First Review by fitzenz

Get the Almond Hempburger - Edit

I got the restaurant just before closing, so I didn't stay to eat there and look around. The place looked interesting. There is a little shop to buy books and dvds about RAW food. I ordered the Almond Hempburger, cashew cheesecake, and the hemp, spinish pineapple, ginger juice. I really liked the Almond burger, Second liked the cashew cheesecake and third the juice. All good food.

Pros: raw, wonderful use of spices

very tasty and truly vegan - Edit

I had to take an Uber rideshare across town and finally arrived in the traffic. I had the sampler platter for $15 and highly recommend it. It was a nice portion of everything that they have. It was really tasty and the dishes were novel and truly vegan. The only thing I suggested to them was that there coldpressed juices should be non-sugary without fruit. That they need a pure green coldpressed juice. The purists like me prefer it LOL

Cons: everything was a little bit too oily for my prefer

Khepra's is MAGIC - Edit

Every once in a while, I go on a raw food kick. When that happens, I get myself over to Khepra's. The food here is AMAZING and very filling. For $15 I can get an entree with samples of all their sides ... It's enough food for two meals.

Today I had the wrap which came with avocado, their hemp burger, cashew cheese, and spinach. It had a little kick to it ... YUM. I also got alllllll their sides: the jerk eggplant is HOT (very yummy); the creamy collards have a great mouthfeel and are simply delicious; the buffalo cauliflower is very flavorful and you honestly can't event tell that it's raw; the hummus spread I could put on anything; the curry cabbage looks like slaw but the curry flavor is bomb ... I could go on and on.

If you have a sweet tooth, get a juice or one of their raw desserts. The mango cheesecake tonight was wonderful; the serving was so large that I could only eat 1/2 of it. Luckily everything is put in to-go boxes! I have lunch or dinner for tomorrow :)

Another note: support this business because they do so much for the surrounding community. They're really trying to educate people about the benefits of (raw) veganism & keep them healthy. I'm allllll about this.

Pros: fresh ingredients, wonderful use of spices , portions are HUGE

Cons: kinda pricey

Happy it was nearby - Edit

I used to live in D.C. but didn't know this area. On a visit last year, I happened to be staying down the street and had been getting into raw food. My boyfriend and I split a "large," which involved an entree plus every side for $15. We were both very full, so it was a great deal. I loved getting to try a bunch of dishes. There was only one I didn't like (something with seaweed). It's mostly a place for taking food out, I think.

Best Raw Vegan Place In D.C. - Edit

What can I say about this place. The food was top-notch plus I some more excellent information on a raw foods diet (I'm vegan). Great service with a laid-back atmosphere. I've been following the owner of this wonderful establishment online for many years & I just want to say thank you for my new staple when I visit D.C.

Pros: EVERYTHING

Cons: Needs to open up in Charlotte, NC & Philly

khepra: favorite vegan spot in dc - Edit

this raw restaurant is yummy. it's hard to believe that some of this stuff is raw -i.e., vegan and gluten free. it's cafeteria style. everything's already prepared which means orders are quickly filled. depending on who serves you, service is cool and pleasant enough. i.e., service could be more enthusiastic. all good though. the "large entree" with nine sides is a lot of food for the money. at other raw restaurants, I'd pay at least twice as much for similar quantity and less taste and variety. the nine sides have varying flavors and textures -sweet, sour, salty, spicy and crunchy, soft, chewy. both the hemp burger and crab cakes are yummy. I prefer the hemp burger and it's more filling. for cheesecake beats the cookies. I wouldn't get the chia cookie again. having nine different sides means that you can eat here regularly and vary the experience.

the blaring tv misaligns with the spirit of what khepra seems to embody.

holy cow! I'm so stuffed. don't know that I've ever said that after dining in a raw restaurant.

Pros: raw, value, tasty

Cons: wish it was organic, parking, service could be warmer

Excellent and unique - Edit

Phenomenally delicious, healthy, raw, flavorful food. It's easy and fast - you order at the food bar and only have to wait a few minutes if they are preparing something not fully made (like the insanely delicious sushi!)

Delicious and healthy - Edit

Excellent raw food. I've tried a lot of Khepra's dishes and they are all awesome, my favorite are the "fried" plantains, cauliflower nuggets and chia pudding. I've also tried a green juice. Khepra is also the sponsor for the DC Raw meet-up so he leads a lot of events and private raw/juice classes.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 31, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Nice vibe, Great products

Cons: Runs out of the popular dishes sometimes

Fresh and filling - Edit

Anyone who says raw food is just salad is confused about good raw food and stuff from the produce aisle. This place is capable of creating delicious and flavorful food, so delicious you won't even remember it's raw.

What's awesome is that you can order all their sides with an entree (so the entree is then about 1/6 of the food) for $15. That's 7 sides, I guess, depending on when you go. So, how could I pass that up?! Plaintains with sun-dried tomatoes, spiced broccoli, red cabbage slaw, creamy collards, pomegranate kale, seaweed salad (awesome), and wild rice salad. For my entree - nori/ seaweed avocado rolls. Sometimes raw food is too nut heavy, but their food is not like that. The veggies are fresh and the blend of flavors just right.

The only caveats I have are that they ran out of dessert, the juice drinks were a bit too pricey for my taste but sounded wonderful (cactus tangerine or apple ginger kale for $7sm/$9lg), the food might be a bit too oily for my preference and the food is served in bio-plastic.

You can also just order all the sides for $12/$15 depending on how much you want. I am glad they have options to have so many of them together. The a la carte is $8 for each one - and that's a lot of cash to just try them. I think they knew this, and so created the sampler platters!

They are connected to a health/wellness center, so there isn't the best eating ambiance. There are a few counter/ window high bar stool style seats. In the center, there were tables, but I felt they were not for Khepra's. A great place to get food to go.

However, the fact that they are a veg place and have such wonderful flavorful raw food, I would not hesitate to go back! A little bit too much oil won't kill me, and I want to try the dessert!!!

Pros: Fresh fresh fresh, Awesome flavor wo salt overdose, Selection

Cons: Oily, Ran out of dessert, Price

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Khepra Raw Food Juice Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4901 times since Nov 2012.