Khai Minh 2

Contact 0949695959

105B Ngo Quyen, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Second Khai Minh restaurant. Emphasis is on food made with heirloom red rice including pancakes, noodles, teas, desserts, and crackers. No added sugar or MSG. Also sells macrobiotic packaged food and books. English menu. Has Wi-Fi. Previously located at 29 Ngo Quyen. Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by little.thu

Good variety to choose from - Edit

I only went here for a snack, but was impressed by the range - lots of different dishes, almost all of them for 30,000 or less and all vegan. I ordered two tiny, rice-based banana cakes and a tea - only 16,000!

Delivers on its promise - Edit

Uncomplicated, healthy macrobiotic food. Quality seems good and all well prepared.

We had sushi, Pho, Breadfruit (especially tasty) and sautéed vegetables.

Good value - all dishes are $1.00-$1.50 each.

Menu now also in English (some older reviews imply it didn't used to be).

Pretty easy to find - right at the intersection and a big sign facing the road. $2 in a taxi from our hotel.

Staff helpful, although limited English when we went - point and smile worked just fine.

Had a better experience at Khai Minh 1 - Edit

Maybe it's because I was really hungry by the time I arrived at Khai Minh 2, but my experience on the whole was quite underwhelming. It took a while for anyone to notice I was there and they were all out of My Quang and the other noodle dishes, which was quite disappointing. So the waitress suggested I get one of the rice dish sets....I was highly disappointed - the portion sizes were so small and rather bland (see pic uploaded). It's probably because I am not used to the principles of the Oshawa (I think that's what it was called?) diet these lunch sets follow, but nevertheless I wasn't too impressed. I really love Khai Minh 1 in Binh Tanh district and had much more favourable experiences there, so probably won't be going back to Khai Minh 2.

Pros: Macrobiotic, Sells products too, Inexpensive

Cons: Most menu items weren't available , Rice lunch sets - small portions

Mostly Vegetarian

Contributions +12

A real cut above any vegan restaurant in Saigon - Edit

Quan Luc Khai Minh knows what hollistic means.

Super healthy, food as a medicine.
No sugar/MSG/additives.
100% organic food.
Super friendly.
Family-run, homemade.
Cheap. (1-2$/meal, 0.5$ for tea kettle of cereal milk (worth a try)).

There's simply no other places like it that I can think of in Vietnam. Come and try the macrobiotic diet. We are what we eat !

This is the first of two shops, it is (very) slightly more expensive than the one in Binh thanh (http://www.happycow.net/reviews/khai-minh-1-ho-chi-minh-city-43825) but the decoration is nicer. The owner is fluent English, which is also a plus !

Pros: Super friendly, Healthy cheap and delicious, Fluent english if owner is here

Cons: Might be a bit hard to spot

Unique spot outside of the center - Edit

A bit of a trek to get to, but the map is accurate and it's possible to walk from the center (around 30 minutes). They pride themselves on healthy, organic, macrobiotic selections. Menu is in Viet but the owner is patient and very happy to see foreigners. Try their pho; very different from the norm, with caramelized onions, and dark, whole noodles. They also sell tasty whole-grain rice snacks and other macro supplies.

Opens at 6 a.m. every day, the neighborhood is great to wander through in the early morning before it gets too hectic. When I was there, they were playing selections from Khanh Ly's Sonca albums, which made the pleasant atmosphere even nicer.

Pros: Macrobiotic, Friendly, Cheap

Cons: No English on menu, Far from center, A bit bland by design

Macrobiotic food - Edit

Same menu with Khai Minh 1. They're brothers.
The restaurant is in the corner of Ngo Quyen-Dao Duy Tu street, dist.10. They can deliver to you, but you have to pay the xe om's charge.

Pros: cheap, delicious, healthy, delivery

Cons: time-consuming because the food will, be prepared when you order.

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Khai Minh 2 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1423 times since Dec 2013.