Kan Kee Vegetarian Food

Contact 25757595

Stall 6, 1/F above ground, South Block, Bowrington Cooked Food Centre, 21 Bowrington Rd, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

根記健康素食, at 香港灣仔鵝頸橋熟食中心二樓南座6號舖, is a small, family-run eatery in a food court. Sometimes uses lacto ingredients - vegans should always ask. Counter service at lunch. Evening, best to call ahead with order. Some English spoken. Has Wi-Fi. Nearest MTR Causeway Bay exit A. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 6:30pm-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by eeyoresenigma

No frills Chinese vegetarian/ vegan restaurant - Edit

Located inside the causeway bay cooked food wet market, you will find an array of food store, and one long established store is this no frills Kan Kee, serving vegetarian and vegan food to locals. Basically they have about 6-7 different dishes you can choose, the set menu is with rice and a bowl of chinese soup (more watery, not like the western ones) For just $40, it is a total bargain. If you are like me who shy away from wheat gluten or mock meat, they hardly use any (as those are more costly and processed food is never good). It is more of a fast food model where you go pick your food, pay and find a seat to sit.

It's cosy, but its how locals do it. You will be surprised how popular it is! They do soup noodles rather than rice too.

Open for dinner but with advance reservations only, it is my favourite in Causeway bay for vegetarian chinese food.

Pros: Cheap and tasy, No frills, you pay for what you get, no extra char, Where the local goes

Cons: Not a lot of seatings, but often seats will free u, If you like fancy place, this is not the place for, The menu change everyday, which can be a good thin

Just Delicious - Edit

Quite hard to find. The cooked food market says it's on the 1st floor but don't be fooled, there are 2 first floors; upper ans lower. Just go into the cookies food market and search. The food was amazing! Vegan and so delicious. The tomato tofu dish was sweet and herbaceous, the mushroom with courgettes was off the walls. so much flavour. Rice is refillable and self serve, good for greedy people like me. Soup is an additional $15 but it was very well seasoned as well. definitely worth the wait. $50-58 for a dish including as much rice aa you can eat. share 2-3 dishes with your friends and you're GOLDEN

Pros: Delicious, English speaking staff, cheap, refillab

Cons: loud environment, some people getting drunk (esp.

Simple, fresh, delicious - Edit

They have 6-7 dishes. You can choose three for your meal, and you can also add a soup if you want. Rice is included.

I had a great experience here today. I got choi sum, orange squash, mock ham, and soup. My companion also got the choi sum along with tofu in brown sauce and tofu skin rolls. Everything was very good.

I like this place because it is a nice change of pace from the heavy focus on mock meats at other HK vegetarian spots. It was great that the vast majority of choices were recognizable veggies cooked simply and deliciously.

Also, don't be deterred by the queue. We went a little after 1pm and there was a long line (probably about 20 people). However, the workers are efficient, so we were through in about 5-7 minutes. Well worth the (short) wait for a delicious meal.

Pros: Vegetable focused, Simple

Down to earth vegan eating - Edit

I guess this is as local as it gets when you want to eat vegan food. A lot of locals around you enjoying their (often non vegan) lunch and dinner at the food court of the market. Don't expect a quite restaurant atmosphere. If you are looking for a bustling experience with lots of locals you came to the right place though.

The food is standard Cantonese fare, but a tasty one at that. You better call ahead as they told us they usually buy only the ingredients they received preorders for.
We were there before closing time and just told them to bring whatever they still had available. I like this concept of not producing food waste a lot.

Pros: Local, All vegan

Cons: Loud and noisy (well, local)

Like a Lotus Flower - rising above filthy water - Edit

A 'now-vegan' sanctuary in the middle of a very meaty market.

If you are planning an evening visit - phone to Elsa to let her know that you are coming.

20+ years of serving palnt-based food to the local community.

Loyal clientele.

If you visit often enough they may name a dish after you!

Seating for around 30 - plus a thriving take away business.

From a magazine article -

+Outdoor butchers, fishmongers and grocers surround the wet market complex itself, which houses the cooked food stalls. Kan Kee Vegetarian is one of the most famous. Before World War II, Kan Kee was a fishball noodles stall but when the family business was handed over to the eldest daughter, a vegetarian, it began to serve vegetarian fare instead. The neighborhood clientele gamely came to give the new menu a go and the veggie dishes went down a treat, with loyal customers slowly becoming part of the story behind the stall. "Mr. Leung's stew," for example, is named after a businessman who comes twice a week to order the same simple veggie dish.+

Full story here - http://hk-magazine.com/restaurants/article/market-potential

The Best Meal I've Had in Hong Kong - Edit

When I walked into this food court area, I was not expecting much. The food court is old and pretty run down.

The food from this restaurant, in contrast, is an amazing surprise. Gourmet vegan food with a lovely presentation.

The tofu curry was perfect. I have tried a number of far more expensive restaurants in Hong Kong, but this restaurant has the most memorable and delicious food.

Pros: Food, Great Value, Attentive service

Delicious & great value Chinese food - Edit

This restaurant seems to have different owners for lunch & dinner service. This is a no frills dining experience, but is great value and the food is generally really good.

Lunch consists of 4 or 5 dishes on a wet bar, all of which are generally very tasty. It is great value. Be warned - if you arrive between 12pm & 2pm, prepare for a lengthy queue!

For dinner, service can be very slow so it is best to call ahead to make an order.

Pros: Tasty food, Great value, Friendly owners

Cons: Can get very busy & loud

Kan Kee, Hong Kong - Edit

I ate here this evening. There's no sign in English but fortunately for me, there was a couple of backpackers there one of whom suspect my looking lost was in search of the vego place. All 3 of us had soup then a main and rice. 231 hkd seemed pretty decent value. Its a small operation and the people who run it need to use a bit of enterprise but that didn't bother me. The lady who does the waitressing is a bit of a character as well. All the better in that when I asked here what was vegan, she said everything.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly service, Tasty and inexpensive

tasty but overpriced Chinese veggie food stall - Edit

I had never eaten at a Chinese wet market before and was looking forward to this adventure. The cooked food area is on the top floor of the wet market complex and is accessible by the exterior staircase, so you don't actually have to walk through the wet market to get up to the cooked food floor.

I had called ahead to see if 19:30 is OK for the 2 of us, and Elsa insisted that we order ahead and helped us do so (as I didn't have a menu and was not familiar with their menu). By the way, I'm a native Cantonese speaker and so can't comment on how good her English or Putonghua are, but I'd imagine she can converse in both, based on other reviews on here.

She showed concern about her only chef being too busy and wanted us to order ahead and order similar dishes as other diners, so he could do the preparations ahead of time. Whatever! We pre-ordered two dishes on the phone.

The atmosphere is decidedly lower working class Hong Kong circa 1960s, with plastic tables and chairs in an open, shared food hall. Not without some retro charm. And the floor had been upgraded with air conditioning.

We had two small dishes of tasty but unremarkable Chinese dishes, plus two small bowls of rice. I was quite surprised by the bill - HK$128 for not a lot of food. (The prices on their menu had struck me as high for a food stall, but apparently the menu prices were out-dated and the real prices are even higher now.)

Granted, the bill would be considered reasonable at a family-style restaurant, but at a food stall atop a wet market, it was decidedly overpriced. At over 20% more expensive than Loving Hut nearby, where we had dined the night before, there are better options in HK, even in the same neighborhood.

Definitely will not be returning to this place.

Pros: tasty, simple food

Cons: overpriced for a food stall, outdated menu prices, no real service

Stevie Hi SFvoyage,

If I may politely reply to your review.

I uploaded some pics of menu from Kan Kee. I also uploaded some (admittedly not very clear) pics of the Wan Chai Loving hut menu to the Wan Chai Loving Hut listing. I'm a big fan of Loving Hut, great food at pretty affordable prices. I am fascinated to know though how Kan Kee can be described as more expensive than Loving Hut?

As well as what is on the menu, Kan Kee offer a lunch time deal. Off the top of my head I think it's something like 28 hkd without soup and 34 hkd with soup. That I am aware of (I've been to every 100% vego restaurant currently listed on happycow for HK Island), the only other place in downtown HK Island that offers a sit in lunch deal in that price bracket is Fook Luk Sau. There are slightly cheaper sit in lunch deals available but that I have seen, you need to go out of the Sheung Wan to Causeway Bay downtown area. I include Loving Hut in Wan Chai in that. Their lunch deal is 58 hkd at time of writing.

Also if I may enquire please? Your "Whatever!" remark about telephone pre-ordering in the evenings. Why is a request for telephone pre-ordering a cause for such indignation?

I am in complete agreement with you that the food in Kan Kee is tasty.

Hard to find worth the search! - Edit

Hong Kong is definitely known for its great food. We went to a couple of fancy looking places for veggie dimsum but were kinda disappointed. This place was our beacon of veggie hope at the end of a meaty tunnel. Elsa was there and very patiently went over the menu with us suggesting dishes for us to try. We only got three dishes as it was just my boyfriend and I and we were on a bit of a budget. We went over a year ago but I remember the dishes being simple but very tasty.

The booth is in a food complex upstairs from a seafood market. It's pretty crazy walking through the market filled with almost every sea creature only to go upstairs to a veggie restaurant. The setting is defi story not fancy, with plastic chairs. But honestly, that's the way I like to dine! Good food before good decor. It's also a great place to see how the locals dine as the stalls are jam packed into building.

All in all, if I ever go back to Hong Kong it's gonna be on my must go and eat at list!

Pros: Good healthy food, Knowledge staff, Good value

Cons: In a meat market (not their fault), Hard to find...

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kan Kee Vegetarian Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5546 times since Nov 2009.