Contact 43-699-11929658

Schwedenplatz 3-4, Vienna, Austria, 1010

Persisch Vegetarische Spezialitäten. Offers Persian food with daily specials. Some dishes could be made vegan upon request. Moved from Fleischmarkt and changed name from Cafe Treff. Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Persian, Iranian

First Review by Gudrun

Tasty meal, big portions - Edit

i stopped by at this place with dad (non vegan) and both of us enjoyed the meal. although they use dairy, the are able to make your meal vegan and even replace regular yogurt with soy version. portions are huge, they use variety of interesting ingredients and the prices are okay. staff could act little more enthusiastic but i'll give it a pass. overall, a good choice for a meal.

Pros: Taste, Portions, Location

Avoid this location - Edit

I don't know, how the positive feedbacks come. May be the cook has changed? We visited Kardamom on Easter 2016. We ate Vegetable Curry with pineapple. Never ate so bad in a vegetarian restaurant. Frozen vegetables in an watery sauce,and a mint yoghurt without a whaft of mint, On the rice walked an ant! The cutlery was dirty, so the placemats. Everything was sticky and the service moderate friendly. I would give 1 cow, if this would be possible.

Pros: location

Cons: bad quality of food, not very clean, not very friendly

Great food and friendly staff - Edit

Admittedly, the atmosphere has a somewhat motley feel BUT the cook is simply great. Most dishes are vegan or can be ordered vegan. Everything is freshly prepared and tasty, meals often come with spiced soy yogurt on the side and they also serve home-made vegan deserts (just ask) and home-made Persian lemonade.

never been so disappointed - Edit

my boyfriend and i just had a whole date night planned revolving around eating at this place, so we called this afternoon to reserve a table for 9 pm. the owner asked us to be there a little early if possible, because they close at 9:30/10:00. but when we arrived at 8:45, it was closed! we called the owner again (it was her mobile number) to ask what happened to our reservation and she said, she closed earlier because business was slow tonight. wtf???

Cons: extremely unprofessional , awful service

Wonderful food, friendly service - Edit

I was a bit reluctant to come here as the reviews were not that great. But I wanted to shake things up, and I never tried Iranian food, and frankly the location of kardamom is great, the hours are great, so I went. I just asked my friend to pick things off the menu, so I let myself be surprised. Wow! I had a amazing rice dish that was filled with herbs, veggies, spices, beans, and pomegranate seeds (the use of pomegranates in Iranian dishes lured me to the cuisine). It was wonderful! So flavouful! The waitress express genuine happiness when talking to us. The Wine was also good. I don't see why anyone would not come here. Only draw-back the interior was kind of lame.

Pros: Good food and wine, excellent location, Good hours

Cons: interior

nothing special - Edit

I thought this place would have better food and service since it has decent reviews. The service was really slow and food was low quality. they did, however, have soy yogurt as a replacement to the dairy option. Vegan options.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: slow service, low quality ingredients

no! - Edit

Really i can t believe these reviews, like i even wonder if we re talking about the same place! This place serves, to my opinion, waaaaaaaay overpriced snack food. Badly. It is a very strange place, as if everyone there is actually waiting in the one and only waiting restaurant for a bus to another world. It s weird. The food is dry. desert land.

great food great staff and vegan options:) - Edit

I went to this restaurant with my parents (non vegetarian) and we all loved it. The food is simple but very tasty (the mix of spices is absolutely wonderful):) I did not even need to say I was vegan...: the waitress spontaneously proposed to change the yoghurt by a vegan option in case I was. In total, we paid a bit more than 50 euros (soup/main dish/desert/tea/wine).

wizard with spices - Edit

very accommodating for diets including gluten, but if you have some german.

the food is really exceptional home cooking, every dish we had in 2 visits, 6 meals, was differently spiced. Great location , nice ambience . Try early in your visit, you will return.

Pros: everything

Cons: best if you have some german.

Interesting food, but no written menu? - Edit

Three colleagues and I tried this place which intrigued me because Persian vegetarian food is hard to find in London, where I live. The wait staff didn't speak much English and there was no written menu which made ordering more challenging than it needed to be. Still, the food was tasty and this is a good option if you are near Schwedenplatz or can hop on the U1 line to get there. We had something like samosas (good), a curry with rice, and a very nice tofu dish. I also ordered a yogurt drink which was slightly fizzy and also fermented, a bit like ayran (the turkish yogurt drink). My colleagues thought it was wonderful (perhaps they had lower expectations than me as they are not vegetarian?!).

Pros: unusual, tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: no written menu

Vegan? Not for us! - Edit

We spent a whole 90 seconds inside Cafe Treff.

To be fair it looked nice. But we went in and asked if they could serve us as vegan. The reply was vegetarian. It might be simply that there was a lack of understanding. But we found ourselves feeling uncomfortable and uneasy. And it would seem reasonable for them to understand that we would want to eat vegan. Instead it appeared that they were unwilling to make anything vegan for us. Whatever the reason, I guess I expected them to be able to serve us. hopefully this was a one off problem.

prenez votre temps et savourez ! - Edit

Kamelia's persian dishes are made with love - and you can taste it. There is one lunch menu a day, with optional soups and/or salads, and everything is vegetarian and mostly vegan (sometimes she serves yogurt with it, then you can ask for soygurt or salad as a replacement!).
The owner is very caring, knows her clients well and takes time for each and every single guest in the small restaurant.
Among my favourite menus: the hummus plate is delicious and is served once a week!
I always feel relaxed after having lunch there ! It puts a smile on my face :)

Pros: friendly owner, lovely homecooked food, relaxing atmosphere

Cons: small restaurant

A very nice place! - Edit

I discovered this wonderful little restaurant on my last day in Vienna. I decided to go for the daily special which consisted of hummus, zuccini in tomato sauce, (soy) yoghurt, salad and flatbread. Sounds simple, but the hummus was the best I ever had and everything was just delicious. I also had a yummy ginger lemonade (vegan version, i.e., with brown sugar instead of honey) and a sugar melon drink with rose water. The service was extremely friendly, and providing vegan options was not a problem at all. The prices are very low. During the course of 2012 the restaurant will move to a new location about 5 minutes walk from the previous one. Address will then be Schwedenplatz 3-4, the new name of the restaurant will be the name of the owner - Kamelia.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, friendly staff

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kardamom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5772 times since Jun 2011.