Kalenda

Contact 8096887975

19 de Marzo 56 (at Esquina Portes), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic,

Vegetarian restaurant offering a daily changing menu. Serves a variety of food accompanied by soup and a cup of tea. Has juices and smoothies. The only non-vegan item is the option of honey for tea. Also sells a small selection of foodstuff. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Juice bar, Caribbean, Dominican

First Review by JohnRitthaler

Vegan oasis in zona colonial - Edit

So good!! Portions are huge. Great price. Free of animal products. The place is also super cute , peaceful, and pleasant. They were playing nice reggae music. The waitress was so friendly and smiley. They didn't have all the items on the menu but we had the dish of the day which was 300 pesos for a soup, large dish of rice veggies and salad with avocado and a natural juice. The plantain tortillas were also good! I think almost everything comes with loads of avocado :) highly recommend!!!

Pros: Good taste, All plant-based, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Availability of dishes

Healthier than expected - Edit

Everything is vegan which is great. The plate of the day will definately fill you up but it includes a lot of uncooked vegetables which isn't my cup of tea. However, other dishes are pretty good, especially the mushroom "meat". It is a pretty places in a pretty area.

Pros: Completely vegan, Good food

Cons: No parking basically, No credit card accepted

A lovely surprise - Edit

After having been told by Tourist info that there were no Vegetarian restaurants in Santo Domingo we were delighted to discover Kalenda. The plate of the day included a wonderful curcuma drink . A flavourful white bean soup bean was followed by a very generous dish with an assortment of salads and vegetables . Fresh and beautifully prepared. Everything was delicious! It is located in a beautiful area of the Colonial Zone. The chef was patient with our limited Spanish and was very warm and made us feel at home.

Amazing food - Edit

I went to Santo Domingo with my husband, three weeks ago.
I honestly felt so grateful when I came across this restaurant. It was a delicious, warm meal, loved the dessert, it was tasty.
The service was quick and friendly.
Definetely a place to try!

Pros: Good food, Friendly, attentive service

A Place that Celebrates Fresh Food! - Edit

We discovered this place late in our visit but it set the standard. The food is expertly prepared with combinations that are inventive and a delight. The presentation is something you would expect at fancy restaurant. But what makes this place really special is the way the food is prepared to take full advantage of their access to very fresh ingredients. When we visited we tried the kale salad, red rice special, miso soup, mushroom "burger" with chickpea pesto on whole grain bread, oat pancakes layered with fresh mango, a pasta dish with bite. None were typical, all were flavorful treats. The menu varies and there are no prices listed, but here you are in good hands. Everything we tried for 3 meals was extraordinary and the prices were far below the quality of the food, presentation and service. Even if you're not a vegan, one meal here will lift your spirits. Casual atmosphere, warm friendly service and great food.

Pros: Centrally located, Presentation and Service, Changing Menu

Your New Favorite Vegan Place - Edit

Kalenda has a lot going for it. First: It's distinctive. Many of the best vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Santo Domingo are Taiwanese. They're delicious, but the menus have some overlap if not in the dish itself then in the ingredients/style. Kalenda spices things up on the SD vegan scene by offering new dishes regularly (the menu changes daily). Second: It's in the Colonial Zone! For travelers visiting the city or locals living nearby in Gazcue the location is so important. The only other options nearby are Falafel (which has limited options for vegans) and Ananda (which is cafeteria style and the menu pretty much never changes). Kalenda has filled a gaping hole in the Colonial Zone market: a vegan restaurant with a sit-down atmosphere, varied menu, and downright delicious meals. Third: It's affordable. The menu was handwritten on a piece of paper, with five or six items to select from. No prices and we didn't ask, we just ordered. When the plates came out the portions were large and beautifully presented with sliced avocados flaring out along the edges of the plates with seeds sprinkled on top. The attention to presentation gave me the impression we might be in for a rather large bill. I was SHOCKED when the total came to RD$375... that's about US$8... for two plates. So that's the deal. If you're not going to Kalenda, you're not living.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 31, 2015

Excellent varied dish every day - Edit

I am lucky that this restaurant is close to my where I reside when I work in Santo Domingo. I've never been disappointed. Very well prepared and presented vegan fare at a good price. Their lunch includes a soup and a hot infused tea with the main course. The main course is changed every day so one could eat there everyday of the week without repeating a dish. I brought a non vegan friend there and he liked the food but he said it did not fill him as much as he is use to. I believe the amount of food is spot on. If you are still hungry I would suggest a fruit juice and/or one of their home made muffins which should satisfy a big appetite.
The style of restaurant is laid back, simple and reggae music is usually playing in the background. The daily lunch plate will run you $250 pesos or around $5.50 US. For this quality of food, thoughtful details and preparation/presentation, I find this to be a bargain.
Take out and delivery is available.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 30, 2015

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 30, 2015

Pros: Innovative cuisine, Friendly service

ellytravelgirl 10 Jun 2015 - thanx a lot John, you cant imagine how helpful this is, as I'm moving to dom rep in october, i really thought i wouldnt be able to find anything vegan or veggie at all, so its a great relief.i cant wait to visit this place, although i will be on the other side of the island :/

Return to Santo Domingo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kalenda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.