Kartoffel Lord Vegetarische Kuche

Contact n/a

Gerberstrasse 1, Dortmund, Germany, 44227

Serving veggie burritos and falafel since 1988. In 2014 reported relocated from Baroper Straße 234. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-2:00am, Sun 11:00am-2:00am, Fri-Sat 11:00am-5:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Arabic

First Review by Stevie

One of a kind! - Edit

"Kartoffellord" is basically my first encounter with real vegan "fast food" ever (luckily). I actually cannot remember when I first ate my first ARABIC but it has to be ages ago. Back then they just had a tiny, tiny shop with 2-3 seats only and where something like THE place for vegans to go to grab a snack. A lot has changed since then, they have a second branch in Düsseldorf now (The Lord, Bilk-Arcaden I guess) and the former tiny kitchen-only place has morphed into a two-story venue with many seats and quite a wide range of dishes compared to the early days.

I still go there regularily and I always at least take one ARABIC (actually two most of the time), olives with walnut-pomegrenate sauce and Koolocheeh. In my opinion, ARABIC, which they seem to have invented, still is a one-of-a-kind food you can't get anywhere else. It's texture and flavour are so unique and hearty I think I'll always come back.

Another good thing is it's still all homemade and always slightly differs in taste (and quality - but from "very good" to "superior" I don't mind). It's also great to see the (former?) owner and possibly the man who invented ARABIC is still around and supervises the young folks working their so that the quality stays top-notch.

Pros: Always great, one-of-a-kind, ARABIC

Cons: new place not as cozy

Arabic is great - Edit

Just great vegetarian fast food!

Pros: tasty

Addition of information - Edit

Opening hours: Sunday - Thursday from 11 am - 2 am
Friday and Saturday from 11 am - 5 am

Address: Gerberstraße 1, 44143 Dortmund

They are offering vegetarian and vegan fast food since 1988
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 15, 2014

Pros: Design , Food, Service

More of the same, please! - Edit

My first ever trip to Dortmund has had both good and bad points. Kartoffel-Lord is most certainly one of the good ones. As I write, I have visited twice in 24 hours.

The restaurant is fairly central, looks fresh and clean and has a friendly atmosphere. It's not too large and there is a steady flow of customers but both times I've visited I've been lucky enough to find a seat and enjoy my food without being hurried.

The Arabic appears to be the only vegan main but is delicious (as others have commented) and you can, of course, tell them if there are any vegetables you don't want in it as they make it fresh in front of you.

They serve a selection of drinks including Fritz-Kola, Bionade and beer and everything is very reasonably priced. Two of us had a wrap and a drink for about EUR 12.

Pros: Good value, Delicious, Central

Cons: Not all vegan :-)

Great Food, Friendly, Good Price - Edit

I ate here today with a friend and we shared an "Arabik" and a "Tako" -- both vegan. It was so good that we got some home made flat bread to-go.

(The address given on Happy Cow was close, but not correct. Gerberstr. 1 is closer to the real location.)

Pros: Yummy, Inexpensive , Friendly

Vegetarian Oasis! - Edit

Thought I'd update. Still LOVE the Arabic - which is worth the trip. Really worth the visit. They are renovating the entire restaurant, and within the next few months, they'll have a whole new set up, with seating. Love Kartoffel Lord. Never miss it. My rating should be five cows - this is a vegetarian restaurant.

Living in Germany as I am at the moment, this country is not a mecca for vegans, so it was great to find this little spot in Dortmund which is a must visit. Not much to look at, it is simply good fast food for vegetarians, with plenty of interest for vegans. The Arabic wrap was fantastic, and the sauce on this masterpiece was vegan (ask for the others - they are not all vegan, though everything here is vegetarian). The pita here is homemade on site, and the mixture of sauces and fake meat was first-rate. Definitely worth a visit. Prices are very fair as well. Nice owners, if you speak some German. I have not tried anything other than the Arabic pita, but they also have all sorts of falafel, soya burgers, and they do a lot of baked potato combinations with sauce that are popular in Germany. I believe several of these are vegan.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 23, 2008

Pros: value, taste

Cons: not much seating - for now!

Arabic Fan - Edit

The thing that they sell as arabic is basically heaven wrapped in tortilla bread. More specifically, it is texturized soy protein with some curry sauce together with onions, greens and tomatoes. You can also ask for some spices to make it a bit hot (but German hot, which means very mild). I had the same thing for two lunches in row and I could have probably had it every day.

You can ask for whole wheat bread as well for an extra 50 cents.

They also have burgers and baked tomatoes but I had the idea they mostly sell arabic and falafels.

Cheese - Edit

They have a "Vegan" Cheese as option , they sell it as a Vegan cheese , but it is no Vegan Cheese ... it's analogcheese with milk....

I am a little bit pissed !!!

Pros: Arabic

Cons: sell non vegan stuff as vegan stuff, expansive

Yay to Fast Food. - Edit

I love Kartoffellord! It's rather small, but that does not affect the food, as it's really good!

Everyone I know is a fan of the Arabic, but I think that the Falafel wrap is just as awesome! To make it vegan, you just have to say so and they will use a special vegan hummus sauce!

I also like that they offer whole grain bread as an alternative to white bread, even if it's a bit more expensive.

You should definitely try it out, it's so yummy!
And now I'm hungry. (;

Pros: Falafel wrap, Fast Food, affordable

Cons: small venue

Amazing Veggie Fastfood - Edit

I just love this place!! I live in Dortmund since nearly three years now and it took a while until I had found Vegetarian places to go and eat. Kartoffellord is just amazing because it is Fast Food so you don't have to sit in an expensive restaurant and it's really nice food! I especially like the Arabic which is their speciality. It's location is perfect as well because it's in the middle of Dortmund. So when everybody gets the munchies after a night out it's a great option to escape having to go to McDonalds with your friends because Kartoffel Lord is open until the early hours. It really is some of the nicest Fast Food I have ever had!! And it's very cheap as well :)!

Pros: friendly staff, good value, very, very nice food!

Top notch fast food - Edit

Amazing place open til the early hours of the morning, perfect for a super tasty vegan kebab or wrap. They also do delicious baked potatoes and salads. The speciality is the 'Arabic' wrap which is a mouth watering falafel style pitta bread served with succulent soya 'meat' balls and a unique sauce with choice of salad filling. Seriously tasty. Some of the best fast food I have ever had. Genius establishment and friendly staff.

Pros: late opening, tasty food, staff

Kartoffel Lord Vegetarische Kuche , Dortmund - Edit

It's about 3 years ago but when I visited Dortmund I ate in this place a lot. Centrally located, tasty take away food, generous portions also I seem to remember. I'd have no issuess going back there. Good value for money.

Pros: Central location, Tasty food, Value for money

Return to Dortmund Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kartoffel Lord Vegetarische Kuche closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3040 times since Aug 2007.