CLOSED: Karma Foods

• ( 10 reviews )

2628 Main St, Brewster, Massachusetts, USA, 02631

Take-out cafe that is 100% gluten-free. Uses organic local ingredients, including produce grown in its own garden. Has cold pressed organic juices, smoothies with boosts, and fresh baked goods including vegan. Confirmed closed, May 2020.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out only

First Review by veggivet

MtnOcnPlntsLuv

Points +74

26 May 2020

Karma Foods is now Fare & Just Kitchen - Delicious!!!

Karma Foods is now Fare & Just Kitchen and is now 100% Plant-Based. The food is fabulous with a special menu each week. Open TH-SN 12pm-7pm. I’m thrilled as F&J they are open on Sundays now and the hours themselves are much better too! They are doing a very safe and great job during this pandemic. Call and pay ahead and pick up at window. Waiting times are about 15 to 20 minutes. Such a great spot. Can’t say enough great things!

Pros: 100% Plant-Based!!!, Call ahead and have order ready for pick up, Delicious & the prices are so reasonable too!

Rbaldwin5761

Points +38

06 Jul 2019

Fantastic food and baked goods. Many vegan options!

Had the tofu scramble and the burger bowl. Both were excellent! The veggie burger was a favorite and blew us away. Also got a few baked goods that were a fan favorite in our house. 10/10 will return.

Schwartzie

Points +33

Vegetarian
17 Oct 2018

Good but menu needs to offer more alternatives

I have to agree with one of the other reviewers on the lack of vegan/non-egg choices. I am a vegetarian but I do not eat egg's unless they are cooked in something. Almost all of the breakfast bowls had an egg on top and there was no option to replace it with scrambled/sauted/etc tofu. Having this option would greatly expand the menu. I settled for the Vegan Tofu Scramble which was ok but at $11 was pricey for what it was. The lunch and dinner menu seems to have more options but it would be nice to see a place that has signage that they are "vegan" have more than 2 offerings for breakfast.

Pros: Quick, Location, Flavorful

Cons: Limited Menu, Small seating area, Staff could be friendlier

capecodvegan

Points +28

19 May 2018

Lack of vegan choices

I was so excited to find out there was a vegan/vegetarian restaurant near my summer home but unfortunately it was not what I was hoping for. First, they do not have many already vegan options (except smoothies and juices). They say you can make any dish vegan but all that means is taking out items, not substituting for vegan alternatives. How can you make a veggie scramble vegan with no tofu? All in all, the food was fine, nothing I couldn’t easily make at home, but it was tasty enough. *side note* I was surprised in the excessive amount of plastic and one-time use plastics

Pros: Lots of smoothie options, Good amount of vegan baked good

Cons: Few “already vegan” options, No vegan substitutes, Lack of indoor seating

24 Jun 2018

Thank you for stopping in. Sorry to hear you were disappointed. July 1st starts our new summer menu which will have many more vegan options. All of our utensils are compostable and are made from plants as well as our cups, lids, straws and containers.

punkhorn

Points +64

22 Feb 2018

Nice Lunch Spot

Great place to catch a soup, salad or grain bowl. Everything can be made Vegan. Love their Burger Bowl with homemade veggie burger and salad. Try it with their killer chipotle dressing!

24 Jun 2018

Thanks so much! Happy that you enjoyed your food.

MarenaLynn

Points +26

04 Sep 2017

Cute place, mostly gluten free, all vegetarian

Very pleased with this place. We went for breakfast although they have an afternoon menu as well. They had a whole list of juices and smoothies, plus add-ins. The shop is completely vegetarian. The menu says you can make anything vegan if you ask, But that is not true. I wanted the waffles but they contain eggs and there was no replacement. There were also some scramble dishes with egg which my vegetarian boyfriend got, and while I did not ask if this could be veganized, I'm assuming it could not be because there was no tofu in any dish on the board. Karma also advertises itself as being 100% gluten free, But this is not 100% true because they have wheatgrass on their smoothie or shots menu. While this is technically gluten free, those of us very sensitive to gluten know it is likely contaminated. However, I have celiac and was completely fine with my smoothie (and other foods). I would assume their kitchen besides their blender is completely gluten free.

Despite what I have mentioned that may seem negative, I really enjoyed this place! I got a strawberry chocolate smoothie with strawberry, cacao, maca, and banana. I got an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that was vegan. They had another cookie that vegan and had two breads that were only vegetarian. I got cinnamon raisin apple quinoa oatmeal made with almond milk. All of this was yummy! My boyfriend enjoyed his food as well,including the vegetarian zucchini bread.

This place is very small, so do not plan to sit down to eat if it is raining- they only have 2 seats in the very small store itself that was occupied when I went in. They have outdoor seating but because it was raining we had to sit in our car. Regardless, the food was great. The woman who helped us was very friendly. Would definitely go back. Just be aware that while everything is said to be able to be made vegan, it may not be, and that while all ingredients are technically gluten free, there potentially could be some contamination in blenders with the wheatgrass.

Pros: gluten free, customizable smoothies, baked foods,

Cons: not all can be made vegan as advertised, only sits

yummyvegan

Points +86

30 Jun 2017

A bit disappointing for vegans

I was excited to try this vegetarian place for breakfast because the menu said "Any dish can be made vegan, just ask!" When I did ask, the vegan versions left something to be desired; basically just take out the non vegan foods and don't replace them with anything, or they were not able to be made vegan after all. First, I wanted to get my daughter the Sweet Bowl, which was a waffle bowl and syrup. I was quickly informed the waffle bowls were not vegan, so that was a no go. Then I asked about the Fruit Bowl for her, which was yogurt, fruit and granola. I was told they didn't have vegan yogurt, so I asked for it without yogurt, because I wasn't sure she would eat anything else. It came with bananas, apples and strawberries, and the granola was also left out for some reason. I wanted to get the Karma bowl with kale, onion, mushroom, egg and cheese, but they had no vegan substitutions for egg or cheese, so instead I got the bean bowl which was suppose to be greens, rice, beans, and egg, without the egg, but when I opened it at home it also had no rice, so just a container of greens and kidney beans. So those items were disappointing. It would have been nice if they had scrambled tofu to replace eggs. Some positives are all their smoothies are vegan, and they did have two types of vegan cookies and a vegan pumpkin bread. Also, my vegetarian got the Sunny Day Bowl as is and said it was tasty. They don't have indoor seating but they have a nice picnic table area outside. It was a bit too windy for us to eat there today though. I wouldn't return for breakfast with this current menu, but maybe their lunch and dinner menu would be more satisfying for vegans. They do list a homemade veggie burger, but I don't know if it is vegan or not.

Pros: nice outdoor seating area, vegan smoothies, vegan baked goods

Cons: no vegan replacements for egg, cheese, or yogurt, no vegan waffle bowls

tikhonova87

Points +297

28 May 2017

Great place!

Very delicious and nicely priced place. They have a lot of vegan options plus a whole range of vegan, dairy and gluten free desserts.

08 Jun 2017

Thank you very much and we appreciate your business! :)

RMA20904

Points +208

Vegetarian
28 Aug 2016

Barebones But Very Good

We enjoyed a delicious bibimbap. The fresh ingredients - including great kimchi and sauce was very good. It would be just as good without the egg if you prefer. It felt as if the dish was made with great care and attention.

The menu for food is limited but savory. The smoothie and juice menu seemed more extensive.

There is no indoor seating; we ate outside next to a lovely vegetable garden.

We would definitely go again.

Pros: good food, healthy options

Cons: no indoor seating

08 Jun 2017

Hopefully we can work towards finding a location with indoor seating in the near future but we do have lovely scenic outdoor tables and seating near our beautiful garden.

veggivet

Points +150

23 Aug 2016

Good option for the Outer Cape

Not many vegan options on Cape Cod, so this new, small venue fills an unmet niche. Many vegan options, including salads as well as more substantial dishes, but many dishes use eggs. Knowledgeable, friendly staff makes selecting a vegan dish easy peasy. We had smoothies after a long bike ride, but weren't able to go back for a full meal as they are closed Monday and Tuesday.

Pros: Convenient to Cape Cod Rail Trail., Very nice outdoor seating next to their garden., Easy parking.

Cons: Kind of hidden away in the corner. , Needs better signage., Closed Mon/Tues.

08 Jun 2017

Thank you for your review. We are planning to enlarge our signs this year. :)

Return to Brewster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Karma Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.