Kafe 26A - Beyoglu

Contact 0090-2122436085

26-A Tel Sokak, Beyoglu (at Istiklal Avenue), Istanbul, Turkey,

A collective cafe run by an anarchist-leaning political group in Istanbul called DAF. Previously served meat, now have dropped all meat options off the menu and made the place entirely vegetarian. Prepares snacks such as toasted cheese sandwiches and toasted vegan (green pepper, tomato, olive spread) sandwiches. Sometimes there are hot stews and always serves pasta. Zapatista coffee is available as well. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Western

First Review by charlottesometimes

so-so - Edit

I really like this place and the people working there. But the vegan sandwich is just really boring, it will get you saturated, but that's it, nothing special. The coffee is also not really got. This place surely needs some improvement regarding food and drinks.

Pros: politics

Cons: food

Not great.. - Edit

We stayed in Istanbul for 8 days recently and although most good restaurants we found had some good vegan options and most staff knew exactly what vegan was and were extremely helpful - we thought we might try a vegan restaurant so we went to Kafe 26A.

I am a vegan and I was thoroughly disappointed. My boyfriend ordered the pasta - which was basically just plain spaghetti with minimal tomato sauce and a herb - which we think was mint. It was okay but really didn't have much taste and was probably one of the most bland pasta dishes I have ever eaten. I ordered the vegan sandwich - which was basically a white baguette with some salad on it - not sauce and not much salad - just cucumber, tomato & lettuce. Pretty much the worst salad sandwich I have eaten.

The staff were friendly and the meals were extremely cheap - these are the only positives to our experience. I would definitely not go back.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly Staff

Cons: Food is pretty bland, Poor vegan choices

Fresh and inexpensive - Edit

This place looks small from the outside, but once you go in it turns into a surprisingly big area which also has outdoor seating at the far end.

The menu is straightforward and uncomplicated. The place has a very underground, studenty feel to it and seems to be busy a lot of the time.

I tried the tomato & pepper pasta, and also some of the potato wedges. The pasta sauce tasted very fresh, although was maybe a bit too simple in terms of ingredients (some extra olives or olive oil based dressing would have helped). The potato wedges were excellent.

The service was a little bit slow but it's not such a big deal considering the low prices and fresh preparation.

Pros: Good food, Very reasonable prices, Unique atmosphere

Cons: Some menu items a little too basic, Place looks a bit scruffy, Can be busy at times

good price - Edit

They have lots of vegan alternative. They make vegan sandwich, vegan toast, vegan pasta with tomato souce, vegan pancakes with tahini. But ingredients weren't enough in the vegan toast and sandwich.

Pros: good price, ambient

Cons: slow serving

Return to Istanbul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kafe 26A - Beyoglu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.