Kerbey Lane Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 512-451-1436

3704 Kerbey Ln, Austin, Texas, USA, 78731

Serves meat, vegan options available. Extensive menu with around 50% being vegetarian dishes. Opens til late. Note the other location at HWY 183 is open 24 hours.

Category: International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by beatsutra

YUM! - Edit

This place is hands down the best option for a family like mine who range from meat-a-holic to vegan (me). Plenty of options for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike...and the food is AWESOME! We have been three times this week already on our visit here and have had amazing food and service each time!

uh oh... - Edit

Tonight in my vegan meal I found several pieces of actual bacon! The server had assured us that the collard greens were vegan, had even gone to the back to ask. So there I was, happily munching away, and I was like, "What is that taste?" (I have been a vegan for 8 years and wasn't even sure what I was tasting.) And then I realized I had several pieces of pig on my plate and one in my mouth! The server seemed mildly apologetic -- obviously she didn't get the severity of the error -- but then the manager came out and was very apologetic and comped the whole meal for our whole table and even said if I came back I could have another meal comped, for not just me but I could bring my friends too and "Give us a chance to make this right." So he understood what a serious f-up it is to serve bacon to a vegan. I was calm and nice BUT the fact still stands that the servers and/or the cooks aren't educated about what they are serving and that is a big problem. I won't be going back. I thought about not posting this because the manager felt so bad, but vegans need to stick together and share information.

Love it - Edit

They have alot of veg-options and the service is great, I love the fact that its a pet friendly place as well!
If you ever visit or live in Austin I strongly recommend this place

Pros: Vegan optimos, pet friendly

Cons: NONE!

Memories.. - Edit

I used to live in Austin and boy do I miss Kerbey Lane! Last time I went was during my trip to Austin in late July and I went like three times haha. One of my favorite items has to be the vegan breakfast platter, which consists of cinnamon roll pancakes, soysage patties, and a tofu scramble. I don't remember if there was anything else. But it was delicious, flavorful, hearty, and spicy. I loved it so much. Another favorite is their addicting vegan queso which was also delicious and spicy. Mmmm... I cannot wait for another trip to Austin to have some of this again. Not to mention, some good bonding time with my old friends for a perfect breakfast, lunch or late night meal of course.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 21, 2013

*I had to review this location since it was the only one I could find on this site. I always went to the locations in South Austin, but the menu is the same anyway.*

Pros: huge range of delicious food, good service, would give 5 stars if possible

Cons: I don't have a kerbey lane here in LA :(

Best at 2am - Edit

I always go out and find myself half away half alive inside Kerby lane. I love it, the staff is nice but if it's a holiday like Halloween or new years be ready to wait but it is worth it trust me. I love it here the pancakes, vegan sausage, tofu eggs, vegan queso, sweet potato fries, bugers I could go one. I always get great service and awesome food

Pros: Geat food, Great service

Cons: Wait

Busy place on Sundays - Edit

While visiting friends in Austin, they took us to the Northwest Kerbey location on Hwy 183 near their home. One of them is vegetarian and likes this place, so there are plenty of options for vegetarians, but the vegan ones are more limited (although you can sub tofu in some dishes). We checked out a menu while we waited as there were lines on a Sunday for brunch. Once inside, it has a nice diner feel to it.

We all ended up getting vegan dishes with Dirk and me both having the vegan breakfast platter with 2 pancakes, soy sausage and tofu scramble. One friend had the short stack of vegan pancakes and the other had the migas tacos with tofu. The pancakes were peach and there is only one vegan option per day. They were good, but really dense and filling. The sausage was really tasty as was the scramble. I really enjoyed the scramble even though I'm not the biggest fan of them (never liked eggs pre-vegan anyways), but this one really hit the spot. I also had a iced chai with soymilk. We took the vegan mocha tofu cheesecake to go as we couldn't finish it there as we were so stuffed and it was really good. Definitely a good place to go with a mix of friends, but probably wouldn't seek it out with a vegan only group.

Pros: vegan items clearly marked, nice atmosphere, easy parking at this location

Cons: more vegetarian than vegan options, long lines

24 hour Pancakes!!! - Edit

Went here with a a local friend that really loves this place. The quality varies depending on which location you go to, so I've heard. We went to the one on the south end of town.

We had the vegan blueberry pancakes which were okay, very heavy/ filling and a little on the rubbery side. Tasty to someone who hasn't had pancakes in a really long time, so take that with a grain on salt. There was only one type of pancake available to vegans, so no choice on whether you want chocolate chips or blueberries or plain. We also had an order of hash browns, which were also okay.
There was a long wait to get a table but the food came out in a decent amount of time. Our waiter was awesome! Super friendly and nice.

All in all, I'd probably go back again to try some other stuff on the menu. I've heard good things about the other types of vegan pancakes they serve, you just have to be a bit lucky in timing for a new type.

Pros: Service, open 24 hours

Cons: limited vegan menu, rubbery pancakes

Really liked it - Edit

I ate at the South Lamar location Thursday the 19th. Had the Tomato Pie. What great flavors - I love the idea of using local produce in my dinner. Had chai tea with soy milk, in fact got another to take back to my hotel. I'll be back next trip there.

Pros: Great food, great atmosphere, local fresh ingredients

Beats going hungry - Edit

There are a number of vegetarian items on the menu, but many of them wouldn't amount to much in a vegan version. I had a veggie burger for lunch and it was ok- nothing spectacular.

I've heard that the locals all go there for pancakes and they offer vegan pancakes.

I love this place - Edit

Kerby Lane is not entirely vegetarian but is very accommodating and has some really fantastic dishes that break out of the "standard veg fare". The seasonal menu is also well worth your time, I had a autumn stuffed squash with risotto, pecans, and cranberries once that was out of this world. The food is good and (even better), well priced!

Pros: inexpensive, good seasonal menu, all day breakfast

Cons: modify to make vegan

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kerbey Lane Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1967 times since Aug 2007.