Kaxapa Factory

Calle 10 entre Avenida 15 y Avenida 20 (at frente a la Plaza 28 de Julio), Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, 77710

Serves meat, vegan options available. Kaxapa is a Venezuelan corn cake or tortilla made with fresh corn instead of masa. It is served with a filling of your choice like a taco. Also offers arepa and patacones. Owners knows what vegan means. Try the Kaxapa la vegana, veggie arepa, or the patacones with grilled veggies. 2015 relocated from Constituyentes. Tue-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm

Category: Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Venezuelan, Non-veg

First Review by erised

Great vegan selection at a good price - Edit

The national Venezuelan plate is the best. Definitely order an arepa and an empanada. The staff is extremely friendly and the owner can answer all vegan Qs.

Pros: staff knowledgable in vegan eats, gf options also available

Cons: most of the sauces aren't vegan

deserves 5 stars! - Edit

Owner so sweet, *delicious food*, open air atmosphere and they actually know what vegan really means!! Great experience and wanted to go back for our last meal in Playa deal Carmen, but a little too far for us to walk in time to catch plane. Highly highly recommend!!

Pros: delicious Venezuelan food, great service and open air on park, nice owners

Best Host in Playa - Edit

The owner is usually taking all orders and is one of the most welcoming, funny and friendly hosts you could think of. Service is excellent, on your first visit they even bring you a sample of all their juices to try. Venezuelan restaurant, although the place sells animal products they know well what Vegan means, have some options in the menu and even offer to veganize some others by switching from cheese to tofu. It started as a very small restaurant but being always full they moved from Constituyente to Calle 10.

Pros: Friendliest owner in Playa!

Incredible experience! - Edit

This place was great! The owner is friendly and very attentive, and all staff are helpful with veg*n diets. They brought out little tasters of all the drinks on offer, and talked us through the meat-free options.
The Kaxapas are massive, so it might be better to share one between two people at first, then see how you go after that (my partner and I both had trouble finishing ours, and had to take the leftovers with us. They're delicious, though!)

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly (and funny!) staff

Great spot for filling vegan food - Edit

Great food and even better service. The waiter spoke English well and was very helpful in explaining which options were vegan vs vegetarian. The menu even indicates that they can swap tofu for cheese on almost every dish. I had the lentil soup and a kaxapa and both were quite good.

Healthy Options - Edit

When I arrived with my family of 4, there were no tables available, but the friendly and helpful waitress managed to accommodate us. Having lived in Venezuela for several years, I can attest that the food and drinks are authentic. The cachapas were good, though a bit salty, and my custom-made empanada was delicious. However, the best part of the meal may have been the fresh juices which are hard to find outside Venezuela! Overall, a good option if you are looking for healthier vegan food and a change from resort buffets.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: small space

Hole in the Wall Awesomeness - Edit

Owned by a Venezuelan family, this local favourite has loads of veggie and vegan options. They are big on supporting local farmers, using only local ingredients. After receiving huge recommendations, I thought “WTF?” when I saw the place, but the experience and the food is amazing. The family who owns it are the ones who serve you and they shower you with welcoming love. They play reggae tunes and even provide free samples of their unique Venezuelan juices as soon as you arrive. It’s a must-try.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Friendly

Lovely Staff, Amazing Food - Edit

I have to admit I haven't had much Venezuelan food in my life so I wasn't sure what to expect but having heard so many wonderful things we decided to venture off the beaten path and give it a try. The owner was lovely, and upon hearing we had just been married in Xcaret gave us free dessert with our meal. My husband who is an omnivore and me a vegan both throughly enjoyed our meals. We left stuffed without having to spend an arm and a leg on amazing food. I also highly recommend their fresh juice!

Pros: Great Food, Unique, Friendly Staff

Cons: not much indoor seating

Amazing food and great service - Edit

This family owned Venezuelan restaurant is a welcome addition to the Playa dining scene. My BF is gluten free, but even if we had no dietary restrictions this place would be in our top five in Playa del Carmen. The food is fresh, lovingly prepared and so tasty. We only regret not finding it sooner. Lots of vegetarian options and everything is gluten free. We had an amazing appetizer of corn pancakes with chicken and beef, and for entree we each had an empanada. I've never in my life had such a tasty, sweet and savory empanada. We will be back, many times.

Pros: Great value, Friendly staff, Amazing food

Cons: Limited seating

The best vegan food in Playa del carmen - Edit

A great family owned and run restaurant. The customer service is outstanding, they welcome you like you are a family member!
We had the Kaxapa vegana, Veggie arepa, and a salad. All were very fresh, tasty, and wholesome. The arepa said it had cheese in it so we asked for 'sin queso' and 'sin lácteos'
Could do with some more vegan options although they were more than happy to make adjustments to suit us.
Excellent value and atmosphere!

Pros: Excellent value, Fresh and wholesome, Excellent customer service

Cons: Could do with more vegan options

Simple Lunch - Edit

The food here is delicious and completely acceptable for vegans! They have tofu and vegetables for most of the dishes and it is very cheap. Probably one of the few places in Playa that recognizes the definition of vegan. I would go here for lunch as it is close to the beach and has more of a casual setting, but the food is so great so I would still come for dinner. Try the traditional Venezuelan drink, made with cane sugar (so it isn't processed with bone char like refined sugar). Everything is delicious and the service is extremely friendly!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Friendly

Return to Playa Del Carmen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kaxapa Factory closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3254 times since Jul 2011.