Karma Foods

508-896-8804

2628 Main St, Brewster, Massachusetts, USA, 02631

Take-out cafe that is 100% gluten-free. Uses organic local ingredients, including produce grown in its own garden. Has cold pressed organic juices, smoothies with boosts, and fresh baked goods including vegan. Open Wed-Sat 9:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out only

First Review by veggivet

Cute place, mostly gluten free, all vegetarian - Edit

Very pleased with this place. We went for breakfast although they have an afternoon menu as well. They had a whole list of juices and smoothies, plus add-ins. The shop is completely vegetarian. The menu says you can make anything vegan if you ask, But that is not true. I wanted the waffles but they contain eggs and there was no replacement. There were also some scramble dishes with egg which my vegetarian boyfriend got, and while I did not ask if this could be veganized, I'm assuming it could not be because there was no tofu in any dish on the board. Karma also advertises itself as being 100% gluten free, But this is not 100% true because they have wheatgrass on their smoothie or shots menu. While this is technically gluten free, those of us very sensitive to gluten know it is likely contaminated. However, I have celiac and was completely fine with my smoothie (and other foods). I would assume their kitchen besides their blender is completely gluten free.

Despite what I have mentioned that may seem negative, I really enjoyed this place! I got a strawberry chocolate smoothie with strawberry, cacao, maca, and banana. I got an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that was vegan. They had another cookie that vegan and had two breads that were only vegetarian. I got cinnamon raisin apple quinoa oatmeal made with almond milk. All of this was yummy! My boyfriend enjoyed his food as well,including the vegetarian zucchini bread.

This place is very small, so do not plan to sit down to eat if it is raining- they only have 2 seats in the very small store itself that was occupied when I went in. They have outdoor seating but because it was raining we had to sit in our car. Regardless, the food was great. The woman who helped us was very friendly. Would definitely go back. Just be aware that while everything is said to be able to be made vegan, it may not be, and that while all ingredients are technically gluten free, there potentially could be some contamination in blenders with the wheatgrass.

Pros: gluten free, customizable smoothies, baked foods,

Cons: not all can be made vegan as advertised, only sits

A bit disappointing for vegans - Edit

I was excited to try this vegetarian place for breakfast because the menu said "Any dish can be made vegan, just ask!" When I did ask, the vegan versions left something to be desired; basically just take out the non vegan foods and don't replace them with anything, or they were not able to be made vegan after all. First, I wanted to get my daughter the Sweet Bowl, which was a waffle bowl and syrup. I was quickly informed the waffle bowls were not vegan, so that was a no go. Then I asked about the Fruit Bowl for her, which was yogurt, fruit and granola. I was told they didn't have vegan yogurt, so I asked for it without yogurt, because I wasn't sure she would eat anything else. It came with bananas, apples and strawberries, and the granola was also left out for some reason. I wanted to get the Karma bowl with kale, onion, mushroom, egg and cheese, but they had no vegan substitutions for egg or cheese, so instead I got the bean bowl which was suppose to be greens, rice, beans, and egg, without the egg, but when I opened it at home it also had no rice, so just a container of greens and kidney beans. So those items were disappointing. It would have been nice if they had scrambled tofu to replace eggs. Some positives are all their smoothies are vegan, and they did have two types of vegan cookies and a vegan pumpkin bread. Also, my vegetarian got the Sunny Day Bowl as is and said it was tasty. They don't have indoor seating but they have a nice picnic table area outside. It was a bit too windy for us to eat there today though. I wouldn't return for breakfast with this current menu, but maybe their lunch and dinner menu would be more satisfying for vegans. They do list a homemade veggie burger, but I don't know if it is vegan or not.

Pros: nice outdoor seating area, vegan smoothies, vegan baked goods

Cons: no vegan replacements for egg, cheese, or yogurt, no vegan waffle bowls

Great place! - Edit

Very delicious and nicely priced place. They have a lot of vegan options plus a whole range of vegan, dairy and gluten free desserts.

karmafoods 08 Jun 2017 - Thank you very much and we appreciate your business! :)

Barebones But Very Good - Edit

We enjoyed a delicious bibimbap. The fresh ingredients - including great kimchi and sauce was very good. It would be just as good without the egg if you prefer. It felt as if the dish was made with great care and attention.

The menu for food is limited but savory. The smoothie and juice menu seemed more extensive.

There is no indoor seating; we ate outside next to a lovely vegetable garden.

We would definitely go again.

Pros: good food, healthy options

Cons: no indoor seating

karmafoods 08 Jun 2017 - Hopefully we can work towards finding a location with indoor seating in the near future but we do have lovely scenic outdoor tables and seating near our beautiful garden.

Good option for the Outer Cape - Edit

Not many vegan options on Cape Cod, so this new, small venue fills an unmet niche. Many vegan options, including salads as well as more substantial dishes, but many dishes use eggs. Knowledgeable, friendly staff makes selecting a vegan dish easy peasy. We had smoothies after a long bike ride, but weren't able to go back for a full meal as they are closed Monday and Tuesday.

Pros: Convenient to Cape Cod Rail Trail., Very nice outdoor seating next to their garden., Easy parking.

Cons: Kind of hidden away in the corner. , Needs better signage., Closed Mon/Tues.

karmafoods 08 Jun 2017 - Thank you for your review. We are planning to enlarge our signs this year. :)

Return to Brewster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karma Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.