CLOSED: Karyn's on Green

Contact 312-226-6155

130 S Green St, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60607

A sister restaurant to Karyn's Cooked and Karyn's Raw in Chicago, opened in January 2010. Brunch served on Sat 11:30am-3pm and Sun 10am-3pm. MAR 2015 REPORTED SHUT, WEB PAGE AND FB NO LONGER.

Category: Vegan, American

First Review by clashbabi

Restaurant going downhill - Edit

We ate at Karyn's the first time 1.5 years ago and had a very good experience. The next time was a year ago and the food quality was markedly less than the first time. We tried again last week and were thoroughly disappointed. The food was dreadful. A flatbread ordered as appetizer was soggy. The portobello mushroom was undercooked served with greens that were bitter and some vegetables that were so blackened that we could not identify them and the charcoal taste overpowered everything. This dish was clearly ruined, and sloppily served. The kids had the parmesan chicken, which consisted of a bowl spaghetti with tomato sauce which tasted as if it came directly from a can with tomato concentrate, no seasoning or any kind of refinement. A piece of mock chicken placed on top. Dreadful! We also had mock-tails which tasted of cheap premix ingredients and a desert which was recommended by the waiter which none of us could eat more than a spoon full. Dreadful! Upon complaint, the waiter told us that the desert is delivered by a third party and that this not the chef's fault, although he/she sent his/her apologies. We disagree, the desert is the restaurants responsibility, especially when it is recommended by the staff!

Pros: Nice ambience

Cons: terrible food, Way overpriced, staff could be better

Good Food, Good Customer Service Except ....... - Edit

I visited Chi Town about 3 weeks ago, and went to this spot. I ordered a club sandwich, that was sooo good and the server was great as well, but I also ordered a mixed drink, and the bartender was interviewing someone for a job there, and I had to wait almost 30 minutes before I got my drink or food. The server went upstairs to tell him to help us, but he did not come down until he finished the interview. (I could see him from downstairs) The server apologized about 5 times and he was embarrassed. I loved the food, and topped the server well, because it was not his fault. I will support this place again when I am in Chi Town !!! Great food!!! I'm glad that this place exist.

Pros: good food, good customer service from server

Cons: that bartender, long wait for food

Pretty Good, but could be so much better - Edit

This is such a great place, as far as the decor, location, etc, Karyn sunk a great deal of money into building this place, but the menu just doesn't match the setting. This place should be on the scale of Candle 79, Millennium, Vedge, or at least Sublime, but it is not. Don't get me wrong, I like the place, but with things on the menu like the vegan drumsticks, with the wood sticks for "bones", that you can get in many vegan Chinese places or in the Asian markets, I just have to wonder what they are thinking. The menu really doesn't change that much, which is like your basic diner. I think what this place is lacking is a top level chef. Someone with some creativity and the skills to deliver. I've also found the service to be hit or miss.

You will enjoy this place. Dress up and enjoy the setting. Try the crabless cakes. Just don't expect to be dazzled.

Pros: Great decor, Pretty good food

Cons: Underachieves

Karyn's - Edit

Good food. Friendly and helpful staff.

I had lunch. Got the soup, salad, and sandwich special. Good value and portions. Fresh ingredients were used.

Pros: all vegan, good variety on the menu, nice ambiance

Cons: parking is hard

Awesome! - Edit

I came here for brunch and was blown away with how great everything tasted! The presentation of the food was even amazing, it definitely gave it that fine dining element. The waiter I had was also super friendly. If you haven't already been to Karyn's on Green, you should definitely make the trip!

why all those overly positive reviews? - Edit

Nice atmosphere though a bit pretentious, starter OK, main dish good in principle but we didn't know that "crispy greens" would actually mean BURNED vegetables.
The raw lime pie was an interesting dessert, but after that the misery started: for the first time in my entire life, I got the final bill without asking for it! We found this extremely rude. Neither I had expected the waitress to practically take my money away before my fingers could leave it on the table - we even left a tip as one usually does in the US, but honestly, we shouldn't have left a cent more.

VeganVagabond 06 Jan 2014 - I think you are reacting to a cultural difference. In the US, prompt service, including getting the bill quickly so that you can leave as soon as you wish, is viewed positively. Indeed, when travelling in Europe I often find myself impatiently waiting for the bill to come and then realizing that they will never bring it unless I actually ask for it.

Fantastic! - Edit

I wasn't sure about this place at first because of the boring looking menu, but after dining here I have to say I'm completely sold. The two of us ordered two appetizers, one entrée, and two sides to share:

Crab sliders - very good, a great dish to start off our evening.

Acorn squash - didn't interest me at all at the beginning, but ended up ordering it out of our waiter's recommendation. It was beautifully presented and truly delicious. Definitely the highlight of our meal.

Roasted portobello - I know, I know... It does sound pretty ho-hum but was actually quite good. It was well prepared and hit all the right spots.

Quinoa hush puppies - reminded me of the south Indian fried snack "vada" (both texture- and taste-wise). Really good paired up with the coconut-curry aioli. A must-order!

Caramelized Brussels sprouts - doused in a mustard vinaigrette that lent these a piquant taste. I thought they were a little bit on the raw side and could have been cooked slightly longer. A decent side dish nonetheless.

Portions were surprisingly generous. Factoring in the food quality, the attentive service, and the clean, trendy décor, the prices couldn't be more reasonable. Overall I felt that the starters and the sides outshined the main dishes, so I would recommend focusing on those. Also, they serve Dr. Cow cheeses (aka world's best vegan cheeses!) on their cheese plate, so go for it if you want to.

Pros: great food, reasonable prices, nice service

Awesome & romantic! - Edit

I tried the raw spaghetti and it was absolutely delicious.
When I came to this restaurant I was new into my vegetarianism so I didn't want to go too far out of my comfort zone.
I came with a carnivore and sampled some of their crab cakes [I've never tasted crab cakes made from the animal]-it was very flavorful and even seemed to have a hint of that seafood taste.

The atmosphere is very romantic at night.
This is a great place for lunch or dinner-definitely an intimate atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, fabulous decor

Great for a special occasion - Edit

I really enjoy this restaurant. I have been here a handful of times, and each time was unique and great. The food presentation is excellent, and they are good about incorporating seasonal dishes. The sliders are a particular favorite of mine, but everything here is very nice. There is a good drink selection, and a sophisticated ambiance.

Pros: ambiance, food presentation, attentive wait staff

Cons: somewhat expensive

Delicious, Definitely a repeat - Edit

We were visiting Chicago, so I was anxious to try an all vegan restaurant and was certainly not disappointed. The ambiance was wonderful, I loved the music in the background, and the food was delicious. We will be sure to visit there whenever we are in Chicago. October 16, 2012

Awesome - Edit

I love this place, is a must visit for vegans in Chicago. The food is good, the service is great, the atmosphere is elegant, and it is hard to find vegan fine dining. The prices are as expected, expensive, but as a treat, they are worth it. The prices are not unreasonable, but more than some other vegan restaurants. We had crab cakes (good and big), speciality made drinks, cheese plate, and everything was good.

Pros: atmosphere, staff, food

Cons: prices

Good - Edit

The service here was great and our server was extremely friendly. The vegetable soup ordered was just ok. The sauteed vegetables I got were decent and the main meals were fine. Overall the food was vegan but nothing special. I was upset to learn that most of their desserts had sugar instead of agave or another sweetner. I probably would not come back but it was good for that one time.

Pros: great service, all vegan food

Cons: food was not great

Delicious and fancy! - Edit

This is a lovely restaurant, the service is brilliant, we were looked after very well, the (virgin) cocktails were great - the Happy Ginger helped to get rid of my cold! The food was wonderful, tasty and just the right amount, and the Chocolate Peanut Butter cake was worth the air fare to Chicago alone!

Pros: Really great food, Good service, Cocktails!

Cons: A little loud (being v picky)

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Karyn's on Green closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.