Kamakura 24sekki

Contact 0467-81-5004

Kamakura-shi, Tokiwa 923-8, Kamakura, Japan, 248-0022

Small vegan bakery and cafe, located a 20-minute walk from Kamakura station (bus is also available). Lunch options are sandwich set and soup set. All bread is made with made-in-house natural leaven. Open Thu-Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Japanese, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by ajfischer

Incredible! - Edit

After exploring Kamakura for the morning, we stopped by for a late lunch. They were out of soup for the day, so I just got the sandwich, which was incredible! Honestly one of the best sandwiches that I've ever had - the bread was unreal! The staff was super friendly, and spoke a bit of English. After lunch I picked up a few baked goods to take home, which were also all delicious and fresh. Highly recommended!

Pros: Fresh baked goods, delicious sandwiches, incredibl

The Best Japanese culinary experience! - Edit

I gotta say this cafe was the best food experience I had in Japan. It is incredibly hard to find vegan baked goods so it was quite the luck to discover that there exist a cafe that bakes their own bread.

The sweetest staff I have encountered and the Chicken sandwich I had was literally the best mock chicken I have ever had in my Vegan life. Everything tasted so good, not too greasy or salty. Imagine filling both full and not grossed by a chicken/mayo salad.

I also spent some extra cash on trying out their baked goods. A lot of them were decent, especially like the onion pizza style bread with white miso cheese. That white miso cheese was very good and convincing.

It is impressive that they manage to fuse both healthy with delicious food together. The interior was amazing and you felt like you were in a Japanese style home. The prices were very cheap for what type of food it was.

The location was also easy to find

Pros: Amazing food, Sweet staff, awesome interior, Inexpensive

Great place to relax, delicious baking... - Edit

This lovely cafe is worth the 20-minute walk from Kamakura station (not to mention it's a beautiful walk). It's easy enough to find but just enough off the beaten track.The cute rustic, wooden yet modern Japanese interior is a wonderful setting and looks out on to a garden. Although the menu was not in English, the staff were able to help us with the items and my companion and I ordered the soy meat and the lentil paste sandwich. There is organic fair trade coffee available and I ordered a cup of this with soy milk, while my companion opted for dandelion coffee. The soy meat (appeared to be bean curd) sandwich was delicious and tasty, while the lentil one was fine if less full of flavour. Both came it's a side of vegetable broth. We decided to have a sweet with our coffee: my companion a jam doughnut type of thing and a cinnamon scroll for me. My scroll was nice and fresh but subtle in flavouring, not too sweet. Such a great place to have a nice simple lunch, or a cuppa and some fresh baking. We took home rice loaf from the selection of baked goods on display.

Pros: Fresh vegan baking, Wonderful surroundings

Tranquil, meditative and green - Edit

This just may be my favourite hangout right now. Not because the food is out of this world (although it is great), but because of the overall package... the vibe here is natural, calm, authentic and peaceful to the point where I never want to leave. Although near a relatively major road, it's in a small side-street and is just far away enough from everything to give you the feeling that you're miles from anywhere. Looking out from their natural timber interior into their tiny little garden takes the soul to another place.

The breads on offer are creative, seasonally appropriate and unfalteringly tasty. While heavier use of wholemeal flour would be appreciated, they do some wonderful whole wheat bran scones amongst others and since their breads are naturally leavened even the white breads taste delicious.

It's a small place and its key charm is its meditative quietness. If you do go there, try not to spoil that vibe by conversing loudly or making a racket... this is the sort of quietly contemplative experience that makes me feel so grateful to be in Japan.

One thing - if you drive and the 2 parking spaces are full, don't be tempted to park in the 7 Eleven down the road... we did so today and the owner called the police on us - not the best ending to our little slice of zen!!

Pros: calm serenity - a modern zen experience, interesting bread varieties, all natural

Cons: not organic - this would make it perfect, drink list could be better, more wholemeal options welcome

Amazing! - Edit

Perfect little cafe in Kamakura. Has 2 sandwich and soup sets for about 1200 yen each. I got the soy meat sandwich and it was GREAT. It was very much a Japanese-style sandiwch (soft bread, layered, lots of vegan mayo) but that was really fun to try since I can't ever eat the combini versions. The soup was also amazing (with tons of veggies and quinoa), so I left really full.

It's also a bakery, and has lots of fresh bread and baked goods (cinammon rolls, melon pan, etc) for sale.

The decor is simple and has a very "natural" vibe. It's about a 15 minute walk fro the Great Buddha/ Daibutsu, which makes for a convenient side-trip. It's on a small side-street though so I'd recommend bringing a map/phone.

Pros: Close to Daibutsu, Fresh baked goods, Relaxing atmosphere

Cons: A little hard to find

Return to Kamakura Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kamakura 24sekki closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2015 times since Apr 2014.