Kaffe O - Botanic

+44-2890642434

73 Botanic Ave, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT7 1JL

Serves meat, vegan options available. Nordic inspired coffee shop (has another branch on Ormeau Road). All of the soups, stews and salads are always vegetarian and often vegan. Also offers a range of vegetarian and vegan breakfast and lunch items. Offers soy and almond milk for coffees. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-10:00pm, Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, European, Nordic, Non-veg

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Good food - Edit

Delicious food - I had a vegan brownie (warm from the oven!) and a juice, then a coffee, then we ended up staying for lunch when I had the flatbread sandwich with smoky black beans, spicy tomato salsa and roasted sweet potatoes. Service was very prompt and friendly, nice music and atmosphere. Two small criticisms, though. First, vegan food was clearly marked (vg) on the specials blackboard but not marked at all on the menu - I worked out for myself that the sweet potato flatbread sandwich was vegan and then checked with my server. Second, there was no soft seating - hard wooden benches and hard chairs - I get that this is consistent with the Nordic design but I do like to sink into a comfy sofa! However overall it was good and I will be back.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Friendly prompt service

Cons: Hard seating, Printed menu doesn't mark food 'vegan'

The Nuts - Edit

Love this place. For people who have been paying as much attention to the eateries that come and go on botanic, this was the original Boojum, and queues used to spill out on to the street - which made it look better than it was as the queue only began just inside the door.

Kaffee O I knew from the Ormeau road, after cycling down to check it out. Since then, Kaffee O has become one of my favorite places to eat.
The coffee is the absolute best in Belfast. If I ask you if you want to go for a coffee, I'm talking about here. Great balance on the taste- rich, smooth and not astringent. Nero/Costa/franchises always a burn and astringency to it.
The traybakes and dessert type goodies are incredibly tasty and the caramel squares close to perfect.

Lunches rotate every day, but it seems nearly all veggie and mostly vegan, with a healthy focus: salads, soups and veggie stews as well as curries, etc.

My tip is to order something that won't take them long to prepare, such as the soup or stew and rye bread so you get served quickly. Once more, as its good this place will get incredibly bunged at lunch time, but even recently pushing past a huge queue for take out and getting the only 2 recently vacated seats, I'd say it took them no more than 5 minutes for them to get our food out, followed closely by the coffees.

The seating is functional but not luxurious, and some signs of wear on the walls, but I honestly don't care as the food and coffee is of a consistently high standard.

Offers vegan ice cream to go when weather is good.
I'd give it 5 stars but as not exclusively veggie, I can't. :(

Pros: Delicious food , Great coffee, Great service

Cons: Not cheap

Best coffee in Botanic - Edit

Great coffee.
They offer a veggie soup and stew daily along with salads etc. From what I've seen, the soup / stew is often - but not always - vegan.
Very healthy and wholesome. As I've already said, their coffee offering is really well done, and although they don't reinvent the wheel doing it, it's good.
The dining area is minimalistic and modern, but not overly. Think IKEA! There are tables but at peak times, it might be tough to get one.
The wait for food is usually OK, but things can get hectic at peak times (Weekday lunches usually).
They use very good takeaway containers from Vegware. Kudos to them as it reflects the thought that goes into everything they do.
The restaurant is licensed too, incase you feel like a craft beer.
They offer great veggie traybakes too. Their caramel square / millionaire's shortbread is divine. Just don't tell your personal trainer if you get one!
Price point is high though.
The only thing that grinds my gears - see cons below. Coffee make you poop people! This is a very common thing for a coffee place to do & I can't be the only one who wonders at it.

Pros: Great quality, Healthy, diverse food with a changing offering

Cons: Pricey!, Only one toilet! At a coffee place!

Nice for an occasional treat... - Edit

Date: Monday 12 September 2016 at 5pm.

Food: Beautiful, fresh and different to what is usually offered in Belfast. Good vegetarian and vegan options with a Scandinavian influence. I opted for the Brød, a rye-bread sandwich filled with black beans, hummus, roast sweet potatoes and spinach, served with dressed leaf salad and coleslaw.

Price: Expensive at circa £9.00 for one sandwich and one black coffee.

Decor/ Ambience: Pleasant enough, if somewhat uncomfortable. Think bright, minimal, Scandinavian design, but a little on the rickety side. The table I sat at was shaky and unstable, chairs are uncomfortable and tables far too close together for any privacy in conversation.

Service: Polite, pleasant and quick.

Overall: Kaffe O is not somewhere I would visit very often as I just don't find it comfy or pleasant to sit in. However, food and coffee is excellent, if a bit overpriced, so it's nice for an occasional treat.

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kaffe O - Botanic closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.