Khouadin Vegetarian

• Vegan

Aka Kwadin Restaurant. Offers an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet of vegan Laotian food (no a la carte): rice, noodles, soup, steam buns, a variety of vegetables and faux meat dishes (10 or so). Could get individual items to take away from the buffet. For a larger variety, it's best to arrive after 10am. Directions: exit Khua Din bus station onto Rue Nongbone, turn right and walk for 100m, pass a basket shop on the second corner, turn right, entering an alley that leads into Khua Din Market, walk for 50m, and restaurant is on the left next to a motorbike parking lot; it's on the alley that leads off of Rue Nongbone. If still not sure where it is, ask for "kin jay" (eat vegetarian).

Category: Vegan, Buffet, Take-out, Laotian

First Review by enRoute

great surprise - Edit

Was mystically guided to this place. Could be really hard to find. Its on a street by Talat Sau. Go past the eye glass store bldg., turn right. 100yds.
It was clean spacious, staff very friendly.I got there this morning at 10:30am. Food was not warm but was no problem. About 8 or 10 food dishes buffet style. Lao food. Very yummy. Didn't see any foe meat just several tofu types. I will definitely go back. 25,000 kip for all you can eat.

Pros: tasty food, Clean good variety, right price

Cons: hard to find, maybe spicey for some

delicious buffet - Edit

Our VegVoyages group had breakfast before the restaurant opened to the public and we had so many choices. I hope everyone going has the same choices. And the posted price on the wall was very reasonable. The food was delicious and the staff was great. There's a small market area in front of the restaurant too. Definitely check them out while in the market area. Good food for an even better price.

Pros: all vegan, delicious buffet

Tasty and cheap - Edit

Was there with my wife and two non-veg friends, and for 15k kip/person (about $2 or 60 baht) it has a lot to offer. Unfortunately, all the soups were cold (as is often the case in buffets), but unlimited rice and wide selection of vegetable and mock meat dishes, both spicy and not, were more than enough to satisfy everyone.

Location near bus station makes it a great place to try Lao food for the first time.

Pros: Lots of food, Cheap, Tasty

Cons: No soup (unless you like it cold)

Delicious asian food - Edit

I like this place: simple design and big choice of different vegetarian dishes. They have soups, curry, etc. and you pay one price to eat them all. And yes, better come before noon - after food will not so hot (but still very tasty for me).
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 09, 2015

Pros: Big choice, Good price, Friendly staff

Cons: Not so easy to find, but follow your GPS

I liked it - Edit

I really liked the place. I arrived just when it opened so there were a lot of options and the food was still hot. The dishes were simple but really tasty and fresh, and there was a lot to choose from. It's too bad its opening hours are so short.

They have indoor and outdoor seating area.

P.S. There is a copycat (?) restaurant right across from this one.

Pros: Tasty food, Clean place, Nice seating area, Cheap

Decent food - nothing to write home about - Edit

Same same buffet style food. Reached there before 10 and most food were already lukewarm. Couple of steaming hot items were added while I was there.

Found enough to eat since there was a good percentage of vegetables in the dishes. However, this tendency of placing mock meat, which while liked by many Westerners, places me in a not so pleasant situation of picking them out from my food. A few items had relatively low mock meat but it seemed liked that almost all the 10 or so items had some form of mock meat.

I have decided to eat nuts and fruits instead in future.

But for others it does offer a good value at 25Kks.

Pros: vegetables, price, convenient location (follow directions)

Cons: mock meat, lukewarm, bland taste

not clean and cold after 1pm - Edit

My husband and I both got sick after visiting this place:-(
Food was cold and not clean enough. Very reasonable price but I would not risk to get sick again.

Pros: cheap, all you can eat

Cons: cold after 1pm, not clean

A nice place - Edit

A clean and cozy restaurant with several outside tables surrounded by plants. The food was tasty and totally worth 25 000 kip. Compared with other places in Vientiane, this one stands out in a good way. The only thing that some might not like is that most dishes are lukewarm.

Pros: tasty, good value

Really Great Local Place - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised with this little hard to find place. There was a nice selection of dishes, though some were good and some were average. Overall, the food was definitely good, but not amazing. A lot of the food was no longer warm at 12pm-ish, so that might have had an effect. The new dish they brought out while we were there was real good. There was also an interesting coconut veg soup and a sweet corn soup/dessert, both which were different to anything I've tried and good. The staff were really friendly, they had free cold water and lots of food! Plus it was a good price for 25000 kip.

Pros: Selection, Price, Taste

good, cheap buffet - Edit

Read peace-fulls excellent directions if you are planning to go here as it might otherwise be hard to find. We got here early as it seems most lunch buffets in Vientiane get worse the later you arrive. Food was pretty good. Food was cold although I saw a micro wave oven (which was blocked by plates, though). 25000 seems to be the going rate for a vegan buffet in Vientiane and I thought this was the best buffet we had while in town.

Pros: cheap, vegan

Cons: food cold

Arrive early! - Edit

Went here today, thanks for the amazing directions, made it very easy to find even in the chaos of the area!
I made the mistake of not arriving until 1pm so the dishes were almost finished and a bit cold, but sure it's great if you arrive a bit earlier.

I love this place - Edit

Being vegetarian for over 20 years I wasn't able to eat any authentic Lao dishes. None of the Laotians in my area knew how to accommodate vegetarians. Even Lao Salad usually has meat in it. Khuadin Vegetarian made it possible again for me to eat authentic Lao food without eating meat. When visiting Laos I go to the restaurant everyday. I wish they could deliver to the USA.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 02, 2013

Pros: very affordable, very tasty, friendly

Cons: not close enough to my home

Great Laotian buffet - Edit

A lovely vegan buffet. They have lots of different vegetable dishes as well as mock meats. It was great to experience vegan versions of typical lao dishes - pancakes and laap. One dish had a rather strange taste (for me) - I think it must have been very authentic. I recommend taking small amounts of everything at first and then going back for more of what you like.

The restaurant itself is a serene oasis in busy area. The workers are very friendly and all the other customers were locals when I was there. It's great value at 25,000 kip.

Pros: Lao specialities, Locals eat here, Serene atmosphere

Perfect lunchtime snack - Edit

Followed the directions in the reviews and easily found this place. Great filling lunch, and allowed us to recharge between looking at the market. Buffet lunch was 20,000 Kip, and the pleasant and cheerful owner let us fill up our water bottles for free.

Variety of mock meat dishes, each with distinct flavour. Would go back again.

Pros: Cheap, Good food and flavour, Clean

Cons: No menu, Little English spoken

Good Traditional Food - Edit

The review above is totally correct. This is a rest. not a food stall in the market. There is a red and yellow sign above it saying veg.food in English. The place is clean,the owner speaks some English and the food is good. No MSG. Way better than going to the food stall at the market esp. for the price,quantity,and quality . Worth the effort to locate.

Pros: Tasty, traditional, friendly

Cons: none

clarifying info - Edit

there seems to be some confusion about which restaurant/stall we are talking about and how to get there.
We found both places on December 2010.
to get to KWADIN restaurant:
Exit Khua Din Bus station onto Rue Nongbone, turn right and walk for about 100 mts. You will go past a basket shop on the second corner, turn right, entering an alley that leads into Khua Din Market. Walk for about 50 mts. The restaurant is on the left side, next to a motorbike parking lot.

Open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Saturday

No a la carte, All you can eat buffet for 20.000 kip
Take away available.

There are at least 15 dishes to chose from, a lot of them containing some kind of fake meat or tofu and vegetables, There are also few salads, noodles and steam rice.
Welcoming staff, No english spoken although it isn't necessary.
Recommended.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, many choices

Cons: small place

Re: 18th Feb 2010 =) - Edit

The food there is good, and my favourite is the dessert with corn and coconut milk (although I prefer the corn naked with the coconut milk dressing) =) The place is right within Talat Khua Din, which is 5mins' walk from Talat Sao. The place is quite obscure, though.. It took me quite a while to find it. It is just beside a motorbike repair/sale workshop.

Pros: good dessert, hygienic-looking food, economical pricing

Cons: obscure location

Fantastic buffet, but it's not a food stall - Edit

There's some confusion about this... the restaurant that's described in the directions is called Khouadin Vegetarian, and is exactly where it says... on the far side of the market, across the street, down the small street where the other market is. There's a sign right at the entrance saying "Vegetarian Food 100m".

Absolutely superb buffet, friendly vegetarian owners, spotlessly clean, air-conditioned. Highly recommended!

The food stall that the reviewer describes is actually IN the morning market and is a different place entirely.

Pros: incredible variety, cheap, friendly

Cons: hard to find

Return to Vientiane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Khouadin Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3765 times since Aug 2007.