Kalapawai Market

• Health Store
Contact 808-262-4359

306 S Kalaheo Ave, Kailua, Hawaii, USA, 96734

Carries some produce, local and organic items. Deli has fresh and cooked veggies as well as a vegan bagel sandwich with veggies and hummus. Has another veggie sandwich that can be made vegan with the omission of dairy cheese. Soy milk available for coffee and has some vegan cookies available to buy. Close to Kailua Beach Park.

First Review by DollyWiggles

Fresh and Flexible Deli Menu - Edit

I ate here twice while staying with relatives on O'ahu. This would be considered veg-friendly, as my relatives dug in to beef and turkey offerings. I got a vegetarian wrap-- it was HUGE-- and it was very tasty, so thought is going into the ingredients.

The second time we ate here, I didn't want so much in my stomach all at one time, so I looked over the salad menu. Trying to avoid cheese, I decided on a nice green salad that listed turkey as its sole animal-based protein. I asked the pleasant young man at the counter if I could have avocado in place of the turkey, and he assured me it would be no problem, that all items are made to order.

Very nice, and enough items in the case and on the menu that can be adapted to fit your needs. It's fresh and made on the spot, which is a HUGE thing in my book. As noted, it's just half a block to the beachfront in a public park, next to some residential places. If you're there, don't hesitate.

Pros: Food made to order, Flexibility of substitutions, Friendliness of staff

Cons: Hot inside, Parking can be limited at times

So helpful! - Edit

First off it's worth noting that their deli hours are 7am - 8pm.

We found it because we were trying to find Lanikai beach and stopped by for directions. When I noticed they had a deli I had to see what they had for food options because I always check for vegan or veganizable items when I'm somewhere food is available.

We ended up getting the hummus bagel(veggies and hummus, and I checked to make sure the bagel itelf was vegan) but I also noticed there was a veggie sandwhich you could make vegan by removing the dairy cheese. If you go there and you're not in the mood for a sandwhich they had a a pretty decent selection of raw and cooked veggies and some corn on the cob. I was actually impressed.

I also appreciated that they had dairy-free milk available for their coffee and some vegan cookies.

It was really cool to find a place with so many option in a small town, albeit one by a fairly famous beach, still very cool.

Pros: friendly staff, nice location

Return to Kailua Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kalapawai Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 640 times since Nov 2012.