Karma Kitchen

• Organization Organization
Contact 202-483-9300

2305 18th St NW (at Himalayan Heritage Restaurant), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20009

Operating out of the Himalayan Heritage Restaurant last Sunday of the month from 12-3pm, this is a volunteer-driven experiment in generosity. Pay it forward, pay as you like service where there are no prices on the menu and where the check reads $0.00 with only this footnote: "Your meal was a gift from someone who came before you. To keep the chain of gifts alive, we invite you to pay it forward for those who dine after you." You get a fixed menu: 3 vegetarian entrees, rice, dal, naan, and dessert. Ask for re-fills if you like. Uses dairy. Open .

First Review by aparnakothary

What a gem! - Edit

We had lunch here today, a falafel burger and I had the mixed mushroom burger. We also has fresh blended juices. Everything was very fresh and very tasty. The service was friendly and fun too.
Prices are reasonable for what you get and the quality of the food too.
We will be back :)

Pros: Fresh, Comfortable setting , Friendly service

Cons: No cons.

Great idea, Execution leaves room to be desired - Edit

I love the concept. I also like that you are supposed to get a platter with some of everything. However, I was really let down to find out all they had on the menu this month was one vegan option: Chana Masala with rice. I have never dined Indian with so few Indian options! To make it even worse, when I ordered only the Chana Masala (instead of the four items that normally come with rice and naan), I still got the same serving size as those who got some of everything. It was about five bites. If you are only ordering one option, they should give you more of the one... They do encourage you to order seconds if you want, which I did, but even with seconds (and thirds), it was still less food than a normal dish.

It's unfortunate that the "three courses" are not at all available for diners interested in eating vegan. The options are scarce.

Pros: Philosophy/mission, Friendly service, Good food

Cons: Vegan options really lacking, Small portions

Karma Kitchen is karmalicious! - Edit

If you are in DC for the day, the weekend, or your whole life - Karma Kitchen is the place to be on Sunday! It is run by volunteers in the spirit of a gift economy and it is friendly, fascinating, and just downright fun. I encourage you to visit and eat and then go again as a volunteer! The food tastes like home and the service satisfies the soul.

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karma Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2188 times since Jan 2011.