Kanro Shichifukujin

Contact 03-5394-3694

Toshima-ku, Sugamo 3-37-5, Tokyo, Japan,

A macrobiotic café that specializes in Japanese sweets. Located 7 minutes from Sugamo station, though slightly difficult to find. Closed Thursday if it's on the 4th, 14th, or 24th of the month. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-6:00pm, Thu-Sun 11:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic

First Review by JesseD

Perfect - Edit

So delicious and beautifully presented! This little treasure is well worth the trip up the yamanote line and with the directions given, very easy to find! The store is small and charming, but not as charming as the gorgeous older lady who works here and makes every effort to ensure you feel comfortable, welcome and appreciated. The food is unique, delicious and lovingly presented. You might even get to pet the big ginger cat who calls this store home. I highly recommend a visit

Atmosphere great, food delicious! - Edit

As mentioned in title, the atmosphere here is super amazing! As we walk in, the sweetest older lady greets us. I can't speak Japanese almost at all, but she was super duper helpful and we worked it out just fine. She poured us tea from the start and were extremely attentive to us. Best service I've had in a restaurant :)

So, the food. It is a small con that the portions aren't too big. But I'll still rate this place 5 stars any day because of how freakin' good it tasted. After we had eaten our three different dishes, she poured us more tea and gave us a mandarin orange each :p Quite different, but appreciated :)

Pros: Reasonable price especially if you care about good

Cons: Very small con that the portions are not too big.

A Great Place for Something Sweet~! - Edit

The sweet thing I chose was great, and the tea that accompanied it was excellent, too. The lady who helped me choose did her best considering my Japanese is sketchy; she was very kind and helpful. She also gave me a small charm as a gift which was very sweet of her! :)

Since I had some difficulty finding the place, I asked at a market store for sweets on the main street nearby and they directed me. The place is off the small lane next to the temple. If you have found the temple, you are almost there! I will add some photos to help others find this place! It is definitely worth it! Plus, the store cat is truly adorable~

Pros: Great service, Kind and helpful owner, Great sweets and tea

Cons: A bit difficult to find

Best Macrobiotic Restaurant I've Been To - Edit

This is a tiny, charming little macrobiotic sweets restaurant, run by a friendly owner. While there's one modest 'lunch' dish, it really specialises in sweets and desserts, which are amazing - to the eyes and the taste buds. So it's not somewhere to come for a filling meal, but it's well worth the visit to experience macrobiotic food at its best. It even has vegan icecream, or better still have it as part of a dessert set. The menu is in Japanese but beautifully presented photos make this no problem.

The owner has a large pile of magazines and brochures featuring her restaurant, including Veggie Steady Go (Japanese vegetarian magazine) and Herwin Walraven's Japan Vegan Pocketguide. It's obvious why it gets so many good reviews.

The location is correct. A small meal set and the largest dessert bowl (featuring several different desserts, including soy ice cream, dried fruit and various traditional Japanese sweets) came to under 2000 Yen, which is very reasonable for food requiring so much preparation.

Pros: healthy & delicious, all vegan, quintessential macrobiotic experience

Cons: small servings (but still good value)

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kanro Shichifukujin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3219 times since Dec 2013.