Kasikci Dede Cig Kofte

Contact +902126674337

Mis Sokak 24, Beyogulu, Istanbul, Turkey,

Previously named Kahta Cigkofte, but changed name in early 2014, same owner. Cigkofte is southern Turkish specialty. Traditionally prepared with raw meat, however usage of raw meat is forbidden since a decade. Cigkofte places like Kahta use ground walnut and almond instead of meat, together with bulgur and spices. All food is vegan, only a drink type (ayran) contains milk.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Turkish

First Review by srodriguezch

Don't recommend!! - Edit

They only have menu in Turkish and because I had no clue what it said, I was trying to ask the staff for help. The man behind the counter was really unfriendly and didn't want to help me. I tried sign language and everything but we just couldn't understand each other. The man was actually laughing at me with other customers. I didn't feel welcomed at all, so I decided to leave. I only recommend this restaurant if you speak Turkish! Otherwise you are going to feel humiliated!!

Delicious & Cheap - Edit

The place is small, with very friendly staff. Cig Kofte is a delicious and typical turkish food. Its a nice alternative to Falafel! However, no other options on the menue.

Pros: cheap, delicious

Cons: No options

I was not into it - Edit

Ok, I admit this one eluded me! I had it twice -- once I went and ordered a wrap, and another time someone bought one of their party boxes. The experience for me was similar both times...

I assume the kofte is supposed to be room temp? To me,this made the fake-meat aspect less than appealing. It also followed (apparent) Turkish tradition, with little in the way of vegetable accoutrement (it was thin outside of the fake meat). Finally, with the sauces (and I'm not sure where the flavor would be without it), it was highly acidic. And I like tart -- but this was a bit over the top.

They were very nice (though, quite understandably, the ones working when I was there spoke little English, so in my ignorance of Turkish I had to stumble along -- which meant the wrap, but I'm not sure what their selection would have been for me otherwise -- perhaps greater) and the location is handy to Taksim and a couple other veg spots. I'm glad it exists and clearly other people like it, but even though I love street food, I just did not see the appeal of the food, sad to say.

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice workers, Handy location (for some)

Cons: Taste was not to my liking, Accoutrements lacking

SO GOOD - Edit

So having spent the last couple of weeks in Bulgaria, and seeing nothing but grilled vegetables after grilled vegetables after grilled vegetables, I was really excited to find some delicious Turkish food. And Kasikci Dede Cig Kofte (man, that's a mouthful) certainly satisfied that. They seem to make essentially one thing, which is their delicious nut-made-fake-meat-thing in a tortilla, with a bunch of vegetables and some sauces. It's awesome. Like, super super good. After having one, I couldn't resist a second. Spicy, tasty, with a bunch of rich flavors. Then they even give you a free little cup of tea afterwards. Apparently I was lucky enough to hit Monday's, when everything is half off, so each wrap was only 2 lira ($1), though I guess usually they're 4 lira ($2) a piece. Awesome little place (just a note, it's not right on the corner, it's just a little bit up the side street. Super tiny, it has like two tables)

Pros: Super Tasty, Ridiculously Cheap, Friendly Staff

Cons: Don't speak english

good service and great cheap snack - Edit

Had this for a light dinner and it was fabulous. Very cheap and the staff there was very nice although we could barely communicate. Definitely will be back again for another quick snack after a few drinks!

Return to Istanbul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kasikci Dede Cig Kofte closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2777 times since Jun 2013.