Kaspar Hauser

0981-17053

Pfarrstr. 10, Ansbach, Germany, 91522

Serves meat, vegan options available. The regular menu includes several vegetarian dishes and there's also separate vegan menu with many choices, including vegan appetizers and desserts. Cozy dining room. Located in the Altstadt of Ansbach. Open Tue-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Arif

nettes Restaurant im Herzen von Ansbach - Edit

Hübsches Restaurant mit veganer Karte. Draußen steht "vegan & vegetarisch", warum wird drinnen immer noch Fleisch serviert? Fände es schöner, wenn man niemandem beim Tiere essen zusehen muss :) vielleicht, irgendwann.. kann man das ändern.

Pros: vegane Optionen, freundliches Personal

Cons: serviert Fleisch

Lecker und vom Herzen - Edit

Wir hatten zwei Beilagensalate, eine Hauptspeise und einen Schokokuchen. Alles war vegan und hat sehr gut geschmeckt. Man merkt, dass es mit Herz zubereitet wurde. Die Preise sind eher in der höheren Region angesiedelt aber für die Qualität vollkommen in Ordnung. Der Service war auch freundlich.

Amazing range of options - Edit

I'll caveat this by saying I went here two years ago but I presume the variety of vegan options and decor style will be pretty similar to as it was then.

This was the only recommendation on Happy Cow for Ansbach so we headed straight there for lunch after getting off the train. I could easily have eaten two lunches and then gone back for two dinners and had different things from the menu each time. Burritos, lasagnes, a list of vegan pizzas, cakes, milkshakes, and more (though it isn't a strictly vegan/vegetarian restaurant).

Normally my husband & I both order different menu items to share but from the 5.50 euro lunch deal menu (which included a free soft drink) we both fancied the vegan cheese lasagne. There was a lot of tomato sauce and I still felt a bit hungry after mine, but we shared a slice of tiramisu (or what was described as tiramisu anyway), and a slice of pistachio torte - both were delicious. I couldn't leave without sampling one of their many vegan shakes, so I had an iced espresso/amaretto/vanilla combination.
The only thing letting the place down for me was the service. Our server wasn't rude, but neither was I overly impressed. She seemed quite grumpy and didn't smile at us once, and it was a lovely sunny day and we had already ordered our meals before my husband spotted there was an outdoor seating area as he went to find the bathroom. Also when we received the bill she waited then and there for me to pay, and it was a little awkward as I was double checking my coin values and counted out my 10 and 20 cent coins. I would give this restaurant 4.5 if possible, just because there would be room for improvement in this area, but the menu options were so good.

Pros: SO much vegan food, Nice outdoor area

This is my happy place! - Edit

This place is amazing! although not entirely vegan, it's not a restaurant with vegan options, it's a vegan restaurant with meat options! the owner is the sweetest lady ever and the food is so good! their tomato soup in the winter will have you melting. and I'm addicted to their stuffed peppers. everything is translated into English and they always have fresh deserts. A+

Pros: lots of options fresh calming atmosphere great ow

Delicious Vegan Food and Gluten-free Vegan Pizza! - Edit

I can't believe I'm the first one to review! This gem has been offering an extended range of delicious vegan dishes alongside traditional German cuisine for some years now. This extrordinarily friendly, cozy and family-run restaurant in Ansbach's Altstadt is not to be missed! It's also a great setting for groups with mixed dietary wishes--even my father-in-law suggests going there.

The vegan dishes, soups, salads, pizzas and calzones are listed in a separate menu, providing a broad variety to please any hungry vegan, and nearly everything is house-made. Our favorite: the potato-mushroom loaf with tomato sauce. There's just too much to list here. They even offer vegan burritos! And starting in Sept. 2014, they will be offering gluten-free vegan pizza on the menu. I was able to try it during the test phase, and it is out of this world! Caution though: the house-made vegan cheese is NOT gluten-free, so you'll have to order it without cheese.

A few words of caution: portions are generous, and some dishes are simply too much of a good thing. For instance, the vegan spinach-cream soup was mostly a mass of spinach, but still tasty. I took it home and combined it with two more meals. Also, ask carefully about ingredients when it matters, since they're not always clearly listed. The staff is understanding and helpful.

Breakfast begins at 4.50 euros (may have been discontinued in the meantime due to low demand). There is a midday special with a choice of dishes Tues-Fri, 11:30-2 for only 5.50 euros, and virtually all main dishes are under 10 euros.

Oh, and did I forget to mention all the delicious, house-made vegan cakes? There are usually five or six on offer at any given time, unfortunately though, none are gluten-free.

Pros: Talented and creative cook, Very helpful and friendly service, Wide-ranging, international vegan menu

Return to Ansbach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kaspar Hauser closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.