Karyn's Cooked

Contact 312-255-1590

1901 N Halsted St, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60614

All housed in one building, Karyn's operates a cooked food restaurant (moved here 2015), a spa, and a raw food / fresh corner. Offers weekend brunch. Vegan except for honey. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International

First Review by condekedar

My favorite in Chicago - Edit

Karyn's been always the best vegan food I've tasted in Chicago. I often have my mom asking me to take her to this place as the quality of the dishes and desserts is amazing. Price is also very fair for the quality.

Time to update - Edit

Unchanged menu forrrever! The staff never meets the price points, but the basket is great, great deserts, great brunch, but overpriced. Has failed to adapt to the Native Foods revolution to Chicago veganism.

Pros: Desert, Brunch, Basket

Cons: Staff , Overpriced, Stuck in the early 2000s

serves honey so not vegan - Edit

Ordered through grubhub because the menu looked good but so disappointing.
The garlic bread wasn't garlic bread, no garlic flavour and the bread tastes charred.
The cornbread was dry and flavourless.
The Mac and cheese was ok but didn't taste like Mac and cheese and was quite dry.
My veggie sandwich was actually a wrap and was missing the coleslaw and ranch dressing that was meant to come with it.
My friend enjoyed his jerk tofu wrap, but it was also missing the coleslaw.

Mouth Watering - Edit

Karyn's Cooked has an eclectic and healthy menu filled with traditional comfort foods as well as new flavor pairings. The desserts are the perfect end to a delicious meal. Nice atmosphere, great service, and yummy food---you can't go wrong!

Pros: Great menu selection, Nice decor and atmosphere

you won't leave hungry! - Edit

Wonderful staff and excellent food set in a cozy contemporary space. We made the mistake of ordering a pizza as an appetizer. It was a huge dinner sized pizza! Great for sharing among four people maybe. I had the crabs cakes and my husband had the fish tacos. We loved them although they were a bit oily. The menu did say fried so it was expected. By then we were stuffed, but the dessert case was extraordinary so we had to indulge. :-) Overall it was a great dinner and the wine selection was great too.

Pros: downtown location , nice staff, desserts

Good Place for Vegan Appetizers and Dessert - Edit

The basket of fried veggies and the buffalo wings were delicious and the lemon meringue pie was very tasty, but the vegan pizza and buddah bowl were just ok. Nothing was exciting enough for me to come back the next time I visit Chicago.

Pros: Tasty Appetizers and Desserts

Cons: Vegan Pizza not as good as it sounds.

Pure Joy - Edit

Had an absolutely AMAZING meal at Karyn's Cooked. We had the wings for an appetizer, I had the Floutas, and COCONUT CAKE, which was so indulgently delicious. Heavenly.

My omni co-worker had a roasted veggie sandwich which he said was very good.

I will be back!!

Pros: Friendly Service, Loads of options, Relaxing atmosphere

Needs more gluten free options - Edit

I'm not a huge fan of Karyn's Cooked. I think their salads and raw dishes are pretty uninspired, and the other gluten free options are limited. Their desserts are very good, however, and their home fries are delicious.

Love at First Bite! - Edit

UPDATE:

I was passing through Chitown last weekend and stopped by Karyn's on my way to the airport.

I ordered a Jerk Tofu Wrap & fried broccoli basket, and was happy to see that they were still as delicious as ever.

The Homestyle Meat Loaf was not as good; I did not enjoy it. I'm basically writing this so that I'll remember not to order it again on my next visit.

Key Lime Cheesecake was the bomb! I wasn't expect much at all, but it blew me away! May have to order a whole one next time.

-----------------------------------------------------

I went to Karyn's Cooked for the first time two weekends ago and a couple of my omnivore family members decided to tag along. Let me just say that it was so fantastic that they insisted on driving back (4 hours) this past weekend.

My absolute favorites are the Fried Broccoli Basket, the Jerk Tofu (And I'm not a tofu fan, but both the sandwich and the wrap are delicious! If you're sensitive to spicy foods ask for light jerk sauce. If you love spicy, ask for extra!), the carrot cake, the chocolate chip cookies, and the bread pudding (it's a must!).

The Southern Comfort (flavorful beans & greens w/o meat!), Falafel, Homestyle Meatloaf, the Flautas, and the double carob cake were all very good. Excellent seasoning and spices on the meatloaf.

The taco salad was ok. There was something missing or off with the ground soy, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. If you like the taste/flavor of coffee, you'll love the tiramisu cake.

My companions loved the Grilled Portobello Mushroom sandwich, the fried mushroom basket, the Vegan Pizza, and the Bruschetta.

All of the food (on all three days) was fresh and beautifully presented. The portions were large enough to share and to take home for the next day's lunch or dinner; a great value. Service was excellent and friendly. The restaurant is small with a very warm ambiance. Perfect for dates, lunch/dinner for a few, or lunch/dinner alone. Reservations are suggested for weekend dinner.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 13, 2009

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Excellent value; large portions, friendly staff; open late

A decent Vegan selection! - Edit

In all honesty, Karyn's is often hit or miss when it comes to taste and quality. Sometimes I order in because sometimes the service is exactly top quality either. They do have some really great items though, but definitely not the best vegan food around.

Pros: decent food

Cons: consistency, service, quality

Gourmet Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Karyn's Cooked is a nice Vegan restaurant serving Gourmet food that is good value for money. We shared the Buffalo Wings and the Nachos both really good and then purchased a Vegan Cookie to have on our walk back to our hotel. We were more than happy with the food and it was a good night out. They have friendly staff. We would definitely recommend going here.

Pros: Good Selection, Gourmet Quality, Friendly Staff

Comfort food - Edit

Karyn's is a few blocks from our house, and we eat here perhaps once a month. We like Karyn's but aren't head over heels in love with it. We do love that there is a vegan comfort food option close by, though, and will support it as long as it's in our neighborhood! We tend to order the "Mexican" food items, such as the guacamole, mashed potato enchiladas, and chili. The food is good, but it is a bit heavy. The desserts are pretty yummy. Try the apple pie!

Pros: Nice vibe, Big portions

Cons: Service is so-so

nice enough, but really nothing special - Edit

We were disappointed by Karyn's Cooked, after reading some good reviews. We shared a nice pizza starter, but the main courses were hard to finish. The salmon looked amusingly convincing, but was large, bland pieces of seitan wrapped in seaweed - we were pleased to see somewhere having a go at vegan fish though, quite rare - we don't know how to do it at home... Ribs we similarly huge pieces of bland seitan drowned in an over-sweet gloopy sauce. The veg and accompaniments weren’t great either - nice coleslaw but undercooked rice and overcooked broccoli!

One of my favorite restaurants! - Edit

I'm shocked to see all the negative reviews! I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've ordered and the staff is always super friendly. Don't let the negative comments scare you away, try out Karyn's Cooked for yourself!

If it's your first time going, I recommend the gluten free spaghetti w/lentil meatballs(:

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Gluten free options

Cons: Price

One of my favorite Chicago restaurants - Edit

I took a colleague to dinner at Karyn’s Cooked, one of my favorite Chicago restaurants. It was an easy walk from our downtown hotel. We started with the buffalo wings appetizers, which were tasty. I had the flautas, which were delicious – rolled fried tortillas with a tofu stuffing topped with vegan sour cream and guacamole – and came with salsa, mixed greens and refried beans. This is an upscale vegan restaurant with a diverse menu and delicious desserts that will satisfy anyone. I’ve eaten here a few times and have thoroughly enjoyed the food each time. On the weeknight we dined, they did not take reservations. They seem to do a decent to-go business, too. With our check we were given coupons to Karyn’s Raw restaurant and Karyn’s Corner, which is a good way to get people to visit those sister businesses owned by the same woman.

Pros: Nice ambience, Vegan dessert choices

Cons: Pricey, Did not take reservations

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karyn's Cooked closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.