two vegan patties over the homemade cheese. That sandwich is very filling. Also had the cherry milkshake, possibly one of the greatest vegan shakes I've ever had. Place is cash only.

Proceed with caution - Edit

The food is fine. However, at the Sunday brunch, a man just fell through a chair and the owner didn't attend to it for several minutes. The chairs are fragile at best. Overhearing the ordeal, she didn't compensate him.

At the brunch, there is scrambled tofu, potatoes, kale, tempeh, sausages, rice, cashew gravey, scones/biscuits, french toast, and pancakes. The rice is sometimes quite salty. The french toast is either raw or burnt. However, the pancakes are always good, as well as the tempeh, and cashew gravey. The tofu isn't always the same in how soft and moist it tastes.

Pros: cashew gravey, tofu, pancakes

Cons: Owners lack of interest, burnt food, price

Great food in NJ - Edit

it is a nice place...with great tasting food.

Awesome food! Okay service. - Edit

I'm in jersey and I stopped by here and it was awesome. I had the Mac and cheese, chicken panini with mashed potatoes and gravy , and a milkshake. My carnivore friend had the meatball sub and we both loved our food everything was bursting with flavor and the milkshakes were perfect. It is cash only and I wouldn't say the service was bad but there were two people there and they were just siting around the whole time. I was the only customer for almost an hour. They didn't come to my table. I got up to order, didn't get checked on during my meal. They instructed me to put my dishes in a pile of dirty dishes on a cart. And they didn't have any ice. I didn't mind, I'm not high maintenance but don't come here looking for awesome customer service. They were nice and the food was awesome.

Pros: delicious

Cons: no service , cash only

Awesome Meatball Sub - Edit

The bread is light and tasty. You wouldn't know you weren't eating real meatballs. A little spicy but I liked it so much while on business I went back two days later for another.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good portion

worth the trip! - Edit

my boyfriend and I travel over 20 miles to get here and it is worth every second. Their mac and cheese is wonderful and their disco fries trigger all the wonderful feelings disco fries should! Their homemade sausage is the best I've ever had! I will return again and again.

Pros: favorite Jersey snack foods veganized!

Cons: cash only so be prepared

cash only - Edit

Thought I'd eat here traveling north on the Garden State Parkway back to New York. Upon arriving I saw the cash only sign. Banks are closed and no ATM on site which means I'm back on the road not able to eat here. Too bad. I understand as a small business the decision not to take debit cards, but there are socially just and responsible data merchants for small businesses to consider.

this place was great! - Edit

I traveled a little bit of a ways to get here, but it was worth it! I got a panini (can't remember the name), which was very good. My boyfriend got the chicken and waffles.. Because you can't say no to vegan chicken and waffles. The only downside was that the portion was a little small, but it seemed like they were low on sides so it may have been less than usual. The milkshakes were fantastic! Definitely will try to make a brunch at some point.

Pros: milkshakes, changing specials menu, affordable

Cons: portions on the small side

Worth the trip! - Edit

Drove from Philly to meet a friend from NY for lunch. we were trying to find a halfway point with something vegan and this popped up. from start to finish everything was fabulous. I had the panini with fries, mac n cheese and chocolate/vanilla swirl soft serve for dessert. I could have stayed for another meal! Very clean and tidy. Also plenty of space unlike many vegan cafes. The staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful. This will be our new meeting spot from now on!

Pros: All vegan menu including desserts. Free on street

Killer Food, not so Killer Logo - Edit

Being a herbivore married to a vegan I can often times be skeptical regarding dining locations. This one in particular was high on the skeptical list upon seeing the Bunny wielding a Carrot in a stabbing motion. And the poor choice of font depicting "The Killer Vegan".

Anyway I got the KV Panini. Oh mercy was it fantastic! Total perfection. Every bit was delicious. The Mac and Cheese too was amazing without any hint of strange after taste.

A++++

One-of-a-kind - Edit

So glad this place opened up a year ago. I've been looking for a vegan place for the longest time in Jersey and KV is AMAZING. I can't stop ordering the panini. The milkshakes are delicious and the cookies & cream cake is my favorite! I usually go a few times a week, I just can't help myself. Try this place. Non-vegans will love it, too. My friend refused to try it as he assumed vegan food is "disgusting" and after I finally convinced him to go, he is in love and asks me to go with him all the time.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great vibe and music, Delicious food

oh...my...god. - Edit

This is top 3 vegan places that I've ever been to. Try the "killer vegan panini", so good. I will be back as often as possible.

Pros: great service, great food, the cake...boom

Cons: parking, but that's to be expected in NJ

Good food.. if they didn't run out of it - Edit

We've been coming here for a while and love the owner, the food, and the fact that it's all vegan. We especially love the Sunday brunch since there's no vegan buffets we've found around here. Everything tastes like the real thing (meats, cheeses, eggs). My only complaint was the price but we were willing to pay more for awesome food. However, during our last visit for brunch, they ran out of bacon, rice, and orange juice. We were really disappointed, as there aren't many options to begin with. Oh and it's $24/person which is a little on the high side and a cash only establishment.

Pros: Tasty all vegan food with lots of options , Friendly staff and owner, Brunch on Sundays

Cons: Expensive, Brunch food runs out if you go late

Killer Vegan Review - Edit

I went here and I loved it. I had vegan mac n cheese with vegan mashed potatoes. Afterwords, I had a vegan smoothie with lots of fruit mixed in! They served us very quickly, and the pricing wasn't bad at all. I would definitely go again.

I'm with Cory* - Edit

Scrumptious, decadent, indulgent vegan eats in my home state. If you just look at the menu and drool, as I did, when you actually eat, it will more than satisfy. Everything from the seitan cutlets to neatballs to patties are made from scratch in house, as are the desserts. The punky-yet-kitschy atmosphere is great, too.
*Cory Booker visited a few days after me. He raved.

Pros: food quality, atmosphere, downtown location

Cons: rich food is "sometimes" food for me

Return to Union Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Killer Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.